Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 2 Post By Reindeer
  • 8 Post By kiwijames
  • 3 Post By Reindeer
  • 2 Post By sako75
  • 3 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By smidey
  • 3 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Woody

Thread: Northland forests lousy with possums? F&B

Northland forests lousy with possums? F&B

So northland had been neglected and apparently lousy with pest's. So DOC need $10-$20m to control them. Does that mean blanket aerial topdressing.
    I as of the understanding that this it's one of the most unemployed parts of NZ. Could there be solutions for control method to employ some up there rather than the Doc go to poison. Thoughts?

| Stuff.co.nz
    7mmsaum and EeeBees like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    They're unemployed for a reason.
    199p, Savage1, tetawa and 5 others like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Make permits available even charge for them some of the forestry management guys do

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    They're unemployed for a reason.
    Being?

Yes a bit broad that james.
    Not everyone in Northland are deadbeats, sure they have their fair share we do also here in Wanganui maybe more than a fair share, but we cant tar everybody with a broad brush.

Rather than giving Doc 10-20 mil why not allocate that to WINZ and set up a work scheme to target the pests with a combination of trapping ground baiting etc.
    From what im told the problem with the Kauri is dieback not possoms.
    EeeBees, R93 and blake like this.

They must be talking about the far north as that info contradicts what I know of the whangarei area, especially whangarei heads.
    The forest here is in great condition, few possums and other pests due to the effort of locals and kiwi numbers are around 800 just in whangarei heads. Kauri die back is an issue here but everything else is good. To say northland had this issue isn't accurate, northland is a big area.

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Northland is anywhere north of Wellsford just as Southland is anywhere south of Pukekohe/Bombay
    gadgetman and tetawa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Northland is anywhere north of Wellsford just as Southland is anywhere south of Pukekohe/Bombay
    yeah i know where the boundaries of northland are, that's why i think they must be referring to the far north as i don't think there is that issue around the whangarei district. tarring the whole of northland with the issues of the far north which is common

Well, the bloody things seem to be increasing slowly but surely around these parts...I pestered the local head wallah from DOC back in the time about the department badgering for tokens for the possum...he smiled in a sanctimonious manner at me with a look as if he was thinking...go back to your knitting, girlie...heeho, knit one, purl one, knit two together We shot more possums in the vicinity of the DOC headquarters than just about anywhere!!

The idea of getting unemployed people to exterminate possums is a very good one; alas only a very very few will hack it...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Being?
    Being a rather throw away comment now that I think about it, but, to expect unemployed persons (anywhere, not just Northland) to trap possum successfully is more optimistic than the possibility of Donald Trump being made President of Mexico.
    Last edited by kiwijames; 26-05-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: regional exclusion included :)
    tetawa, BRADS and Gibo like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Yes a bit broad that james.
    Not everyone in Northland are deadbeats, sure they have their fair share we do also here in Wanganui maybe more than a fair share, but we cant tar everybody with a broad brush.

Rather than giving Doc 10-20 mil why not allocate that to WINZ and set up a work scheme to target the pests with a combination of trapping ground baiting etc.
    From what im told the problem with the Kauri is dieback not possoms.
    You be in dreamland if you think thats going to happen. Every area in NZ could argue that instead of dropping 1080. Theres only one answer, get that green rain falling from the sky in tons. It be the next good feel slogan created by the DOC witch doctors.... Save the Kauri of Northland, Battle of the tree eating Possums.
    PS If theres a problem with possums up there, whats happened to the battle of the birds program...whose saving those poor birds
    Last edited by deer243; 26-05-2016 at 08:47 PM.

the work that goes into eradicating pests here is funded by council and doc do some as well. it's working well, the kiwi have increased from 40 odd to 800 over the the time the pest eradication work has been going on due to releases and wild breeding. they even released a few robin here in the last few weeks. it's worth doing i think.
    kiwijames likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Being a rather throw away comment now that I think about it, but, to expect unemployed persons (anywhere, not just Northland) to trap possum successfully is more optimistic than the possibility of Donald Trump being made President of Mexico.
    He might not make President of Mexico but he may yet scare the living shit out of their neighbours.
    tetawa, Gibo and Tommy like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

on this topic Pio has just broadcast about what goes on here, it's a good watch but skip to 7:30 to see mt manaia baiting in particular.
    https://www.maoritelevision.com/tv/s...es-2-episode-1

I doubt the rasta on TV was DoC. Anyway there are bugger all deer in those forests so no reason for them to use the green rain so stop worrying
    blake likes this.