Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Pay rates V skill set

  1. #1
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440

    Pay rates V skill set

    I just got off the phone to an old mate from England who now lives in WA. He is 63 years old and has, up till very recently been a tool maker/engineer just about all his working life, doing some pretty high end stuff too I might add.
    Anyway, he got made redundant back in November 13 when the company got into strife due to European commitments.
    He has just started a new job (at 63yrs old) as a school caretaker, and is earning a considerably better rate per hour than he was as a highly skilled technician.
    Bloody worlds gone crazy I tell you.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  2. #2
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,970
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I just got off the phone to an old mate from England who now lives in WA. He is 63 years old and has, up till very recently been a tool maker/engineer just about all his working life, doing some pretty high end stuff too I might add.
    Anyway, he got made redundant back in November 13 when the company got into strife due to European commitments.
    He has just started a new job (at 63yrs old) as a school caretaker, and is earning a considerably better rate per hour than he was as a highly skilled technician.
    Bloody worlds gone crazy I tell you.
    Labour like all other things Pengy is subject to the economic law of supply and demand.
    mucko, Pengy and Danny like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  3. #3
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,596
    I say good on him
    Pengy and kiwi39 like this.

  4. #4
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440
    Yep. He is loving it Gibo.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  5. #5
    Member Twoshotkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    1,761
    Yes there does seem to be some discrepancies in the wages that are earned Pengy....unfortunately I don't seem to be on the winning end of it!!!
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!

  6. #6
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440
    I know the feeling well TSK
    Twoshotkill likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  7. #7
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I just got off the phone to an old mate from England who now lives in WA. He is 63 years old and has, up till very recently been a tool maker/engineer just about all his working life, doing some pretty high end stuff too I might add.
    Anyway, he got made redundant back in November 13 when the company got into strife due to European commitments.
    He has just started a new job (at 63yrs old) as a school caretaker, and is earning a considerably better rate per hour than he was as a highly skilled technician.
    Bloody worlds gone crazy I tell you.
    Been a tradesman all my working life so i have quite a cynical view of how things work. Those that can, do and those that can't or have less than no idea ..............................................
    Spanners and kiwi39 like this.

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,140
    Iv always been a bit pissed that someone with no experience can do a one day fork lift course and earn as much or more than an average tradesman wage in Nelson.

    Bring back the unions
    (worked for oz, killed England)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  9. #9
    Member Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    Posts
    642
    Did a degree in Information Technology, got a job as a computer programmer (higher average pay than being a doctor, apparently) and my mate walked into an engineering/manufacturing job with a year of experience and no qualifications and was getting paid more than me. Such is life

    Think he had a better deal regardless of pay, computers are shit.

  10. #10
    Ejected
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Iv always been a bit pissed that someone with no experience can do a one day fork lift course and earn as much or more than an average tradesman wage in Nelson.

    Bring back the unions
    (worked for oz, killed England)
    Not sure if I'm much of a fan of unions, often a case of individually smart people that a collectively stupid, or at least make stupid decisions.

  11. #11
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Did a degree in Information Technology, got a job as a computer programmer (higher average pay than being a doctor, apparently) and my mate walked into an engineering/manufacturing job with a year of experience and no qualifications and was getting paid more than me. Such is life

    Think he had a better deal regardless of pay, computers are shit.
    I had basically no formal computer training. Walked into a four day advanced training course of one lot of software to become a support consultant. I was the one coming up with all the answers, and correcting others when I didn't agree with their answers. At the end of the last day the instructors asked around the room how long everyone had been using and supporting the program. The answers ranged from 2 to 7 years. Finally they got to me, "Gadget, you seem to know a lot about this. How long have you been doing this?" Gadget asks "How long has this course been?" "Four days Gadget." Well that means I've been doing this for nearly four days now."

    The looks on the faces, priceless!
    JoshC, mucko, mikee and 1 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  12. #12
    Member Spook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mt Motutapere/Northern Alps
    Posts
    2,063
    Pengy...I have questions only a tradesman could answer, I mean like, you being a painter and all...When I visit the hospital and there are renovations taking place some people walk around in white overalls with a paint brush in the back pocket, I take it that these are the painters...but, the brush...what's with the brush?...is it a badge of honour or something?...or the mark of a true professional...they never seem to use them...and what's with the brush size?...some carry 4'', some 3" and I seen one the other day with two 2".
    And those overalls, do they come pre splatted with spots of paint or did some actual work take place in them at some previous time?
    mucko, Pengy, Happy and 2 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

  13. #13
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,970
    Spook the brush size could be the same as military chevrons denoting rank. The day you see the bugger with three rollers in his back pocket and no visible white on his overalls you will know that he is the head honcho.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  14. #14
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Pengy...I have questions only a tradesman could answer, I mean like, you being a painter and all...When I visit the hospital and there are renovations taking place some people walk around in white overalls with a paint brush in the back pocket, I take it that these are the painters...but, the brush...what's with the brush?...is it a badge of honour or something?...or the mark of a true professional...they never seem to use them...and what's with the brush size?...some carry 4'', some 3" and I seen one the other day with two 2".
    And those overalls, do they come pre splatted with spots of paint or did some actual work take place in them at some previous time?
    Now cmon Spook, be fair. You wouldnt give up all of your trade secrets now would ya ?
    For the record, I have never carried a paintbrush in any pocket, so it may be a southern hemisphere thing.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  15. #15
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,888
    It's either one of those "look how big my dick is" things or so they don't get labels as paper hangers. They all look the same

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Technology..is it taking away skill
    By Pengy in forum Shooting
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 09:24 AM
  2. Mortgage rates
    By Spanners in forum Off topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
  3. Bush stalking - not my best skill
    By tikka 7/08 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!