Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: NZ Road Toll 2017

NZ Road Toll 2017

2017 Road Toll 380, worst since 2009 (when 284 people died).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/996...d-toll-says-AA

From Stuff.co.nz:

National road policing manager Superintendent Steve Greally agreed the majority of "road trauma" was caused by people making mistakes, but said those mistakes should not be happening.

There were too many instances of people driving too fast for the conditions, not wearing seatbelts, and using cellphones while driving, he said.

"There are so many people flouting that [cellphone] law it's ridiculous.

"It's really, really disappointing that people are still doing this stuff.

"Probably the most gutting part of it is the innocent people [affected]. Unfortunately, at times, they're the ones being collected in this as well by somebody who just couldn't care less."

There were a small number of drivers who displayed "pure evil" behaviour, such as speeding excessively, driving drunk, and passing dangerously or illegally, Greally said.

"It's not just careless it's deliberate, and evil. We're always interested in taking those vehicles off the road."

Greally acknowledged there were more vehicle kilometres being driven nowadays (up 15 per cent in the past four years), but said decision-making was the main problem.

Forgotmaboltagain+1

we drove over the Arthurs pass on Saturday morning and came home via the Lewis yesterday...seeing the B.S. behaviour with dickheads overtaking in dumb places and other complete muppets holding up traffic in winding places then going like clappers when its straight so no one can pass even if they have que of 20 behind them.... people on wrong side of road with no where to go etc etc its a wonder its not higher than it was.
    on flip side saw some really good driving eg we got in behind an ARATUA truck and trailer unit on way over,caught up with him going down the otira side after we stopped for ladies to have pit stop at Arthurs... we just kept in behind him as he knew the road really well and had great time down to Jacksons where we turned off.
    my Mrs drove quite a bit on way home while I had snooze and she was pulling over and letting cars past on regular basis,the wide spots to do this are a really good idea,we just need to educate more people to use them for this. also saw others who where traveling slower letting traffic past when the road allowed....its simple good manners,doesnt cost you any time and might just save some ones life.
    TAKE CARE OUT THERE
    no one wants a funeral to organise and no one wants to clean up the mess thats left behind.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    It’s the drunk driver that survives but kills someone that pisses me off.
    Have to agree that cellphones and other distractions probably claim a few too.
    timattalon likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

$500 dollar fine if you dont pull over in a passing lane or use the slow vehicle lane when you have traffic up you arse FAIL to stop for police, miss a turn and go straight to jail
    Steve123 likes this.

SiB
    I have no hesitation in using my truck horns to assist in the education of our muppet drivers..........

I had to smile the other day, got a text from my very proper church going mother who never let's a cuss word escape her lips:

Hi son, hope you guys are finding some time to relax a bit through the holiday period. Please take care if you're on the roads at all, we know you always do but it's all the other silly fucks you need to worry about... grrrrr. Love mum
    Shootm, veitnamcam, Beaker and 6 others like this.

I was struck by Mr Greally's non-standard vocabulary:

"There were a small number of drivers who displayed "pure evil" behaviour, such as speeding excessively, driving drunk, and passing dangerously or illegally, Greally said."
    "It's not just careless – it's deliberate, and evil. We're always interested in taking those vehicles off the road."

I went and looked it up:

evil
    ˈiːv(ə)l,ˈiːvɪl/Submit
    adjective
    profoundly immoral and wicked.
    "his evil deeds"
    synonyms: wicked, bad, wrong, morally wrong, wrongful, immoral, sinful, ungodly, unholy, foul, vile, base, ignoble, dishonourable, corrupt, iniquitous, depraved, degenerate, villainous, nefarious, sinister, vicious, malicious, malevolent, demonic, devilish, diabolic, diabolical, fiendish, dark, black-hearted; More
    (of a smell or sight) extremely unpleasant.
    "a bathroom with an ineradicably evil smell"
    synonyms: unpleasant, disagreeable, nasty, horrible, foul, filthy, vile; More
    noun
    profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.
    "his struggle against the forces of evil"
    synonyms: wickedness, bad, badness, wrong, wrongdoing, sin, sinfulness, ungodliness, immorality, vice, iniquity, turpitude, degeneracy, vileness, baseness, perversion, corruption, depravity, villainy, nefariousness, atrocity, malevolence, devilishness; More

It's idiot season, for sure. I've dobbed in one twat the other day - dude in an SUV that nearly wiped out a motorcyclist, the SUV overtaking from right up the arse of a truck, blind rising slight bend, on double yellows. The motorcyclist coming the other way probably needed a fresh set of undies
    Cordite likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I had to smile the other day, got a text from my very proper church going mother who never let's a cuss word escape her lips:

Hi son, hope you guys are finding some time to relax a bit through the holiday period. Please take care if you're on the roads at all, we know you always do but it's all the other silly fucks you need to worry about... grrrrr. Love mum
    Must've been autocorrect. She probably meant ".....other silly trucks..." No one likes us this time of year

people just want to be ahead of everyone else even though they get there only a few minutes faster.followed a horse truck when we where going to the north island last jan from just past culverden to springs junction we where about 15 behind it they did about 70 on the straights and less than 50 around corners and up the hills wouldn't pull over even when there was places for them to do it only one idiot got passed and he passed about 18 vehicles at once don't know how fast he was going but estimate over 160 with blind rise and after that a blind corner just as we passed a cop on side of road he tried to catch him but too dangerous and he pulled up after about 2km just luck that no one coming other way otherwise massive pile up.also people underestimate how fast a truck and trailer unit travel and how far it takes them to pull up.after driving through winton in a truck and trailer carting gravel only used to do 40km/h or less as when got close to pedestrian crossings people would just walk out with out looking and wonder why the wheels where locked up on the truck trying not to run them over.i guess they are only thinking of themselves and not what is around them.
    oraki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    No one likes us this time of year
    Not true, without truckies there would be no booze left in my fridge or stock at the Cafe left to sell

Impatience aggression arrogance and poor choices equal high road toll, I travel from Napier to Rotorua alot and always amazed at the stupidity I see and thankful I make it home every time from the stupidity I see

wenty for a drive today and everyone is driving well below the limit, had an asian driver using all the lanes and not proceeding thru green lights. there was a camper van on its side at yaldhurst rd chch after being t-boned by a car.
    but the highlight of the day is the amount of "mamil" cyclists oblivious to all road rules such as stop signs. with riding like that they will become pavement pizza
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

Its about time the "slow, ignorant, fail to pull over whilst others are following, steerers were targeted....

I refuse to call them drivers because if they were in fact driving they would notice the queue behind them, show some courtesy & pull over...

Its not too difficult to move over & let others pass, I have no problem doing it if I'm holding up traffic.