Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: mushroom poisoning ??

mushroom poisoning ??

just running this past you guys im putting this down to some mushrooms that a friend gave me thet looked like your common field mushroom the symptoms i got about 3-4 hours after eating them were i started getting a bit of a chesty cough and got a bit flemmy coughing up small amounts and spitting it out my eyes swelled up and so did my lips also had a really runny nose about 2hrs later cough and chestyness and runny nose went away lips and eyes were still swolen eyes a bit watery 5 hrs later swelling going down lips on inside of mouth feel blistered but cant see anything any ideas cheers

Not good. Mushrooms can really fuck you internally (kidneys liver etc) Go see a doctor or call the poisons center
    veitnamcam and Sideshow like this.

yea its a bit weird daughter had a few shes ok i had quite a lot never had a problem with them before maybe allergic for some reason

I wouldn't be sitting there asking a hunting forum mate, I would be down the quacks asap.
    gadgetman likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

surely cant hurt asking theres some medical type people on here im feeling ok now drinking plenty of water took the day off work tho

Were they a bit lighter in colour underneath and smell more like almonds? Get to the quack.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

All mushrooms are edible,some only once.
    Get checked
    timattalon likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

#solidfrontaxle

AIRGUN101.COM

Yeah man i agree you got to get yourself to the doctor ASAP. No time for second guessing. Hope you're okay bud.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Take one of the offending mushrooms to the quack might help, if you haven't gobbled them all.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Toxin Toxicity Effects
    Alpha-amanitin Deadly Causes liver damage 13 days after ingestion. Principal toxin in genus Amanita.
    Phallotoxin Non-lethal Causes gastrointestinal upset. Also found in poisonous Amanitas.
    Orellanine Deadly Causes kidney failure within 3 weeks after ingestion. Principal toxin in genus Cortinarius.
    Muscarine Potentially Deadly Can cause respiratory failure. Found in genus Omphalotus.
    Gyromitrin Deadly Causes neurotoxicity, gastrointestinal upset, and destruction of blood cells. Principal toxin in genus Gyromitra.
    Coprine Non-lethal Causes illness when consumed with alcohol. Principal toxin in genus Coprinus.
    Ibotenic acid Potentially Deadly Causes neurotoxicity. Principal toxin in Amanita muscaria, A. pantherina, and A. gemmata.
    Muscimol Non-lethal Causes CNS depression and hallucinations. Principal toxin in Amanita muscaria, A. pantherina, and A. gemmata.
    Psilocybin and psilocin Non-lethal Causes CNS arousal and hallucinations. Principal 'toxins' in psilocybin mushrooms, many of which belonging to the genus Psilocybe (used recreationally).
    Arabitol Non-lethal Causes gastrointestinal irritation in some people.
    Bolesatine Non-lethal Causes gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, nausea.
    Ergotamine Deadly Affects the vascular system and can lead to loss of limbs and death. An alkaloid found in genus Claviceps.

Not much of this sounds fun. Especially the 1-3 days later liver damage, and the 3 week from now kidney failure. Bet you sitting on a dialysis machine wasn't one of your new years resolutions...
    northdude likes this.

Shit bet he feels better now Tommy
    bully, northdude and Tommy like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Hey @northdude - Sounds like a moderate to severe allergic reaction to me for starters -symptom wise - although there may due to the blistering in the mouth be some toxicity thrown in there for good measure.

Any airway related symptoms need to be treated seriously especially affecting breathing and a large production of mucous. Burning sensation of the lips and tongue are also good markers for servere allergy reaction - its usually the bodys way of telling you don't eat that shit! Swelling of eyes and throat to follow within 10-15 minutes is usual.

Lucky you didn't need a epi-pen to get things to calm down like some have to have on them. Or the missus doing a wee tracheaotomy with a small sharp knife and a ball pen.

Serious stuff mate - get it checked and an allergy test if you have some of the offending mushy's still around take'em with you for toxicity testing.

You may find your serious infection last year may well have upset the apple cart with respect to your resistance and changed a whole lot of how it reacts to stuff. As the boys say - get it checked.
    CD
    northdude likes this.

cheers i rang the poisons centre and doc fitted me in he seemed to think an alergic reaction as no gastro stuff it was a bit weird but i feel fine now i also checked with the friend that ate lots of them as well hes fine as well
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    cheers i rang the poisons centre and doc fitted me in he seemed to think an alergic reaction as no gastro stuff it was a bit weird but i feel fine now i also checked with the friend that ate lots of them as well hes fine as well
    That's what all zombies say
    northdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    If it occurs again @northdude I would recommend a PICC and a Baxter :-)
    northdude likes this.