Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 131
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Oh No! What Have You Had To Fix Lately?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    71

    Oh No! What Have You Had To Fix Lately?

    Spent that much time, reclining and reading the crap you guys post on NZHS Forum, that my good Buro Everst office chair (only 4 1/2 years old) started making rude noises, before folding darn near in harf!

    Raping it for the rear plastic on the back, I was shocked to see just what the heck was going on!





    Not being much of a joiner (more so a hobby engineer) and certainly not willing to sit on a beer crate in order to continue my reading (that would never do) I had to 'quickly but surely' come up with a remedy.


    Enter 100x5mm 316 S/S flat, 500mm long, slapped in the 20 Ton shop press, fashioned with some old railroad iron, and a 12lb hammer (which 'you' don't get to see) to wack the two ends down, whilst taking advantage of the fact that the whole shooting box was under load!





    Bracket appears to 'somewhat' resemble the contour of the plywood backing of the seat, including the 'much required' lumbar support.





    Holes drilled and screws fastened, with a bit of glue added for good measure.

    (If only the manufactures of the chair had have brought that 'high tensile' flat steel, even two thirds of the way up the back of the seat, this 'minor inconvenience' would never have happened)





    With plastic backing reinstalled and now with comfortable, relaxing, 'strange noise free' reclining, it's back to reading the crap on the Forum...
    keep it up guys



  2. #2
    P38
    P38 is offline
    Member P38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    5,717
    Good ole Kiwi injun you ity at its best

    Good on you @300 RUM Guy


    You know the manufacturer of said chair fully expected you to bin it and go buy another.

    Cheers
    Pete
    EeeBees likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

    After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

  3. #3
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    21,095

  4. #4
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    Well, the other day i towed 2 tonne of crap from Culverden to Leeston and as I pulled in the driveway of our new place a bolt fell out of the suspension on my hilux, thats right - it just FELL OUT!
    Im glad it didnt happen during the drive down as when it did happen, the affected wheel was pointing the opposite way than the other one and had a massive amou t of camber going on, basically that front corner collapsed. I would say she would have been a roll-over at the very least if it had happened at speed. Lucky I had one of our motorbikes on the back so dragged it off and went and found an engineer to get a bew one, bit of roadside mechanic-ing later and we were all go again.

    See the one at the front has a different head on it now? (Thats all the engineer had that suited)
    Name:  20170603_131944.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  666.2 KB
    Last edited by Ryan_Songhurst; 03-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.

  5. #5
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    Stupid upside down phone

  6. #6
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    5,720
    That's pretty yikes for sure! How does a ball joint bolt just come out like that? Had it been worked on recently?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  7. #7
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Stupid upside down phone
    You were bloody lucky. The whole thing could have definitely ended up in tears.
    Is that a self tapping screw securing the castellated nut?

  8. #8
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    That's pretty yikes for sure! How does a ball joint bolt just come out like that? Had it been worked on recently?
    The truck was recently re-certified by VTNZ and they pulled apart all the suspension on that corner as thats where damage to the chassis was, will be having a word with them for sure..
    Tommy likes this.

  9. #9
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    7,190
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    You were bloody lucky. The whole thing could have definitely ended up in tears.
    Is that a self tapping screw securing the castellated nut?
    Yes chills down the spine when I realised what had happened. Yeap thats a screw through there I made sure everything was tight after putting it back together and lost the split pin
    veitnamcam likes this.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Good ole Kiwi injun you ity at its best

    Good on you @300 RUM Guy


    You know the manufacturer of said chair fully expected you to bin it and go buy another.

    Cheers
    Pete
    Thanks Pete, that's exactly what they would've thought.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Well, the other day i towed 2 tonne of crap from Culverden to Leeston and as I pulled in the driveway of our new place a bolt fell out of the suspension on my hilux, thats right - it just FELL OUT!
    Im glad it didnt happen during the drive down as when it did happen, the affected wheel was pointing the opposite way than the other one and had a massive amou t of camber going on, basically that front corner collapsed. I would say she would have been a roll-over at the very least if it had happened at speed. Lucky I had one of our motorbikes on the back so dragged it off and went and found an engineer to get a bew one, bit of roadside mechanic-ing later and we were all go again.

    See the one at the front has a different head on it now? (Thats all the engineer had that suited)
    Attachment 69950
    Very lucky alright.

  12. #12
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    The truck was recently re-certified by VTNZ and they pulled apart all the suspension on that corner as thats where damage to the chassis was, will be having a word with them for sure..
    Some one didn't tighten a bolt up properly.....

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    17,634
    Quote Originally Posted by .300 RUM Guy View Post
    Spent that much time, reclining and reading the crap you guys post on NZHS Forum, that my good Buro Everst office chair (only 4 1/2 years old) started making rude noises, before folding darn near in harf!

    Raping it for the rear plastic on the back, I was shocked to see just what the heck was going on!





    Not being much of a joiner (more so a hobby engineer) and certainly not willing to sit on a beer crate in order to continue my reading (that would never do) I had to 'quickly but surely' come up with a remedy.


    Enter 100x5mm 316 S/S flat, 500mm long, slapped in the 20 Ton shop press, fashioned with some old railroad iron, and a 12lb hammer (which 'you' don't get to see) to wack the two ends down, whilst taking advantage of the fact that the whole shooting box was under load!





    Bracket appears to 'somewhat' resemble the contour of the plywood backing of the seat, including the 'much required' lumbar support.





    Holes drilled and screws fastened, with a bit of glue added for good measure.

    (If only the manufactures of the chair had have brought that 'high tensile' flat steel, even two thirds of the way up the back of the seat, this 'minor inconvenience' would never have happened)





    With plastic backing reinstalled and now with comfortable, relaxing, 'strange noise free' reclining, it's back to reading the crap on the Forum...
    keep it up guys


    Was Jenny Craig advised or consulted?
    223nut likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Was Jenny Craig advised or consulted?
    Are you accusing me of being a fat c%@t there Maca, you're probably right, I am looking a bit on the chubby side of it... what's her number?
    Maca49 likes this.

  15. #15
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    7,465
    What have I had to fix lately well a customer came in with a 60 something Daimler and wanted the oil leaks fixed I'm thinking wtf they came like that from the factory another guy tried to fix the wiring on his Hillman avenger now I have to un fix it another guy has a lat model computerised hino truck and wants it to not go as fast as the driver keeps getting speeding tickets we told him to buy the driver lighter shoes bring on next week

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!