Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pick Your Brains

Ejected

Pick Your Brains

My water pressure is pretty average at best, but epecially in the bathroom which is the last in the line.

Both are pretty bad but especially hot water.

I'm on tank and the current pump is only 350w with a flow rate of 35lpm max. Shower head is about 4-5m above the pump.
    Kitchen water pressure isn't too bad but its the first off the line from the pump and the closet to the hot water cylinder.

Will fitting a higher rated pump, say 1000w, 80lpm like this one Water Pump Stainless Steel for Large Household | Trade Me help my situation at all. Or is there something else I should focus on?

I dunno about all that other stuff but check in your shower that there isnt a pressure reducing washer in the water line to save water,
    I removed that and my shower went way better
    before that i also replaced the pump to a higher pressure unit
    and also extended the overflow on the roof, which ment that I could turn the pressure up on the apex/ajax valve

now i have good pressure

my issue was a long stretch 70odd meters between the pump and house of 25mm line
    but thats beside the issue

Ejected
    Unfortunately theres no restrictor valve in the line (made sure I didn't put it in when I installed the shower). Not just a shower but the sink as well. Had a little fiddle with the ajax valve yesterday but it was more or less cranked all the way.

Under the house looks a little bit of a mess, all the copper pipes are touching the wood in places which is making them oxidize slightly, I'm wondering if that too is causing issues.

P38
    Nibblet

I'm no expert here but have you thought about installing a small header tank in the roof for your shower.

Pump from the HWC to the header tank then gravity feed to the shower.

Might get you another PSI or two at your shower head.

Cheers
    Pete

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Nibblet twenty years ago there was a sever water shortage in Auckland and there were a lot of flow limiters fitted. Check all of your outlets.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    I would probably sooner go to a instantanious hot water system I think thanks Pete, would probably save us money as well being only two in the house.
    Pressure still wouldn't be that flash I would suspect though as cold water isn't exactly trying to drench you as it is

Ejected
    Yeah theres none on this house Rushy, we have quite a good catchment area, have watched the neighbours fill quite a few times and we are still sitting just below the overflow. Only takes a little shower and we are sorted. Kind of annoying as I want to drop the tank and build a wrap around deck but tank wont go down.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Every 1m of head (vertical lift) is going to require 10kPa approx pressure just to get there. A conservative shower will want around 10l/min. Your going to lose kPa in your pipes, mixer, rose. You need to know the pumps flow and head to make an informed decision. The TM one has a fair bit of both. You will also need to consider your pipes etc. Mid 80s may have Dux pipe and that will maybe leak if you up the pressure. Copper should be fine. You will also have a low pressure hot water cylinder. If its an old one the extra pressure may give your Ajax a hard time as well as change the way any mixers you have in the house work. A suggestion may be to look at something like the Methven Satin Jet type of shower rose. I put one in my last place and it didn't turn it into a hotel spa but it made a dribble shower liveable.
    veitnamcam and Nibblet like this.

Nibblet you need to change your whole system to mains pressure, use a pump with a flow controller and supplying enough litres per min to satisfy your demand, if you have a low pressure HWC dump it. As KJ says check your house pipes can take higher pressure, before you do it! Gas califont way to go put it outside and free the cupboard inside, I'd go LPG because of the monthly $30.00 line charge, but that just me, I can do a deal on a good pump for you if you need.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ejected
    Thanks mate thats the kind of answer I was after.
    House was built in 75 and most of the pipe work is copper and I fitted a satin head to the shower already and made a very minimal change.
    The ajax valve looks very new (we brought the house a year ago) but the cylinder looks like it was put in when the house was built.

Would you think its worth while giving that pump a go?

I'll check tomorrow with my pump guy, I'd start there, if you have an Ajax vv then it's a low pressure cylinder and your cold supply to your shower will be low pressure, my sons house is the same, you can piss faster,you can get a vv that fits on the roof vent pipe to lift the head pressure, but your putting more pressure on your low pressure cylinder. What I've done at the batch is a Rinnai vt26 LPG califont on the outside wall and plumb in mains pressure. Also check, if you have a flexible hose in the shower,I've seen the filters in these blocked enough to cause a problem
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Nibblet you need to change your whole system to mains pressure, use a pump with a flow controller and supplying enough litres per min to satisfy your demand, if you have a low pressure HWC dump it. As KJ says check your house pipes can take higher pressure, before you do it! Gas califont way to go put it outside and free the cupboard inside, I'd go LPG because of the monthly $30.00 line charge, but that just me, I can do a deal on a good pump for you if you need.
    This is my cylinder and as you can see it serves more than one purpose.

Current water pump is same as one in picture only with less power and lower flow and I assume pressure (will have to double check pressure) and it has an accululator fitted.

Name:  water 2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  227.8 KB
    Name:  water.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  97.4 KB

Wires are so much easier, smoke likes to stay inside

Ejected
    Also I have stripped shower down and cleaned filters line and head alothough these were prestine when removed

Pump also has an automatic controller as well, same as one referenced. I'm guessing it is just a pressure switch though and not a 'flow' controller as such

Yep low pressure and if you look you'll see a low pressure cold supply taken off after the Ajax vv going to the shower as well.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Probably the small calibres of those rifles ain't helping
    Boom, cough,cough,cough