Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Police called on boy for shooting toy gun at Northland school

Police called on boy for shooting toy gun at Northland school

Am i the only one who sees this as PC gone mad? Why would the school go straight to the police?

Stuff Link: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/edu...rthland-school
    outlander likes this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    This was posted up the other day, but your thread is better as it actually has an infomative relevant title.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

The mental cruelty applied to this boy is criminal IMO.The school principal should be sacked and the boy carefully counselled to ensure his future well being. ( Even "official" councilling could be suspect these days though)
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

And how long has Joe Green been retired now?
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

#solidfrontaxle

AIRGUN101.COM

Apologies for putting up a post thats already been covered, but your comments are helping me with my anger issues!!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    The mental cruelty applied to this boy is criminal IMO.The school principal should be sacked and the boy carefully counselled to ensure his future well being. ( Even "official" councilling could be suspect these days though)
    Totally agree Woody, I hope the other parents have an opportunity to voice their opinions to the school board and apologies made to the boy and family. Was the principal hoping to get a personal phone call our leader of sad faces and hugs for kicking a young fella in the guts for playing cops and robbers with his mates?
    Woody and outlander like this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    To be fair a decent bb gun will put eyes out. And the school had a "don't bring toys" rule.

But still seems like a gross overreaction.
    Moa Hunter and Hermithill like this.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

I am absolutely not surprised, when I think of some of my kids' teachers up in Northland - both primary and high school. Primary was the worst though - teachers wouldn't teach maths basic facts, (the old times tables) but they had some very strong opinions about other things that had nothing to do with the curriculum. Some of them should be kept far away from kids, for the sake of the kids' wellbeing.

One article said the projectile could travel about a meter.

Anyone interested in a go fund me campaign, raise a little money and offer the Mum the firearms safety training she wanted?

Kid should get something fun from us to cheer him up. Sounds traumatic.

Its us and small children that are criminalised.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    This was posted up the other day, but your thread is better as it actually has an infomative relevant title.
    I apologise and promise to use less relevant but more humorous titles in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I apologise and promise to use less relevant but more humorous titles in future.
    Ah. So it was you...don't get all lazy now, put your best effort into that key board, boy.
    Bol Tackshin and Hermithill like this.

Great idea, surely the local NZDA or Pistol club in that area, could invite the young fella and his mates along for a shoot with a focus on firearms safety. Could be a positive story the media could pick up on (said no one ever) if he was down my neck of the woods id be more than happy to do the same no cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    One article said the projectile could travel about a meter.

Anyone interested in a go fund me campaign, raise a little money and offer the Mum the firearms safety training she wanted?

Kid should get something fun from us to cheer him up. Sounds traumatic.

Its us and small children that are criminalised.
    outlander and Klhari like this.

Cant use crowd funding. They banned guns.

Whats the chances of getting the kids a shoot/hunt?

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Lets understand what happened here -

1. school has a no-toy-gun-allowed rule.
    2. a kid bring in a toy gun, which could be classed as an air gun.
    3. kid in questions plays it.
    4. kid in question was told to stop, and was isolated from the rest of the class.
    5. school reports this incident to the police, as per protocol. The police was not asked to come to the school to do anything and did not come out to do anything.
    6. school asks the parents to come in to talk about this. Parents did not come in "due to work".
    7. when mother finally arrives the next day, throws a big rah...

My unpopular opinion - I think the mother is grossly overreacting. I dont see what the school had done wrong.

Firstly, school has a no toy gun rule. Plain and simple, just follow the rule.

Secondly, a lot of toy guns are hard to distinguish from real guns. The two photos in the article do not appear to be the toy gun in question. For all we know, the toy gun in question could have been a realistic replica or close enough as a replica for the untrained eye. With all the shootings around the world and NZ itself, and NZ's relatively relaxed gun laws, if some kid is seen with a gun (or at least seemed real enough) in my children's school, I too want the school to stop it and report it to the police. Better safe than sorry.

Thirdly, 12 Y/O boys get into heaps trouble anyway and always. We all did, and we used to get smacked for just being boys. That is how boys used to grow into man and the vast majority did not turn into emotionally disturbed serial killers. I just dont get what is so traumatic about the boy being told off, even if sternly and harshly, about not to play with toy guns. Nothing in the article, aside from the mother's assertion, suggested that the boy was actually mistreated (and this is New Zealand, the school teachers will not smack your child anyway). Nowadays it seems every kid is made of snowflake. if a kid was wrongly disciplined - "oh god he is being treated like a criminal, he is scarred for life!" Give me a break. The mother's complaints seems to be motivated by her notion that the boy will have "a record" because the school reported the incident to the police. I dont actually know what record she is talking about. I doubt she knows either. The police does not keep a secret record about everyone. There is a conviction record under everyone's name. But the boy is not being prosecuted (nor do I think he can be) so there is no conviction, then what "record" could there be? If the mother is truly concerned about a "record" in her son's name, isnt the better thing to do be talking to the school about this possible "record", rather than taking a hostile stance immediately?

Lastly, for the mother to say that the school should instead focus on "gun safety training" is deflecting and distracting. In New Zealand, only firearm licence holders can own firearms and you have to be over 18 to have firearm licence. No school kids can legally own or play with firearms on their own, so why would the school be under any obligation to teach kids gun safety. As far as the school is concerned, guns - even toy guns - have no place in school. To the extent that some parents are willing to train their own kids on how to use firearms (myself included), the responsibility of gun safety training is entirely with the parents.

P.S. I say the mother is BSing when she says the gun only shoots half a metre. even a nerf gun shots a lot further than that.
    Last edited by Ultimitsu; 01-07-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Lets understand what happened here -

1. school has a no-toy-gun-allowed rule.
    2. a kid bring in a toy gun, which could be classed as an air gun.
    3. kid in questions plays it.
    4. kin in question was told to stop, and was isolated from the rest of the class.
    5. school reports this incident to the police, as per protocol. The police was not asked to come to the school to do anything and did not come out to do anything.
    6. school asks the parents to come in to talk about this. Parents did not come in. "due to work".
    7. when mother finally arrives the next day, throws a big rah...

My unpopular opinion - I think the mother is grossly overreacting. I dont see what the school had done wrong.

Firstly, school has a no toy gun rule. Plain and simple, just follow the rule.

Secondly, a lot of toy guns are hard to distinguish from real guns. The two photos in the article do not appear to be the toy gun in question. For all we know, the toy gun in question could have been a realistic replica or close enough as a replica for the untrained eye. With all the shootings around the world and NZ itself, and NZ's relatively relaxed gun laws, if some kid is seen with a gun (or at least seemed real enough) in my children's school, I too want the school to stop it and report it to the police. Better safe than sorry.

Thirdly, 12 Y/O boys get into heaps trouble anyway and always. We all did, and we used to get smacked for just being boys. That is how boys used to grow into man and the vast majority did not turn into emotionally disturbed serial killers. I just dont get what is so traumatic about the boy being told off, even if sternly and harshly, about not to play with toy guns. Nothing in the article, aside from the mother's assertion, suggested that the boy was actually mistreated (and this is New Zealand, the school teachers will not smack your child anyway). Nowadays it seems every kid is made of snowflake. if a kid was wrongly disciplined - "oh god he is being treated like a criminal, he is scarred for life!" Give me a break. The mother's concern seems to be more about the boy "having a record" because this was reported to the police. I dont actually know what record she is talking about. I doubt she knows either. The police does not keep a secret record about anyone. They keep a conviction record. But the boy was not prosecuted (nor do I think he can be) then there is no conviction, then what "record" could there be? If the mother is truly concerned about a "record" in her son's name, isnt the better thing to do be talking to the school about this possible "record", rather than taking a hostile stance immediately?

Lastly, for the mother to say that the school should instead focus on "gun safety training" is deflecting and distracting. In New Zealand, only firearm licence holders can own firearms and you have to be over 18 to have firearm licence. No school kids can legally own or play with firearms on their own, so why would the school be under any obligation to teach kids gun safety. As far as the school is concerned, guns - even toy guns - have no place in school. To the extent that some parents are willing to train their own kids on how to use firearms (myself included), the responsibility of gun safety training is entirely with the parents.

P.S. I say the mother is BSing when she says the gun only shoots half a metre. even a nerf gun shots a lot further than that.
    Funny how back when guns at school was no big deal, there were no school shootings?

You don't realise the implications of your brand of crazy do you?

You basically say "these are the rules, the rules were broken". You also justify anxiety and paranoia. Plus we need to spin up all this anxst among the children about school shootings.

The result is an epidemic of shootings. The states is miles ahead of us in criminalising childrens play. They also have routine school shootings.

These teachers appear to be suffering from anxiety and paranoid delusions.