Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Optics and Gun Choice

Optics and Gun Choice

Hey Guys
    I have been having a look round and noticed the browning x-bolt stainless, would this be a better choice than a tikka t3x or worse.....and in case your wondering I want to do long range shooting.

Optics:
    I have noticed that Leupold has released a new range of optics (vx-freedom) and I was looking at the 4-12x40 tri-MOA, would this be suited for long range hunting? I was also looking at the Vortex Diamondback tactical with the open turrets, I heard it is a good scope but I know leupold probably has a better name/more reliable. They are both at the $600 mark, but just tossing up which is better. Anyone got any experience with either of those scopes or has any you know of that are better for long lange hunting at that price....?

Thanks

Quadruple the glass price and you will
    Have some good glass, can’t hit shit if you can’t see shit
    mikee, 223nut and 7mmTom like this.

Rule of thumb is spend the same coin on your scope as rifle for long range..
    7mmTom likes this.

Baby steps @7mmTom. Shooting game at long range is much more about the shooter than the rifle. Be it Browning or Tikka it will take you a while to be able to shoot as well as the rifle is capable. Concentrate on getting 100% kills at 200m before even looking at 600m. (Refer @Gagetmans post on another thread)
    Think of it like driving a race car. Just because you can afford to buy a F1 car doesn't make you a good driver.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, mikee and 3 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Not that you will listen because your young enthusiastic etc etc, but I'd buy a .22 join a club and shoot lots first! Then buy a 223 with a suppressor and learn to shoot that, then move on to high calibre, long range. For the mean time buy a single shot 308 for the roar/bush work one you don't give too much of a fuck about and can scratch and abuse but still shoot straight . I guarantee you will sell your first gun
    mikee, Shearer, 300_BLK and 3 others like this.

Listen to what these guys are sayin mate. They are correct.
    If you go out and buy a bigarse boomer now, you will be flinching so bad that in a fortnight it'll be on trade me and people will think your an epileptic. That is if you don't scope yourself and fuck your eye and eyebrow up and ruin your good looks.
    Meant in the nicest possible way of course
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

I bought a bergara scout 7mm08 for my first gun big recoil flames out the front and massive amount of noise! My flinch is real
    rossi.45, 223nut and 7mmTom like this.

I always send new shooters away with a single shot 22 and a couple of bricks of Ammo. Come back when you have shot that and we will learn to shoot
    Blisters, Rossiwiz, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Warm Barrels!

You will get a hundred different opinions and setups, best advice is to go and handle a bunch of guns and choose the one that feels/fits you the best. Scopes are what you pay for them, the new freedom line from Leupold is VX2 quality for VX1 (ish) price, they are a good deal.

My personal favourite after owning many rifles/scopes is a Remington Model 7 in 308win, Talley rings topped with a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 4a.
    WallyR, Rossiwiz and 7mmTom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    I guarantee you will sell your first gun
    You must not be talking to me, still have my first rifle, bought 14th March 1986.
    It's our 32nd anniversary in twelve days
    Steve123, Blisters, 40mm and 1 others like this.

It is true, save until you can afford a decent scope. if you can afford a little now, then you can afford a bit more later.... ask to look through others scopes at the range etc.
    7mmTom likes this.
    Use enough gun

still got my first one as well had it 34 years
    Blisters likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    You must not be talking to me, still have my first rifle, bought 14th March 1986.
    It's our 32nd anniversary in twelve days
    Yeah and I bet it’s not your go to rifle for every hunt is it
    Blisters and 7mmTom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Not that you will listen because your young enthusiastic etc etc, but I'd buy a .22 join a club and shoot lots first! Then buy a 223 with a suppressor and learn to shoot that, then move on to high calibre, long range. For the mean time buy a single shot 308 for the roar/bush work one you don't give too much of a fuck about and can scratch and abuse but still shoot straight . I guarantee you will sell your first gun
    Apart from selling the first gun, thats dam good advice. and you NEED a .22, My first quality rifle is a .223 with a Khales Scope, It was $2500 second hand and came with reloading consumables etc. best money Iv ever spent. shoots great.

I suggest you buy a nice .22 and wait for a mean second hand deal to pop up. It will happen, Good quality second hand stuff is better than new cheap shit.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and chainsaw like this.
    Use enough gun

I shoot Howa rifles, have owned three. Now have two a .223 mini action which is a tack driver and a 6.5 Creedmoor. I have stuck with Howa even tho they a touch heavy as I have a cheap caliber (the .223) to hone my skills and finish off goats and the 6.5 for the long range stuff and deer. Both the Howa's have two stage triggers which are one of the best factory triggers (IMHO) on the market. It is nice to have the same setup for both rifles as it feels very similar when you shoot.
    As others have said don't skimp on your optics. All my rifles came as packages with Nikko Stirling optics. They are ok, but that is where it ends, just ok. I have recently upgraded my 6.5 Creedmoor to a Nikon Monarch 3 and love it. Worlds apart from the NK's. There are many great folks here on the forum and if possible see if you can try out some rifle combos in the wild before deciding. Also if you are looking at a gun store, make sure you try the rife for fit, standing, kneeling and prone/lying down. Out in the real world, you will encounter all of these situations and just shouldering the rife in the store will not help you know if it fits.
    When it comes to caliber you will be fine with most of the 6mm and larger. As many have said, 308, 7mm08 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, and yes even .270 will pretty much do the job if, and it is a big if, you develop your skills behind the rifle. Each caliber has its fans and pros and cons, get one that delivers enough power to target at the upper range you want to shoot that you are happy with the recoil on and you will have a ball.
    jakewire, Sideshow and 7mmTom like this.