Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: NZ Road Toll 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Surprised no-one has mentioned the not-so-passive aggressive drivers. You know, those who gently speed up when you try to overtake them once you finally come to stretch with a passing lane. They do it so inconspicuously that their partners in the passenger seat likely don't notice that they're playing a murderous little game.

Or the truck drivers who understandably cannot keep an even speed in hilly country, what with a load on board. But they will go 100kph when they reach that level stretch with a passing lane.

...and of course the deceased yellow-skinned tourist who tried to overtake either of them gets the blame for another fatal crash. Bloody Asian drivers with their hole-in-the-wall driving licenses, bla bla blah. No, psycho local drivers.
    Wait till you meet these fuckers in a branded company vehicle!
    The 0800 number on the plate is small, so for them to ring it they must be right up my date.
    Boss did not look amused when I pointed out that the cunts complaining are breaking two laws allready.

Or the driver who in a passing lane slows down to 100 kph once past the vehicle they have passed leaving the vehicle behind sitting out in no mans land with the passing lane rapidly running out
    Shootm likes this.

Followed a truck and trailer unit from the Tarawera cafe on the Napier - Taupo, the last of the twisties, heading back to Taupo last Sat. He was cutting corners with the whole unit in the oncoming lane, great driving from a professional?
    What needs to change is driver training, drivers skills need to be enhanced, tests for licences much tougher with a practical on a track or rally course, with skid control, braking, cornering etc, licences need to have refreshers and a defensive driving course involved. Best thing I ever did was a good defensive during course and a rally drive with a rally School. I donít want to be in the 300+ this year!!
    The police campaign is very flawed and it must be based on revenue? They havenít changed banging on about speeding for years and with all the advancement in car safety itís getting worse?
    Last edited by Maca49; 02-01-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    veitnamcam, Steve123 and 223nut like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    It's a nightmare here in central this time of year, fucking idiot drivers and arrogant freedom campers.
    The road toll is horrendous , the grief it must cause and the first responders having to see some of those sights would haunt you for a life time.

I shake my head ....380 souls, only thing that I find ironic is the hype and bullshit around gun laws , 380 dead in road accidents and very little gun related deaths.
    It's not guns killing Kiwi's or tourist's it's transport.
    Be good to see the energy and money going in to road safety.
    I can't help but compare the two subjects also.
    Back in late November/early December the leading articles for a couple of nights in a row on the TV news were about the high road toll. Considerable time was spent interviewing experts and discussing speed etc.
    The very next topic was about that you kiwi who is making a name for himself in formula one. A similar amount of time was spent discussing formula one and driving at speed, as was spent on the previous article about the evils of speed.
    I am not trying to discredit the young guy for excelling in his chosen sport. But if there had been a shooting incident in NZ the media would not have viewed an article on Natalie Rooney or Chole Tipple for days afterwards.
    viper likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

There is the two second rule ... gives you enough space to take action if required ...

Many motorists, it seems, do not acknowledge that truck drivers are at work ...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    A bit off track but.
    One thing I have noticed lately is that if you have a slow vehicle in front of you itís been a Mitsubishi Outlander. I donít know if the speedo reads slow in them or itís just coincidence.
    Anyone else had that?
    wifes new car speedo reads 10% out 110km/h on speedo is actually 100km/h,the car came fitted with different tires than what it came from factory told by salesman they don't last on our roads so they fit these low profile ones looks cool and handles well but if we didn't have a stand alone gps we wouldn't know that the speedo was out as the new model doesn't have speed on the gps nav system.my bighorn was out by 6km/h till I got rid of the road tires and put proper m/t s of the right size on it saves about 80km on road users for a return trip to chch now.if people used their cruise control a bit more I think that would help in the fact they wouldn't speed up slow down so much as well.
    308 and Steve123 like this.

