Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Plywood exterior cladding, your thoughts.

bricks.
    Cordite likes this.
    Use enough gun

German bunker concrete - at least twice as much rebar per cubic metre of wall compared to the standard at the time. Come think of it, add some hard quartz to withstand bunker buster penetrators.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    If you need pre-coloured, durable and basically no-maintenance, go for zincalume steel. Might as well benefit from living in 2017.
    scratch that zincalume and watch it rust.used to install sky tv and aerials,getting on new roofs a couple months old and see rust marks on standard zincalume where rivet nails where lying in the valleys and anywhere dissimilar metal touched it.colour steel version is the same as soon as the paint layer is scratched.remember the add for it when the train ran over it ,it was a good marketing ploy as they didn't show you that the plastic protective sheet was left on till after the train ran over it.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    scratch that zincalume and watch it rust.used to install sky tv and aerials,getting on new roofs a couple months old and see rust marks on standard zincalume where rivet nails where lying in the valleys and anywhere dissimilar metal touched it.colour steel version is the same as soon as the paint layer is scratched.remember the add for it when the train ran over it ,it was a good marketing ploy as they didn't show you that the plastic protective sheet was left on till after the train ran over it.
    @berg243

No big disagreements, except my 10+ year Zincalume garage still looks good, even where the neighbours storm tossed trampoline impacted with it a few years back. Then again, I don't quite live where there is much sea spray, unlike Invercargill perhaps.

The focused question might be, how does Zincalume steel compare with plywood, treated and otherwise?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans. - Woody Allen

To answer @Cordite Roughsawn exterior ply grooved or not, will be as durable as zincalume in urban and rural areas and be more so in geothermal and marine environments.
    Staining or painting will have little effect on durability but do improve appearence.
    Ply is a structural element zincalume is not
    Ply has insulation and sound damping properties, zincalume does not.
    Untreated ply might last a while in central otago but will have gone buggerup in less than 4 years somewhere damp compared with the 50 plus that exterior ply does achieve.
    Awaian, 40mm and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    German bunker concrete - at least twice as much rebar per cubic metre of wall compared to the standard at the time. Come think of it, add some hard quartz to withstand bunker buster penetrators.
    Much better
    Use enough gun

found this late also
    Designed/built my house in shadowclad, rough finish about 8 yrs ago.
    no battens over,has a Z flashing where over 2.4m. Lean-to style.
    Dulux, two under, two top coats.
    The veneer/paint has cracked on the north facing wall, the rest are good.
    When I built there was variable versions of the product being sold and some had recalls I think??
    Not an issue by now and all plys in NZ are made with marine grade glue so even if it looks f'd up, it's only one skin deep....

I think the recalls & most court cases resulted from "Utility" grade being supplied. Most plywood is H3.1 treated not H3.2 but H3.2 is available. CHH say Shadowclad will meet the durability requirements of the building code (15 years) uncoated but does not recommend it. I would not recommend it being left uncoated. If you are using it as a bracing element (direct fix only) it has to last 50 years and requires painting. H3.2 treatment requires powder coated aluminium flashings or stainless in sea spray zones. Most claddings a dependent on maintenance, plywood is no different. We see plenty of houses with plywood that was stained when built & then forgotten about, they are now giving problems with soft plywood & high moisture content in the wall cavity. Recently saw one with a fresh coat of paint, over rotten plywood.
    Don't get me wrong, plywood is a good cladding provided it is used & maintained in the correct manner. Personally I would paint it & if staining, do it often & not in an exposed location.
    308 likes this.

If I were to use a ply outer skin, I would be painting/staining the underside before installation.
    Forgotmaboltagain