Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: MSSA length and "Approved" A cat Police Policy

MSSA length and "Approved" A cat Police Policy

For those not on facebook, cut and pasted from Firearm Owners United NZ. I didnt see a thread on this yet, no doubt I will find it after I post this

New police policies for the approval of "A Cat" firearms to enter the approved firearms list. Be warned - this affects all NZ licensed gun owners!
    The two most worrying policies are:
    1) "A Cat" firearms must now have a civilian use which police approve of.This gives police complete control over what you do and what you shoot.
    2) Incomplete firearms - eg AR15 receivers, rifle chassis must be assembled into their complete format. Once approved, that receiver/chassis is only allowed to be sold in that complete format. This means with brand X rail, Model Y trigger, model Z stock. The receiver/chassis can not be sold in any other configuration.
    The document then goes on to elaborate on MSSA length policies.
    To summarise:
    1) Length is measured collapsed. Under 762mm your gun is a pistol.
    2) If you purchased an MSSA under the old police approved policy and you cant make the gun comply you must hand it in for destruction without compensation.
    A question to our politicians - Paula Bennett , Ron Mark - NZ First MP, Richard Prosser MP - New Zealand First List MP, David Seymour. At what point does your party stand up to Police policy makers and stop them from hounding 250,000 licenced firearm owners with ultra vires policies that do nothing to prevent crime?
    A question to former head of gun control Joe Green - how do you feel about your legacy of repport with all NZ licenced firearm owners being thrown out the window?
    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def..._-approval.pdf
    Last edited by Chilli_Dog; 21-03-2017 at 08:53 PM.

From what I read on the Police link is that most applies to new imports.
    And it says people can change their short rifles back to legal length, or leave as a B, or surrender for destruction.

This is what it says in the report regarding length:

Owners of semi-automatic firearms with folding stocks which measure less than 762
    mm in length when the stock is folded, who lawfully obtained the firearm as an MSSA
    rather than a pistol, while Police policy allowed for this, will be given suitable time to
    comply with the legal consequences of this firearm being a pistol. The licence holder
    can either:
    transfer the firearm to a Collectors’ endorsement (where it must remain inoperable);
    or
    return the firearm to its original compliant format; or
    dispose of the firearm lawfully to another licence holder; or
    hand the firearm into Police for destruction without compensation.

Not quite what they say in the facebook post.

Ballsacks

Its not just the MSSA length (although how something that is permanently attached isnt counted as part of the length is odd given the reason for the length measurement in the first place)

The Police have also given themselves complete discretion as to whether an A cat has "A civilian use which Police approves of"

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Its not just the MSSA length (although how something that is permanently attached isnt counted as part of the length is odd given the reason for the length measurement in the first place)

The Police have also given themselves complete discretion as to whether an A cat has "A civilian use which Police approves of"
    It is that last bit that troubles me most......Hunting....oh how barbaric,murderer are you? Target shooting...why would you want to do that,training to be the next mass murderer are you?

There will be no legal reason for a citizen to own a firearm of any type if this is allowed into law mark my words.
    Beaker, blake, Tommy and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Basically to stop 50 cal and probably other big caliber target rifles.

"A civilian use which Police approves of"

And as for weapons greater than 12.7mm / .50 cal ... a 12ga shotgun has a bore of roughly 18-20mm. Guess that's duck-hunting gone - potentially. A category licence holders: now is when you can take a sip of your coffee and sit up and take note.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Basically to stop 50 cal and probably other big caliber target rifles.
    and then 45 then 357 then 30 then 22,eventually you will have to call the police to euthanize your house cow that got savaged by the gang members pitbull down the road. They will then shoot it 257 times non fatally and it will run out on the road in front of your kids school bus which will swerve and roll down the bank into the river killing all on board and all because you as a civi were no longer allowed a firearm with which you could shoot the fucken dog.

It may take a generation or two but this is where it will end up......That is unless we have another world war which is extremely likely and who knows what the end result of that could be.
    jakewire, Ryan, Beaker and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    and then 45 then 357 then 30 then 22,eventually you will have to call the police to euthanize your house cow that got savaged by the gang members pitbull down the road. They will then shoot it 257 times non fatally and it will run out on the road in front of your kids school bus which will swerve and roll down the bank into the river killing all on board and all because you as a civi were no longer allowed a firearm with which you could shoot the fucken dog.

It may take a generation or two but this is where it will end up......That is unless we have another world war which is extremely likely and who knows what the end result of that could be.
    Oh, that's an easy one. With the neutering and pussifying of anyone who goes outside without hand being held. We are already 2 gens into this. I think mine was the last with male school teachers that were actually respected, and that was South Africa. No one in my year had had the cane when I got to NZ, and acted like it.
    veitnamcam and keneff like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

funny thing is I once had a lot of respect for the police an would have gladly helped or assisted them in their duties or enquiries should the need arrise

Now I wouldn't bother calling them, (actually the only reason to call them would be to get the Case number for your insurance claim), nor do I consider them as a group, either honest or trustworthy. The power has gone to their heads, everyone is equal but some groups are more equal than others apparently.

Make of that what you will

Spend hundreds of dollars complying with a bullshit policy made by fuckin morons that will achieve absolutely nothing beneficial for anyone whatsoever, or autonomous non-compliance, I wonder which is easier

The "civilian use approves of" part is certainly most troubling. It begs the question of what more is to come??

But hey look on the bright side they can now spy on us easier now with the new reforms that made it in today: Spying reforms allowing GCSB to spy on Kiwis pass into law with little opposition

And look, 5 years prison sentence for any information leaked about Government to stop potential "Snowdens" that's a better prison sentence then criminal offending with firearms. Good to see Govt looking out for it's best interests
    Jexla likes this.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    What is COLFO, pnz and nzda and etc.. groups doing about this?
    Pointer likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    What is COLFO, pnz and nzda and etc.. groups doing about this?
    My guess is NOTHING cause it (at this point) is only really about "scary" guns that are short, black or have big holes down the barrel not their deer rifles / duck guns.
    They will all shop those out in the hope that they might be left alone or at least till last.
    Beaker, blake, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    My guess is NOTHING cause it (at this point) is only really about "scary" guns that are short, black or have big holes down the barrel not their deer rifles / duck guns.
    They will all shop those out in the hope that they might be left alone or at least till last.
    Pnz deal with scary black guns for 3gun tho yes?