Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Our fuel problem

If there was only one brand in nz then we would really be paying for it as theres no competition but they will never pull out of nz to much money to loose its really easy to do in fact you don't have to do anything but not spend money at z we did it with the tahr problem we had we can do it with this as well if we all get on board
    Last edited by northdude; 11-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    We need "Gas Stations" we do not need so much Taxing
    I would really like someone to show just how much our $1 earned is Taxed on its way down its trickle down spend track
    I am not sure you do....

Earn $100

PAYE around $20 (depending on tax bracket ....) Leaving $80.

Spend $80 on groceries govt takes 15% as GST ($10.43 GST on $69.57)

or if you spend your money on fuel it is more like 102.5c per litre (@$2.489 per L ) which is 41.1% Thus your $80 sends $32.94 to the govt coffers leaving you just $47.05 of fuel for your $100 worth of wages.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I am not sure you do....

Earn $100

or if you spend your money on fuel it is more like 102.5c per litre (@$2.489 per L ) which is 41.1% Thus your $80 sends $32.94 to the govt coffers leaving you just $47.05 of fuel for your $100 worth of wages.
    AND - after that $100 leaves your pocket it then gets taxed again and again as it carries on down the chain
    So how many times does it get taxed
    Bloody good business to be in ah - and they (GVT) don't even need to see or handle it, its all collected by payers and passed onto them for no cost to them

Forget boycotting the poor bugger that owns the Gas Station - most wont be getting rich I am sure of that, fuel companies - Yeesssss
    No that's another story

oh well so as usual we all just do nothing but complain about it with that attitude you deserve to get ripped off why wouldn't they noones going to do anything about it
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I am not sure you do....

Earn $100

Plus all the other taxes, ACC, Excise, RUC, EQC, ... I think by the time it is all added up it would be 60%+.
    40mm likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    oh well so as usual we all just do nothing but complain about it with that attitude you deserve to get ripped off why wouldn't they noones going to do anything about it
    I agree with you @northdude
    Although the way they do the servos, at least in aussie is that it comes out of the petrol stations pocket, not completely the fuel supplier.
    You would see the independents in aussie come out when the big suppliers dropped the price start to jack up as their margin of profit wasn't that much. Bit like what the big aussie supermarkets do to the cow cockies over their. They don't absorb any price reduction, they make the farmer wear it. A lot over there found it cheaper to dump milk than to sell it with all the costs involved. But I digress.

it would be interesting to find out how much is tax on fuel.it was on the news the other night that the govt was not happy about fuel prices and was trying to introduce legislation so they can look into the pricing and margins.i know from a local private fuel station that their margin was less than 10 cents and when the specials where on they didn't get a cut from the supplier but had to wear a loss rather than loose business , he has sold it to someone else.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Plus all the other taxes, ACC, Excise, RUC, EQC, ... I think by the time it is all added up it would be 60%+.
    I think it could be 110%
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    it would be interesting to find out how much is tax on fuel.it was on the news the other night that the govt was not happy about fuel prices and was trying to introduce legislation so they can look into the pricing and margins.i know from a local private fuel station that their margin was less than 10 cents and when the specials where on they didn't get a cut from the supplier but had to wear a loss rather than loose business , he has sold it to someone else.
    "it would be interesting to find out how much is tax on fuel"

Approx 98 cents per Litre apparently

Don’t shoot the messenger!

COMMENT

When the Prime Minister tells us that we are being fleeced by the petrol companies, you are seeing a very deliberate move by a calculating politician.

That is in contrast to the talk of kindness and waving of babies that we saw for example in New York.

That is in contrast to the broad smiles and kind words we hear at the prime ministerial drop-ins to various schools around the country where she receives blankets for the aforementioned child.

None of this is bad, but it is a reminder that she is as much politician as she is new age kumbaya cheerleader.

Her go at the price of petrol is raw politics and easy point-scoring.

Not that many will disagree with her, and that is part of the plan. In siding with us, she sides with most of us, she picks an easy target, the big ugly faceless corporates that deal in those horrible fossil fuels, so not only are they destroying the planet, they are ripping us off along the way.

But, the question remains, as it did when Judith Collins pulled out the same trick at the tail end of the National government - having fired the salvo, having laid down the accusation, what now?

Judith, of course, launched an inquiry (very Labour) and it came up with next to nothing.

The market wasn't working all that well, but then there wasn't actually a lot you could put your finger on, so that was that, as indeed it was always going to be.

Petrol companies are not ripping us off or rorting us or fleecing us. Petrol companies are operating the way most competitive businesses operate.

