Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NZ Herald newspaper article - Time bomb Pigs released in South Westland

  1. #1
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    29,072

    NZ Herald newspaper article - Time bomb Pigs released in South Westland

    The article starts off - As many as 20 wild pigs have been released in South Westland, prompting an immediate cull to eradicate the four-legged "timebombs". There is speculation a hunter or hunters deliberately released the pigs in the area, which had been pig-free, and in only two weeks they have been spotted around the Paringa River and Lake Moeraki. The Department of Conservation began a cull three days after the first sighting on June 16, when its hunters shot two boars and two sows.

    I have heard of this sort of thing happening in pine forests in the North Island but surely hunters respect our native forests too much to introduce a threat to native fauna (snails, weka, etc).

    Under the Wild Animal Control Act, the maximum fine for releasing pigs is $50,000 but I suspect they will never find the idiot that did this.

  2. #2
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    The article starts off - As many as 20 wild pigs have been released in South Westland, prompting an immediate cull to eradicate the four-legged "timebombs". There is speculation a hunter or hunters deliberately released the pigs in the area, which had been pig-free, and in only two weeks they have been spotted around the Paringa River and Lake Moeraki. The Department of Conservation began a cull three days after the first sighting on June 16, when its hunters shot two boars and two sows.

    I have heard of this sort of thing happening in pine forests in the North Island but surely hunters respect our native forests too much to introduce a threat to native fauna (snails, weka, etc).

    Under the Wild Animal Control Act, the maximum fine for releasing pigs is $50,000 but I suspect they will never find the idiot that did this.
    Animal Health Board and Molesworth Station obviously with Doc and Govt approval have been releasing wild pigs on Molesworth in an effort to pinpoint pockets of TB on the station.

  3. #3
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Really depends on who is pushing this particular barrow whether the pig is an ecological bandit or not 'eh' 'rushy'

    For years DOC/ AHB and various Regional Councils have sought to drive a wedge between our hunting groups so they can pick us off one at a time.

    It is never wise to believe hunters or particularly pig hunters were involved in these sorts of cases. Experience over the years has taught us that these groups that seek the total eradication of all introduced animals in our native forests cant be trusted. Indeed their charter still calls for this total extermination.

  4. #4
    Impure Lead Flinger
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Greymouth
    Posts
    1,405
    Lol time bomb my rear end.... Pigs dont do to well on coast.. Too wet.. They will strughke or die out like every other pig population on coast....

  5. #5
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,234
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Lol time bomb my rear end.... Pigs dont do to well on coast.. Too wet.. They will strughke or die out like every other pig population on coast....
    I do agree with that statement pigs don't do well on the coast , but have herd of pigs in fiordland !

  6. #6
    Impure Lead Flinger
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Greymouth
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I do agree with that statement pigs don't do well on the coast , but have herd of pigs in fiordland !
    yea while maybe not flash... I cant see there ever being the problem the likes of nelson has hahah

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canterbury.
    Posts
    56
    Well i suppose you wont be able to complain about 1080 now. The dick heads that let them go should be be real proud ... All it does is give the AHB/ and DOC an excuse to bomb the place with MORE 1080.
    Have a look at whats happening with the Raikaia and thats due to pigs also . idiots.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chirstchurch
    Posts
    35
    Whats happening up the raikaia?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canterbury.
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Whats happening up the raikaia?
    Big outbreak of T.B The type has been tracked back to either the west coast or nelson . Found in a large number of pigs .
    The thoughts are they have been released !!!
    Now the whole area is going to be 1080 ed .
    Such a shame for the Raikaia Red Deer Herd .
    All due to pigs being released ,
    So you make up your mind if its a good thing or not !

  10. #10
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    29,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Really depends on who is pushing this particular barrow whether the pig is an ecological bandit or not 'eh' 'rushy'

    For years DOC/ AHB and various Regional Councils have sought to drive a wedge between our hunting groups so they can pick us off one at a time.

