Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Off to Northland for the weekend

Off to Northland for the weekend

After a few recommendations. Missus' birthday, she likes to go on a winter tiki tour every year for a long weekend, this years it's North. Driving up Friday morning, probably head back Monday. A few walks would be good to take in, I'd like to check ye olde lighthouse and probably stop in with a few refugees I know on the way back. Bit cold to swim, missus doesn't dive (FFS) or fish much (double FFFS). Anything I should consider that isn't widely known perhaps?

Also, any forum members that need anything bringing up from here, now is your time to pipe up.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hey Tommy

I assume you mean the lighthouse at the cape?

Where about you staying, lots of stuff to see just depends which area you in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Hey Tommy

I assume you mean the lighthouse at the cape?

Where about you staying, lots of stuff to see just depends which area you in!

Totally open so far, just heading North! No accom booked yet, campgrounds, motels, cabins, don't mind. Just shaking the tree for ideas. I'd like to say hallo to a few along the way, but we'll play that as it comes

Pity it's winter as most of the stuff is summer orientated

There is a nice camp site on the beach with cabins at Ahipara, very cool, you can throw a line in and walk back to the cabin and have a beer!

You can head out over the ferry to Rawene and then head down the west coast through Opononi, stop in at Kai iwi lakes on the way .

You can stay over there at Opononi or the Copthorne in omapere.

East coast side Whangaroa harbour is one that is often overlooked, I think it is one of the most spectacular harbours in NZ.
    You can drive to Totara North and then walk over to Lanes Cove in the western arm of the harbour, the original Bach of the sawmill owners.

then climb the dukes nose to see this view of the harbour

Kingfish lodge is a great place to stay here, they will fetch you by boat from whangaroa as it's only accessible by boat.

Even good to just go for a drink. Check they are open first.

Whananaki is another of my favourite spots, cool little holiday village with estuary and beautiful beaches, Maureeses bay is our beach of choice.

Waipu caves are worth a look, good for a rainy day.

Obviously there is all the normal stuff, just trying to think of some of the less well known treasures!

Last edited by Spudattack; 26-06-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    Tommy and berg243 like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

MB
    I think the Tutukaka Coast is a bit underrated. Some lovely walks and beaches. A boat trip to the Poor Knights on Perfect Day is a good experience. No one I've suggested it to has been disappointed. Expect to pay tourist prices though

If you can get a pass, Cronin fishing charters runs out of Parua Bay/Whangarei Heads. It's a good trailer boat operation. One of very few non-game fishing charters in the area that caters for experienced anglers.

Leave your rifle at home. Nothing to see up here. Literally. I'm not joking!
    Cowboy and Spudattack like this.

https://roadtrippers.com/nz/ntl/vaca...703674-3718394

This is a great spot to stay just north of Kerikeri by Matauri bay.

Literally you can hop in and grab Crays in waist deep water. The wife can watch from the rocks and you can hand them to her.
    Great fishing spot on the rocks and cool accommodation!

Here some pics.

Owner Paul is a great dude to have a yarn with too, has some cool toys!

Tommy and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    I think the Tutukaka Coast is a bit underrated. Some lovely walks and beaches. A boat trip to the Poor Knights on Perfect Day is a good experience. No one I've suggested it to has been disappointed. Expect to pay tourist prices though

If you can get a pass, Cronin fishing charters runs out of Parua Bay/Whangarei Heads. It's a good trailer boat operation. One of very few non-game fishing charters in the area that caters for experienced anglers.

Leave your rifle at home. Nothing to see up here. Literally. I'm not joking!
    Just been out the Knights recently, gonna be a bit more land based this time.

Lanes Cove at Whangaroa is great. You do have to book the hut. Easy 2hr walk in. Not much to do once you get there, nice just sitting on the deck and even the shower (cold) has a view of the bay. As Spudattack said great view from the Dukes nose. Signs say the track is closed to the dukes nose but it is still climbable. Really nice waterfall off the track, it's a bit of bush bashing to get there, but worth it.
    Try book-a-Bach. Any of the beaches between Matauri Bay and Tauranga bay are really nice and there's a good track at Mahinepua.
    If you do the west coast make sure you have a look at Tane mahuta.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Lanes Cove at Whangaroa is great. You do have to book the hut. Easy 2hr walk in. Not much to do once you get there, nice just sitting on the deck and even the shower (cold) has a view of the bay. As Spudattack said great view from the Dukes nose. Signs say the track is closed to the dukes nose but it is still climbable. Really nice waterfall off the track, it's a bit of bush bashing to get there, but worth it.
    Try book-a-Bach. Any of the beaches between Matauri Bay and Tauranga bay are really nice and there's a good track at Mahinepua.
    If you do the west coast make sure you have a look at Tane mahuta.
    Yeah the waterfall is awesome, don't have any pics though.
    You can still get up to dukes, just be careful!

Here is some of the climb

Almost forgot Tane Mahuta!

whananaki is a cool place to wander around longest foot bridge in the southern hemisphere I think

Since you're going up to the light house go across the hokianga harbour on the ferry as suggested and then turn left. You come to kaitaia via ahipara. It's quite a nice drive and much better than state highway 1.

There is a arts and crafts store with kauri gum jewelry near tane mahuta.

Matapouri bay area is very nice.

Tapotupotu bay near the light house is nice if you're into camping.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Shit Tommy you are going to be doing a heap of k's over the weekend. Will need to come home for a rest. The Cape from Dorkland is a pretty solid 6hr drive on its own let alone taking side trips on the way.

Haha yep but have 4 days to do it all in. Her majesty is yet to decide

The Cape is nice but really a summer time outing. A long drive there even from Kaitaia, have look, turn around an retrace your path. At least in summer you can stay somewhere glorious like Spirits Bay.

If you've got a 4x4 you can go up, or down, 90 mile beach, access is through a stream at Te Paki and at Ahipara. Tuatuas everywhere. You can do it in a car if you have a bit of momentum however not recommended.

Taipa bay resort is a good place to stay rather than stay in Kaitaia.