Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Pizza Ovens

Pizza Ovens

So who here has a brick pizza oven?
    Show us your pictures, tell us the story behind the build, whats your favorite recipe's, what else do you cook in it besides pizza?

I have just started building mine. Foundation is laid and the block work done. Just need to back fill the blocks with concrete, pour the structural hearth, then the insulation layer of perlite concrete, then the birck hearth, then the brick dome, then fit the insulation cloth, then the perlite concrete .........

Pizza's better bloody taste good!

I am looking the slow cook in it as well.
    Sako 243, Beaker, Gibo and 1 others like this.

wetn for a charmate one from trade me... works well need a thick stone to hold the heat when putting the base in. chickens work pretty well and going to have to try some ribs after seeing those photos recently

The only crime with a pizza oven is to put bought pizza's in it, they must be home made, dough and all I have cooked whole veni cuts in my mates. I seared it in the pizza oven then sat it up on a grilling rack so it didn't burn to much......bloody deadly
    Matt2308 likes this.

I've got a gascraft pizza oven, works well use it for most things.
    Slow cooking, beer can chickens, and pizzas even😜 use clay pizza trays.

Saw these on fb tho made out of old baths might make one at some stage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    I've got a gascraft pizza oven, works well use it for most things.
    Slow cooking, beer can chickens, and pizzas even�� use clay pizza trays.

Saw these on fb tho made out of old baths might make one at some stage.

Not really going to hold the heat a brick and clay one would though, kinda defeats the purpose. Cool idea non the less.
    bomber likes this.

Think they put clay over the top,
    Mind you my gas one works awesome and don't have to cut wood and keep it stoked up

Gibo likes this.

I'm building mine this summer all going well.

Courtyard was poured and now ready to fence but the weather isn't playing ball for me and work is (always) hectic!

fornobravo has some of the best resources. I was going to do a Pompeii style, and 39" ID.

Lots to think about with thermal breaks and so on if you want to slow cook as well.

I'm tossing up whether to buy a cheap DIY kit of TM and then add to achieve what I need or source all components individually knowing it'll csot more but potentially end up with a superior result.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 243 View Post
    I'm building mine this summer all going well.

Courtyard was poured and now ready to fence but the weather isn't playing ball for me and work is (always) hectic!

fornobravo has some of the best resources. I was going to do a Pompeii style, and 39" ID.

Lots to think about with thermal breaks and so on if you want to slow cook as well.

I'm tossing up whether to buy a cheap DIY kit of TM and then add to achieve what I need or source all components individually knowing it'll csot more but potentially end up with a superior result.

John
    Yes, I have downloaded the Fornobravo manual and have used it for setting my design. I'm going for the full 42" with a polished slate top work bench next to the oven for prepping the dough and toppings. I considered a kit set but am doing it the hard way and trying to include the teenage kids in the process so they have a feeling of achievement.

Following with interest as this is something I have been toying with for a while now.

me and my old man built one, 2 ish years ago now

6in thick concrete slab with red bricks onto top, then fire brick floor tiles on top of that, red bricks for the dome, then chicken wire and bubble wrap then pearlite then plaster

we do pizzas, you need to be at 400 degrees even to get your pizzas cooking properly

most other things you can cook on a grill, or conventional oven. so, yes they are called a pizza oven but no you can cook most stuff with it

its all about heat, and how you control the heat and the best times to cook what

we do roasts, veges, butterfly chickens ( in half an hour), plenty of bread, sourdough, old lady even made meringues once

get the shed magazine from a few years ago it gives you the best how to
    #BallisticFists

Name:  11169848_10153802846823626_5933319394744021455_n.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  83.8 KBName:  1376528_10153276671203626_3802016712478989496_n.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  38.5 KBName:  10151747_10152764987848626_1634432529437427697_n.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  47.5 KB
    #BallisticFists

NOW WE'RE COOKING!

Name:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  586.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1462.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  791.0 KB
    Beaker likes this.

oh yeah...!

What an outstanding idea... one you won't regret.

Mate built one and it was simply fantastic. You could roast up a storm for dinner and still make bread in it the next morning. Potato peelings roasted in duck fat... maaaate! Not good for your cholesterol, but divine. Great pizza, great roast meat and veggies, good bread. Can't beat it.

We modified the door for it so he could duct in smoke and use the oven for cold smoking... seemed to work OK.

Be careful not to be in a rush to crank it up though... the temptation is there but the plaster takes ages to dry off and mature.

Look forward to seeing it done. Enjoy!

Here's a photo of the last batch of meat through the char griller/smoker - chickens, pork ribs, and a small beef roast.

Name:  _DSC1907.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  968.6 KB
    Beaker, Dorkus and planenutz like this.