Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By res

Thread: NZ FAL due to expire

NZ FAL due to expire

Hello everyone.

My NZ FAL is about to expire in May. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to to return to NZ to reapply and return again (due to cost and leave from work) to be vetted unless I can get things lined up to do everything in a week. The option I have is to surrender my licence before it expires and when I return to NZ for a longer period of time (permanently and I don't know when that will be)pay the lower renewal fee and continue as a regular licence renewal.

I Hold a South Australian Firearms Licence now so was hoping if I come home to go hunting(probably only a week long trip once every 2 years) that I would be able to get a visitors licence and hunt on that, since I mainly reside in Australia. The difficulty I see with this is since I have an NZ passport whether I would be excluded from being allowed a visitors licence?

I will be getting hold of the local Arms Officer and ask their thoughts next week. But was hoping someone on here has had to deal with the same thing?

res
    You can have you your licence put on a in process state for any length of time if your AO is on with it, this way that can do there interviews etc before your return so when you return they just have to interview you and your legit on the next biz day after your interview (but without the bit of plastic).

I'm in this state right now
    Munsey likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Ok thanks. How long have you been in the "in process" state?

res
    Two years, would have been but had issues around storage of endorsed stuff and the police loosing paperwork between offices.

The fact I'm overseas due to the NZ govt may help my case,as would the fact I'm well known to my AO. but the sooner you talk to your AO the better.

Pm me if you want to chat
    Using Tapatalk

thanks for that res -im in the same boat-workin outta town for 3/12 stint.

Yea, I was overseas, when mine expired, couple times now, put on hold, till I got back.

Well surrendered my NZ FAL today. So can renew when I come back should I allow enough time.

No problems for me to get a visitors firearms licence with my Australian licence and NZ passport when coming back for visits. Thanks very much to the Firearms team at Christchurch Central station.