    It is never wise to believe hunters or particularly pig hunters were involved in these sorts of cases. Experience over the years has taught us that these groups that seek the total eradication of all introduced animals in our native forests cant be trusted. Indeed their charter still calls for this total extermination.
    I do agree Scribe that there is always a political spin to this sort of issue and I am certainly not one to encourage the bureaucrats in their quest to strip us of the right to hunt. I am not sure whether you read the article or not but I did smile when I read the bit that said "If they did pass on Tb to possums, they may need to be treated with 1080". Interesting use of the word "treated"

  11. #11
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
    Big outbreak of T.B The type has been tracked back to either the west coast or nelson . Found in a large number of pigs .
    The thoughts are they have been released !!!
    Now the whole area is going to be 1080 ed .
    Such a shame for the Raikaia Red Deer Herd .
    All due to pigs being released ,
    So you make up your mind if its a good thing or not !
    Grey ghost I'm not knocking your spin on the raikaia tb thing. Two months ago I was working on a large farm not far away from the station ( in fairness won't name) that was infected . The farmer That was well informed told me that it was infected beef cattle from the coast that had started it all . They went in and shot can't remember exact numbers 300 odd deer all clear of tb, something like 50 pigs and I'm pretty sure they where clear , and possums where infected . The hole area is getting 1080 . That was the spin I got I appologise if my take on it is not correct , maybe someone else knows more .

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canterbury.
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Grey ghost I'm not knocking your spin on the raikaia tb thing. Two months ago I was working on a large farm not far away from the station ( in fairness won't name) that was infected . The farmer That was well informed told me that it was infected beef cattle from the coast that had started it all . They went in and shot can't remember exact numbers 300 odd deer all clear of tb, something like 50 pigs and I'm pretty sure they where clear , and possums where infected . The hole area is getting 1080 . That was the spin I got I appologise if my take on it is not correct , maybe someone else knows more .
    When first disscovered , a hunter shot a pig with T.B.
    Then the original farm from where the pig was detected T.B in there cattle , And no they were not from the west coast !
    There was 1, 3yr stag shot by a venison opperator at the head of the Mathias , on the main divide with T.B
    and of the pigs shot , from over 200+ a number of those had T.B
    and yes some possums .

    As i stated the AHB linked it to either nelson or the west coast . and have checked all movements of stock , They beleave it has been brought in from a source not conected to any of the farms .
    Im not saying or dont know who or how but IF ....and only IF it was brought in from outside due to hunting its a fucking shame , Not only because of the 1080 , or the Raikaia Herd , but because theres allready lots of hunting to be had . Let alone the cost to all properties concerned .
    It dosen,t matter if its one or a thousand that have T.B but why put so much to risk .
    And why give the AHB / OR DOC more reasons to use 1080 ?

  13. #13
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,234
    Thanks greyghost for clearing that up. no matter how the story goes the ending is not good.

  14. #14
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    According to a Landcare paper I have liberating a pig carries no more risk than trucking in a sheep.

    MYCOBACTARIUM BOVIS INFECTION IN WILDLIFE
    JD Coleman and MM Cooke
    Landcare Research.
    Lincoln,
    In contrast. Some deer species and ferrets may act as vectors of the disease, but their role in transmitting TB to livestock is unclear. Hedgehogs, pigs, cats, sheep, and goats are now considered to be amplifier hosts, and spread the disease to other species only when inspected or their carcases scavenged. In the absence of infected possum populations, these species do not appear capable of maintaining the infection in their own populations and are not thought to be involved in the maintenence of TB in livestock........

    There have been outbreaks of M Bovis in sheep in New Zealand.
    18th March 2010... Sheep were put on movement control in Britain because of an outbreak of TB
    Excluding this Out break...The last three outbreaks...Northland, Southland and Taranaki The cause was tracked back to bad movement control.
    Last edited by Scribe; 27-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.

  15. #15
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    29,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    According to a Landcare paper I have liberating a pig carries no more risk than trucking in a sheep.

    MYCOBACTARIUM BOVIS INFECTION IN WILDLIFE
    JD Coleman and MM Cooke
    Landcare Research.
    Lincoln,
    In contrast. Some deer species and ferrets may act as vectors of the disease, but their role in transmitting TB to livestock is unclear. Hedgehogs, pigs, cats, sheep, and goats are now considered to be amplifier hosts, and spread the disease to other species only when inspected or their carcases scavenged. In the absence of infected possum populations, these species do not appear capable of maintaining the infection in their own populations and are not thought to be involved in the maintenence of TB in livestock........

    There have been outbreaks of M Bovis in sheep in New Zealand.
    18th March 2010... Sheep were put on movement control in Britain because of an outbreak of TB
    Excluding this Out break...The last three outbreaks...Northland, Southland and Taranaki The cause was tracked back to bad movement control.

    Scribe you are a veritable font of knowledge capable of eliminating all conjecture with well chosen fact in the simplest of vernacular. Doffing my hat as we speak!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Advice on hunting the South Island
    By silverfox22273 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 12:41 AM
  2. Interesting article Re- lead shot
    By Philipo in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 16-05-2012, 02:36 AM
  3. Article: Canada geese: They are not pests.
    By Baz in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 09:35 AM
  4. Dan Can = BOMB
    By Im2lazy in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!