They charge what the market will bear for their product.

That market varies depending on where you are, how many players are in that market, how far from the production of the product you are.

It also takes into account specials and deals and discounts.

In other words it a highly variable set of circumstances that varies widely on any given day in any given location in any given city or indeed in any given neighbourhood.

There are apps that tell you where to buy, where to save, where the deals are.

There are endless competitions and incentive programmes for you to save if you want to.

And that is part of the problem in taking a very broad-based overarching view of an entire marketplace and averaging it out and suggesting we are being fleeced.

Not unlike the bag of sugar you bought. Did you buy it from the dairy, the superette or Countdown?

Was it on special? Was another brand on special? Did you buy in bulk? Was it a loss-leader? Was it at the end of the aisle?

Did you get fleeced or did you pay what you thought you might pay?

Your con is another man's convenience.

And that is the problem the Prime Minister has bought into when she lays her charge.

Her answer is the Commerce Commission. If and when they ever get the powers the Government keep banging on about, just what is it they're going to do? Launch a fleece hunt? What is being fleeced, what is rorting and who decides?

If they can do it for petrol, what else is in line? Are we being ripped off on cars, or outdoor furniture, or toilet paper?

Of course this looks a bit like a defence of big oil which it isn't.

I've got a 5 litre super-charged engine, I put 98 in, it costs $200 to fill, no one hates filling up more than me.

But, is this a scam? No it is not.

This is business doing business with a huge variety of variables, not least of which is the amount of tax the Government is rorting us on. You want an inquiry? Launch one into that.

Meantime all we are really dealing with is having to pay for an essential at more than we have previously, and we don't like it.

But not liking something is not being fleeced.
    300winmag, gadgetman, NZ32 and 2 others like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

I only post the above as info... I’m not endorsing,agreeing or disagreeing.... purely informative
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i know from a local private fuel station that their margin was less than 10 cents and when the specials where on they didn't get a cut from the supplier but had to wear a loss rather than loose business , he has sold it to someone else.
    @berg243 that's what I thought it was. Gotta be right sometimes lol
    @A330driver in aussie they have a fluctuating fuel price during the week. It can go up and down at least 10 cents a litre and maybe even 20 or more depending on area and station. High on a Tuesday, low on Friday one week, high on Sunday low on Wednesday the next. Not always the same day.
    Not necessarily on a particular day for the low point although they all strangely coincide between the fuel companies. Collusion methinks?
    I didn't pay much attention as in my role I had a company car and fuel car for the first 7 odd years but it does make people go out on the cheap days.
    Just to make everyone get the shits, the last time I filled the old Fairmont up before I left to come home (had to as I still had a week of work to go), it was down to $1 and some cents a litre. Filled the car up for 60 bucks. Cheapest I had seen it for years. Almost 2 years ago to the day as I type this.
    Last edited by csmiffy; 11-10-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @berg243 that's what I thought it was. Gotta be right sometimes lol
    @A330driver in aussie they have a fluctuating fuel price during the week. It can go up and down at least 10 cents a litre and maybe even 20 or more depending on area and station. High on a Tuesday, low on Friday one week, high on Sunday low on Wednesday the next. Not always the same day.
    Not necessarily on a particular day for the low point although they all strangely coincide between the fuel companies. Collusion methinks?
    I didn't pay much attention as in my role I had a company car and fuel car for the first 7 odd years but it does make people go out on the cheap days.
    Just to make everyone get the shits, the last time I filled the old Fairmont up before I left to come home (had to as I still had a week of work to go), it was down to $1 and some cents a litre. Filled the car up for 60 bucks. Cheapest I had seen it for years. Almost 2 years ago to the day as I type this.
    About 2.5 years ago I was getting diesel for about $0.80/l here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

34% fuel cost 28% excise tax 2% emmision trading scheme 13% gst thats a tax on a tax as you are being charged gst on the previous. 2% shipping 21% importer margin plus the regional fuel tax if you live in Auckland. Thats 43% tax which is more than the importer margin. Lets have a inquiry so the polititions can get thier noses into another trough. If petrol companies are making so much money why have we put a halt on gas and oil exploration. While on this rant lets imagine 3000 people in dorkland have electric cars (that would be fantastic for the enviroment) and they all plug in for a recharge at 5 pm do we have this capacity. Probably not but we can put a tax on electric to pay for new infastructure to cope.

well it was an idea we cant really pressure the pollys but if it hurts the oil companys they would probably have more clout as they stick together we dont and have bigger cheque books but theres to many excuses why not to try it so i guess we all just line up bent over with our pants down and wait for the next reaming