Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By longrange308
  • 1 Post By kiwijames

Thread: Plumbing airlock?

Plumbing airlock?

Any plumbers here?

Having an issue getting rid of an airlock (I think its an airlock) in my hot water system. Hot water tank is fed from a pump/pressure tank and had a NEFA pressure reducing valve on top of the tank (no vent pipe). Its an old house and the hot water pressure has never been that flash - but just recently the flow starts off OK gradually reduces to very low flow and splutters a bit then the flow increases then gradually reduces again. You can hear a bit of gurgling in the pipes which I assume is air. I have tried purging the air using the insert higher pressure cold water into hot tap trick but it hasn't really helped much. Ideas? Not sure why there is a PRV instead of a vent pipe - could the PRV be faulty and causing the airlock?

If you havnt got a exhaust on cylinder you will get a bit of air in line
    But if you have the gear, remove the element and open the ends of it, just make sure you can get it back in hole
    Lots of bubbles are made when the loop of the element are close to each other
    Picture what your jug looks like when it's getting hot(lots of bubbles)
    If it locks the shower, get in the habit of running the hot in the basin til no air then run shower
    veitnamcam likes this.

We get it occasionally, I have to use the kitchen tap (mains cold) to force back down the hot to sort it but it takes a good couple of minuits flow to sort it.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    If you havnt got a exhaust on cylinder you will get a bit of air in line
    But if you have the gear, remove the element and open the ends of it, just make sure you can get it back in hole
    Lots of bubbles are made when the loop of the element are close to each other
    Picture what your jug looks like when it's getting hot(lots of bubbles)
    If it locks the shower, get in the habit of running the hot in the basin til no air then run shower
    Thanks - I will give that a whirl on the weekend. Would it help getting rid of the PRV and installing a vent pipe instead?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    We get it occasionally, I have to use the kitchen tap (mains cold) to force back down the hot to sort it but it takes a good couple of minuits flow to sort it.
    Same idea I used - will have another crack at it as there still seems to be some air in the system. Only other thing I can think of is if the NEFA valve or the gate valve under the cylinder is partially blocked so that inflow to the cylinder can't keep up?

Pm sent

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    If your plumbing is mains pressure then you can't run a vent. If you're low pressure you will have an Ajax or similar similar supply valve. This controls your pressure. To get an airlock one must have air to begin with. With the PRV you have a closed system. I'd just call a plumber. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen fucking around with elements and the like.
    Munsey likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter