Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: mushroom poisoning ??

  1. #1
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,319

    mushroom poisoning ??

    just running this past you guys im putting this down to some mushrooms that a friend gave me thet looked like your common field mushroom the symptoms i got about 3-4 hours after eating them were i started getting a bit of a chesty cough and got a bit flemmy coughing up small amounts and spitting it out my eyes swelled up and so did my lips also had a really runny nose about 2hrs later cough and chestyness and runny nose went away lips and eyes were still swolen eyes a bit watery 5 hrs later swelling going down lips on inside of mouth feel blistered but cant see anything any ideas cheers

  2. #2
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,681
    Not good. Mushrooms can really fuck you internally (kidneys liver etc) Go see a doctor or call the poisons center
    veitnamcam and Sideshow like this.

  3. #3
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,319
    yea its a bit weird daughter had a few shes ok i had quite a lot never had a problem with them before maybe allergic for some reason

  4. #4
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,538
    I wouldn't be sitting there asking a hunting forum mate, I would be down the quacks asap.
    gadgetman likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  5. #5
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,319
    surely cant hurt asking theres some medical type people on here im feeling ok now drinking plenty of water took the day off work tho

  6. #6
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    15,735
    Were they a bit lighter in colour underneath and smell more like almonds? Get to the quack.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  7. #7
    Ex stick thrower madjon_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond. Tasman.and Oz
    Posts
    2,908
    All mushrooms are edible,some only once.
    Get checked
    timattalon likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

    #solidfrontaxle

    AIRGUN101.COM

  8. #8
    Cook Angus_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The big smoke
    Posts
    1,655
    Yeah man i agree you got to get yourself to the doctor ASAP. No time for second guessing. Hope you're okay bud.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

  9. #9
    Member Dundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Way East of D'Vagas
    Posts
    16,352
    Take one of the offending mushrooms to the quack might help, if you haven't gobbled them all.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

    tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

  10. #10
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,681
    Toxin Toxicity Effects
    Alpha-amanitin Deadly Causes liver damage 13 days after ingestion. Principal toxin in genus Amanita.
    Phallotoxin Non-lethal Causes gastrointestinal upset. Also found in poisonous Amanitas.
    Orellanine Deadly Causes kidney failure within 3 weeks after ingestion. Principal toxin in genus Cortinarius.
    Muscarine Potentially Deadly Can cause respiratory failure. Found in genus Omphalotus.
    Gyromitrin Deadly Causes neurotoxicity, gastrointestinal upset, and destruction of blood cells. Principal toxin in genus Gyromitra.
    Coprine Non-lethal Causes illness when consumed with alcohol. Principal toxin in genus Coprinus.
    Ibotenic acid Potentially Deadly Causes neurotoxicity. Principal toxin in Amanita muscaria, A. pantherina, and A. gemmata.
    Muscimol Non-lethal Causes CNS depression and hallucinations. Principal toxin in Amanita muscaria, A. pantherina, and A. gemmata.
    Psilocybin and psilocin Non-lethal Causes CNS arousal and hallucinations. Principal 'toxins' in psilocybin mushrooms, many of which belonging to the genus Psilocybe (used recreationally).
    Arabitol Non-lethal Causes gastrointestinal irritation in some people.
    Bolesatine Non-lethal Causes gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, nausea.
    Ergotamine Deadly Affects the vascular system and can lead to loss of limbs and death. An alkaloid found in genus Claviceps.


    Not much of this sounds fun. Especially the 1-3 days later liver damage, and the 3 week from now kidney failure. Bet you sitting on a dialysis machine wasn't one of your new years resolutions...
    northdude likes this.

  11. #11
    Member Dundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Way East of D'Vagas
    Posts
    16,352
    Shit bet he feels better now Tommy
    bully, northdude and Tommy like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

    tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

  12. #12
    Member Carpe Diem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    The foothills of the Waitak's
    Posts
    1,101
    Hey @northdude - Sounds like a moderate to severe allergic reaction to me for starters -symptom wise - although there may due to the blistering in the mouth be some toxicity thrown in there for good measure.

    Any airway related symptoms need to be treated seriously especially affecting breathing and a large production of mucous. Burning sensation of the lips and tongue are also good markers for servere allergy reaction - its usually the bodys way of telling you don't eat that shit! Swelling of eyes and throat to follow within 10-15 minutes is usual.

    Lucky you didn't need a epi-pen to get things to calm down like some have to have on them. Or the missus doing a wee tracheaotomy with a small sharp knife and a ball pen.

    Serious stuff mate - get it checked and an allergy test if you have some of the offending mushy's still around take'em with you for toxicity testing.

    You may find your serious infection last year may well have upset the apple cart with respect to your resistance and changed a whole lot of how it reacts to stuff. As the boys say - get it checked.
    CD
    northdude likes this.

  13. #13
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,319
    cheers i rang the poisons centre and doc fitted me in he seemed to think an alergic reaction as no gastro stuff it was a bit weird but i feel fine now i also checked with the friend that ate lots of them as well hes fine as well
    Dundee likes this.

  14. #14
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    cheers i rang the poisons centre and doc fitted me in he seemed to think an alergic reaction as no gastro stuff it was a bit weird but i feel fine now i also checked with the friend that ate lots of them as well hes fine as well
    That's what all zombies say
    northdude likes this.

  15. #15
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    cheers i rang the poisons centre and doc fitted me in he seemed to think an alergic reaction as no gastro stuff it was a bit weird but i feel fine now i also checked with the friend that ate lots of them as well hes fine as well
    If it occurs again @northdude I would recommend a PICC and a Baxter :-)
    northdude likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Poisoning birds
    By 199p in forum Off topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26-06-2013, 06:28 PM
  2. Lead poisoning of gamebirds in NZ
    By Mike H in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  3. Poisoning Stewart Island
    By Rushy in forum Off topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-10-2012, 09:40 PM
  4. Venison, Mushroom & Red Wine Pie
    By RimfireNZ in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-08-2012, 03:33 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20-08-2012, 07:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!