Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Openings for working holiday in NZ?

Hi.
    My daughter is planning a trip to NZ, arriving Christchurch start February.
    She will travel with the daughter of the local game warden.

They are looking for work and stay in the area between Christchurch and Auckland, where they will leave around the 1.th of June.

Most things will do, as long as it is not dangerous or extreme. Cleaning, serving, agriculture etc.

If you know of any openings, please let med know.

Best regards
    Torben

Wine areas such as Hawkes Bay, Marlborough and Nelson etc. will be looking for workers through that time.
    I have a friend in Nelson that offers lodging/meals etc. in return for work on his vineyard. WWOOFer sort of thing.

WWOOF New ZealandLive and Learn On Organic Farms

Free Accommodation in New Zealand - Farm Helpers in New Zealand - FHiNZ

Help Exchange: free volunteer work exchange abroad Australia New Zealand Canada Europe

SiB
    There's picking blueberry near Hamilton too. Try blueberry.co.nz

The orchard I manage is near invercargill, but that'll put you through to the NI orchards

Si

Quote Originally Posted by tagergaard View Post
    Hi.
    My daughter is planning a trip to NZ, arriving Christchurch start February.
    She will travel with the daughter of the local game warden.

They are looking for work and stay in the area between Christchurch and Auckland, where they will leave around the 1.th of June.

Most things will do, as long as it is not dangerous or extreme. Cleaning, serving, agriculture etc.

If you know of any openings, please let med know.

Best regards
    Torben
    If they come to Tauranga pm me will help out where I can.

Thanks a lot, everyone who chimed in.

The young ladies need some advice in terms of:
    -what mobile phone-operator should they choose (they need cheap textmessage, internet and a little speak)
    -How do they get around, if not by car. Is there a smart way of getting cheap miles with the busses, in Europe we got a card, called InterRail, where you can travel unlimited for 21 days in all of Europe.

Best regards,
    Torben

Quote Originally Posted by tagergaard View Post
    Thanks a lot, everyone who chimed in.

The young ladies need some advice in terms of:
    -what mobile phone-operator should they choose (they need cheap textmessage, internet and a little speak)
    -How do they get around, if not by car. Is there a smart way of getting cheap miles with the busses, in Europe we got a card, called InterRail, where you can travel unlimited for 21 days in all of Europe.

Best regards,
    Torben
    Hey tagergaard.
    I arrived in NZ about 10 years ago as a backpacker and not much has changed since then about getting around etc.
    In answer to your queries a pay as you go phone and $30.00 of credit with access to wifi and the whatsapp should be plenty to get started. Whats app uses data so if they are staying in hostels wifi is pretty cheap if not free and they can call and send messages to their hearts content and its free! The other person also needs to have whatsapp installed for it to work though!! https://www.whatsapp.com/
    Also plenty of cafes etc offer free wifi if you are eating there.
    If they have an unlocked phone from Europe they could simply buy a sim card when they get here and have the mobile provider update the settings and off they go- easy as. I still have the same number with Vodaphone I had when I arrived.
    Getting about should be easy enough with backpacker buses running around the islands. They could look to book on the kiwiexperience bus Bus Passes NZ - Bus Ticket Bookings | Kiwi Experience
    the other buses that run the length of NZ are InterCity® | Bus Tickets From $1 | NZ and https://nakedbus.com/nz/bus/
    For accommodation if they are hosteling they may also get the chance to work for their stay with a little cleaning and the best way to organise that is to get in touch with the hostel prior to arriving. Try this site out because if they stick with the BBH hostels they get discount accommodation if they buy a card and the jobs section is there for them. BBH New Zealand Backpackers Notice Boards*-*BBH Hostel Staff Vacancies ONLY Make sure whatever they do they stay at the Funky Green Voyager in Rotorua. friends run it and its clean, friendly and a nice chilled place- also no TV! The owners are G (Gerrard) and Anya.
    NZ is very easy to get around, relatively safe and just a fun country so I am sure they will be fine.
    Oh and while accidents are covered here by ACC please do make sure they have travel insurance as its a life saver!

Cheers Willie
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Oh and i just remembered something else.
    If they plan on working to make money while they are here make sure they have a working holiday visa and register for a tax number here Coming to New Zealand to work? You'll need an IRD number otherwise they will be left with cash in hand etc. Also because they are not here for the year they can file for a tax return prior to leaving the country and they will got something back
    Even if they don't have a working holiday visa a tax number is still preferred if they are going to be working- I read that in my lonely travels guide when I first got here and it still sounds strange to me.

If I think of any other handy hints I will post up- cheers.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.