Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: NZ's first bush school

NZ's first bush school

'Mainstream school is based on force': A look into New Zealand's first bush school - NZ Herald

Imagine replacing the classroom with the outdoors, math with hunting and English with cooking.

That's the new reality for children at New Zealand's first bush school.

There is no homework and no computers. Instead, students learn to connect with nature, live self-sufficiently and set their own education.

The school, which has been running for one term, is temporarily based at a reserve in Clevedon and could soon hold 50 students at Hunua Ranges.

School co-founder Joey Moncarz believes his class of six students are thriving with the new form of education and says the teaching model works.

"They are learning to be confident; they are learning how to think... in an ecological way," Moncarz told Newshub.

"They see that everything is connected and... see how their actions have an effect on the natural world, and not just on the natural world but people in other countries.

"Mainstream school is based on force.

"It's a myth of mainstream education that you need to go to school for 12 years and study math and English and all that."

Students attend a
    Students attend a "warrior council" where they discuss how life skills and current events. Photo / Newshub Pinterest share Show more share options
    The school's curriculum involves reading books, planting trees, learning how to survive in the wild and holding peacekeeping circles where students can discuss their concerns.

Moncarz argues that students will gravitate towards subjects they enjoy and see value in.

He believes that if students value reading and writing, then they will be more willing to apply themselves to those subjects.

The school also hosts a "Warrior Council", where older students discuss current affairs and develop life skills.

A parent says her six-year-old daughter appears less stressed after attending the school, and believes she has more self-motivation and independence.

The school is currently registered with the Ministry of Education but must pass a review in order to continue operating next year.
    199p, Spudattack, john m and 1 others like this.

saw this on tv last night. bloody awesome idea and if parents are behind it then whats the problem... guess the education board is going to have to approve which i cant see happening as they wont meet the curriculum

I like the idea, but I still think kids also need to learn Reading writing math etc as a foundation for trades and careers in the future. They also need to learn discipline and boundary's. (That's discipline in the meaning of having the self discipline to sit down and concentrate / learn even if it is not something they want to do.) They will still need to learn skills that will provide them with work as adults. Lighting fires, cooking etc are all very good and should be taught, but who will employ a person who cannot read instructions, write a message or has the discipline to stick with a job or task until it is done? Will these kids become the lower class unemployable beneficiaries of the future?

Where will we get the engineers and boat builders of the America s cup from if we don't teach them some math?

Who said they won't learn reading, writing and maths. We use to do a maths assessment where the students had to measure the flow rate of local stream. They had to measure the cross section of the stream then try and work out the velocity, then the flow in cumecs.
    Once you have the hook with the outdoors the kids understand and value the tasks.
    Wirehunt and WallyR like this.

I did 6 months "bush"in 4th form at tihoi in central north island. Was a bit tough on some of the day kids from town.

We had power and were in dorms of 8, no microwaves/ovens etc. get your food packs for the week and cook morning and night on the wood fire.

We did get given a cooked lunch.

School was 4 days a week and then a 3 day weekend where we did an outdoor adventure. Went home every 10 weeks.

Was pretty cool really
    Wirehunt and WallyR like this.

Hey Jock that was where we did the stream study. I taught there in 1997.
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Hey Jock that was where we did the stream study. I taught there in 1997.
    Bit before my time, I was there 2006?? Maybe

Yep the student accomodation was a bit more rugged back then. Was a bloody good experience for the boys. I wished I'd had something similar at that age.
    WallyR likes this.

Was there in 1988 was bloody awesome

Franks house was the only original when I was there

Veldskool? Fuck yeah
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Can't remember the name of my house it was the first one on the right on the way in.

For those of you that don't know, the school used to be an old saw mill and the boarding houses for the boys where made up from the old staff homes.
    In my time we had no fridges no microwaves and had to cook on an old coal range which also heated your hot water.
    You had to split your own fire wood. We soon got pritty good at that as well as pilfering as much as we could from other houses if short.
    You had a cross country run twice a week after class. Three times a week an obstacle course.
    Once you had finished your day class you would train for the weekend expedition, which where.
    24 hour survival
    Abseiling
    Rock climbing
    Sailing
    Kayaking flat water
    Kayaking white water
    48 hour solo
    Tramping
    Mountain expedition
    Then at the end of the course you had one week away doing your choice of the above
    I did caving which we had not done a course in but was offered as one of the instructors was keen on it.

A little like outward bound.
    Oh we also had a brief firearms safety course
    Most arrived and cried when there folks left, almost all had wet eyes when it finished though.
    Very cool experience and if I'd have had kids I would have put them through this. One of the main reasons my folks picked this school.

Only boys when I was there, I hear girls are aloud in now too.
    Funny I've never been back to the boarding school but I have been back to Tihoi.

I only taught there for one intake but I was bloody impressed with how the school was set up and run. I can remember boys not able to run the first 2-3k cross country run. but at the end completed the 11k run.
    When I was there they were still using the old houses, but had started planning the new houses. The houses were getting a bit run down though.
    Without overusing the cliche, it defintely turned boys in to men.
    WallyR likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I saw the trailer but missed the news article. Big ups to them for blending basic life skills into education.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms