Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New laptop for school

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Its for the Daughter mate, Drama and sports are her electives.
    Drama and sport. Oh she NEEDS a laptop to study that.

What a crock.
    Use enough gun

Just like Mimms the First
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    And thats why in general I keep out of these type topics and havent suggested anything and leave it to Mr gadgetman, because I wouldnt suggest a dell to anyone.
    For why?

I have killed a large number of laptops. I can't say the Dell (current) is holding up better than anything else, I haven't had it long enough. I can say it's easier to work on. The keyboard is well-acceptable for typing, if a bit loud. The speakers have shit themselves (low quality, not dead, and probably because I put too many volts through them) but I use externals when movies/music.
    All-in, it's a decent machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    +1

The Chromebooks do what Chromebooks do and virtually nothing else. Can't add proper applications and most are built on cheap low power hardware because not a lot is expected of them.

Mac is the next step up, it is all based on PC hardware nowadays anyway. They build them small and light but not very serviceable. So many things are proprietary and expensive.

Cheap Windows PC's and Chromebooks often have memory and storage soldered to the boards and cannot be upgraded much, and when they fail are difficult to get your data from.

The ex lease PC laptops are a bit heavier, but robust and serviceable. A bit like the comparison between cars and light commercials of the 80's and 90's. They really hit a limit with processor speeds and size several years ago, all they are doing nowadays is cramming more processors onto the chip. Most of these extra processors are under utilised. They actually sell the ex-lease stuff for nearer 10-20% of original price as they have been written off as a business cost by the lease company and on sold to a retailer.
    Yup, Im no computer guy. In fact I despise the things..... And now I type off an ex lease HP from PB tech. Was MINT when we brought it.
    Use enough gun

I am typing this post on a 14 year old HP Netbook Its a bit worse for wear but still working bar a new battery a few years ago.
    Its a real speedy on with atom 1.6 processor and 4GB ram. It was their top of the line netbook when I brought it wasn't cheap then but is by todays prices.

Runs Windoze so won't go rotten like that Apple stuff!!

I think I got my moneys worth as its been raced rallied and rolled and still going although you can only have the screen in a certain angle now to see it after pup knocked it off the couch the other day

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Runs Windoze so won't go rotten like that Apple stuff!!
    Are you kidding??

There is literally a term in the industry known as "Windows Rot"

how to milk a sheep
    release a new apple product
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Are you kidding??

There is literally a term in the industry known as "Windows Rot"
    First ive seen that mentioned since the XP days. Sure you are not stuck in a windows hate rut?
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Konev View Post
    First ive seen that mentioned since the XP days. Sure you are not stuck in a windows hate rut?
    Quite.
    Windows is generally shit. It was still an issue in 7 (which was decent once you turned all the crap off) and since M$ doesn't re-write code, but rather piles more and more on top, i imagine it's still an issue in 10.
    I grudgingly use 8.1 (M$ spyware disabled, classic shell) It's fucking stupid.
    Here's a long list of reasons which I mostly agree with: https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html

The thing being, they've made the thing so obese, the minimum system requirements are now jiggabytes of everything, so users wont notice

Are you sure you're not stuck in a fan-boyism rut?