little always gives way to big. Even if little is "in the right" or has "right of way", Better to be alive than FLAT.
    Why do we have so many impatient people.
    The road toll is a terrible thing we should all try to reduce but I would be interested in seeing the % total per 100000 people or similar.
    As Population goes up then I would expect them too, to.
    Tommy likes this.
    I work so that I can live, not live so that I can work.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Another thing that poor drivers do without realising it is that on motorways they will keep up with your speed when you are overtaking them as if they are a bit lonely - I need a solid burst of speed before they will "break off" and in my rear view mirror they usually fall back to the speed they were doing originally.
    Always a giveaway of the crap driver is that when following them you can see them lean their heads in when they go around corners..
    I lean into corners but it is probably from riding bikes to much wanting to lean into the corner put my knee out and give it some gas for fun.the best thing I did was a skid training course .car was from chch came down paid for by the company we all got a half day at teretonga race track learning how to control a skidding car could bring it back from more than 110 degrees of line and learned pulse breaking and steering / breaking around obstacles.that I reckon should be a minimum for getting the restricted license also I think that they should make it that you have to ride a scooter or small motorbike for 12 months before allowed in a car and a defensive driving course as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    There is the two second rule ... gives you enough space to take action if required ...
    Many motorists, it seems, do not acknowledge that truck drivers are at work ...
    Hi @EeeBees

Yep, two second rule. "One, one thousand, two, one-thousand" and then the stripe that was opposite the guy in front bumper slips past you. To be frank though, I drive safer when I've managed to set out early. That gives me a right mind set for the road.

How to acknowledge that truck drivers are at work. As a truck driver (which I'm not) I imagine I'd be massively peeved at people who impatiently appear to wish me to accelerate like a BMW, etc. A truck is a truck, sometimes it's got very heavy things in it, and the truck driver is not there for leisure, so back off with your use of the horn. Most drivers of course are on the road for work, one way or another.
    Guns don't kill people - cars do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Followed a truck and trailer unit from the Tarawera cafe on the Napier - Taupo, the last of the twisties, heading back to Taupo last Sat. He was cutting corners with the whole unit in the oncoming lane, great driving from a professional?
    What needs to change is driver training, drivers skills need to be enhanced, tests for licences much tougher with a practical on a track or rally course, with skid control, braking, cornering etc, licences need to have refreshers and a defensive driving course involved. Best thing I ever did was a good defensive during course and a rally drive with a rally School. I don’t want to be in the 300+ this year!!
    The police campaign is very flawed and it must be based on revenue? They haven’t changed banging on about speeding for years and with all the advancement in car safety it’s getting worse?
    Plod need x amount of LTSA brownie points or they loose their funding. As much as it would be a real pain in the arse I think they really need old school traffic cops issuing tickets for more than just speeding, not giving way, lights/indicators not working, following distances, not giving way etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Plod need x amount of LTSA brownie points or they loose their funding. As much as it would be a real pain in the arse I think they really need old school traffic cops issuing tickets for more than just speeding, not giving way, lights/indicators not working, following distances, not giving way etc.
    thought they did this already, seen 4 cops in HiVis and one "hiding" with a speed gun thursday before Xmas at 9am (but it is a regular thing lately). Traffic is always bumper to bumper for at least 60mins in that spot and no one moves faster than an arthritic snail so no speeding. They were not doing warrents or rego check and still there when I came back the other way 40 minutes later I wonder who was responsible for putting that gem on their "job list", i would be there were not many "clients" processed. the '4" in High viz were more interested in their smartphones

I just had a couple of youngsters (18 and 21 ) from uk staying for a couple of days. They were telling me how some insurance companies there, supply and fit a Black box type device to monitor driving speeds etc. The data is then used to dictate the level of their insurance premium. They said that it works to a degree, but obviously it cant stop tailgating, poor overtaking etc.

Big brother is on his way folks, get your tin hats here
    Forgotmaboltagain

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post

Too late, I've had mine for years.....................can't you tell

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I just had a couple of youngsters (18 and 21 ) from uk staying for a couple of days. They were telling me how some insurance companies there, supply and fit a Black box type device to monitor driving speeds etc. The data is then used to dictate the level of their insurance premium. They said that it works to a degree, but obviously it cant stop tailgating, poor overtaking etc.

Brittainistan sure seems to be going over the top with their surveillance. I can see why you came here.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Brittainistan sure seems to be going over the top with their surveillance. I can see why you came here.
    @Steve123 and @Pengy

But they don't like sousveillance very much:

Guns don't kill people - cars do.