Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mr Tongariro Erupts

Mr Tongariro Erupts

Mt Tongariro has erupted, with ash fall closing roads and prompting a potential threat warning for central North Island regions.

The eruption at 11.50pm last night threw rocks and spewed ash from the Te Mari craters, near Ketetahi hot springs, on the northern side of the mountain, GNS Science said.

Civil Defence said volcanic activity could pose a threat to Waikato, Hawke's Bay, Gisborne, Manawatu-Whanganui, Bay of Plenty and Taranaki.

People living in those areas were advised to stay indoors with all the windows and doors closed and listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions.

The Desert Road section of State Highway 1, northeast of the mountain, and State Highway 46, to the north, had been closed due to the ash.

Ash had reportedly fallen as far east as Napier, police said.

Inspector Ian Harris, of police central communications, said search and rescue teams would be sent up the mountain at dawn to check that no one had been stranded in huts and an incident management centre was being set up at Whakapapa Village.

There had been no reports of injuries or damage because of the eruption and no evacuation notices had been issued, he said.

However, GNS Science duty volcanologist Michael Rosenberg said some people in the Lake Rotoaira area had self-evacuated following the eruption.

There had been reports of "red hot rocks being thrown out of the crater", several loud explosions and lightning when the eruption occurred and ash had fallen 5cm deep on SH46, he said.

The eruption had been "really unexpected".

"You can measure and monitor but sometimes mother nature will do her own thing."

GNS Science planned to send observers to the mountain later this morning, Rosenberg said.

There were five reported eruptions from the Te Mari craters between 1855 and 1897 but they had been dormant until now, the GeoNet website said.

Link: Mt Tongariro Erupts, Warning For Central North Island... | Stuff.co.nz

R93
    Bloody Hell!!! I shot a few deer of its slopes this time last year. You would only know it was a volcano by its shape.

My mate lives 3k west of that eruption on 46 cant contact him ,( "red hot rocks being thrown out of the crater", several loud explosions and lightning when the eruption occurred and ash had fallen 5cm deep on SH46 ) Ash as far as Napier - must be nervous times for them down there .

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Dont worry about them, worry about Taupo
    If Taupo were ever to go up again there would be barely enough time to bend over and kiss your arse goodbye!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thats right, growing up in Taupo with regular earthquakes and lots of volcanic activity, we were told its good to have these. Start worrying when it goes quiet. Venting every decade or so is good. Lying dormant for 2000 years is bad

*edit* apparently not true, maybe out resident geologist could comment? Yellowstone National park is tipped as the next big super volcano, and its been giving of warning signs for years
    Last edited by Pointer; 07-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Thats right, growing up in Taupo with regular earthquakes and lots of volcanic activity, we were told its good to have these. Start worrying when it goes quiet. Venting every decade or so is good. Lying dormant for 2000 years is bad

*edit* apparently not true, maybe out resident geologist could comment? Yellowstone National park is tipped as the next big super volcano, and its been giving of warning signs for years
    I have heard that on some Nat Geo documentary.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Super Volcano? That sounds like a movie title or something

Seems like it's the north island's time for some bad mother nature stories eh! F it, if we have earthquakes and eruptions, no tourist is going to want to come here anyway. Perfect time to launch this stuff too haha http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...tographs-2684/
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Caretaker
    The nutrient/mineral rich ash falling in the high country will improve the Sika antlers i'd say. We had vegitation growing quickly after the last ash cloud drifted eastward.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The nutrient/mineral rich ash falling in the high country will improve the Sika antlers i'd say. We had vegitation growing quickly after the last ash cloud drifted eastward.
    Silver lining to every (ash) cloud!
    Spanners likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Bloody Hell!!! I shot a few deer of its slopes this time last year. You would only know it was a volcano by its shape.
    which slopes? gps co-ordinates?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    which slopes? gps co-ordinates?
    I got about 28 waypoints do you want them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I got about 28 waypoints do you want them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Yes
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Annoying lack of any pictures or video. OK it happened at night but where are the film crews now?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

You can smell the sulphur in the air.