Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Police called on boy for shooting toy gun at Northland school

On the other hand, kids bringing other contraband to school don't get that treatment. Although I have heard of a kid getting removed for getting an alcohol logo shaved into the side of his hair... Schools going full retard since ages ago...
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Ah. So it was you...don't get all lazy now, put your best effort into that key board, boy.
    One does require some form of amusement when one is restricted to a several square meter patch of lounge floor...
    outlander likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    By the way, I am not saying boys shouldnt play with toy guns. I bought my boy a 3 dollar toy pirate-musket just last week. It may even be a little the ironic that he took it to his daycare as part of his pirate costume, for the Pirate and Princess day. Boys will always play with pretend guns. Before I bought him this toy gun, he was playing with sticks, and lego, pretending as guns. But this is not the same as 12 year olds playing with replicas at school. Other People may understandably be worried if not frightened. It is completely understandable for school with teens to have a no toy gun rule and It does not have to mean anti-gun.
    Last edited by Ultimitsu; 01-07-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    On the other hand, kids bringing other contraband to school don't get that treatment.
    Well, no one is saying that should be allowed, but different schools may well have different policies, and different breaches may well warrant different responses. Some contraband may not require the same response because they do not harm or frighten others, for example.

Nah...this could have been solved at a lower level easily.

Take the "gun" off the kid and tell him and his mates not to bring them to school again.

Solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Funny how back when guns at school was no big deal, there were no school shootings?
    It is a loaded question of which the loaded assumption is false. They did happen back then too. Probably less than now because:
    1. lower availability of guns
    2, higher price of guns,
    3, lower population density, and
    4, less percentage of school aged kids went to school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._(before_2000)

You don't realise the implications of your brand of crazy do you?
    I dont know why you have trouble staying civilised. you always come across ultra aggressive towards any opinion that you perceive does not align with your own or even worse, anti gun. you actually make all gun owners look like angry and dangerous people. I have no quarrel with you but I think it is important that whomever read this forum get the impression that not all gun owners are as angry and rash as you are.

You basically say "these are the rules, the rules were broken". You also justify anxiety and paranoia. Plus we need to spin up all this anxst among the children about school shootings.

The result is an epidemic of shootings. The states is miles ahead of us in criminalising childrens play. They also have routine school shootings.

These teachers appear to be suffering from anxiety and paranoid delusions.
    Your logic is basically that "it is not gun availability and gun culture to breeds school shooting, it is the anxiety against guns and legal limitation on guns that breeds school shooting."

Let us just say, we agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    Tertle and Hermithill like this.

Interesting thread. I’m involved in education. Have been for 30 odd years. From my reading of the article it appears to be a case of overkill on the school’s part. Such things, if true paint schools and principals in a poor light. That is from reading the article. But from experience I know that what is written by the media around school happenings is often told from a very, let’s say, stretching the truth perspective or in some cases conveniently omitting it. I also know that in some cases schools are unable to tell their side due to privacy issues. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to it than meets the eye here.
    Last edited by gilly; 01-07-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Tertle, Hermithill and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    It is a loaded question of which the loaded assumption is false. They did happen back then too. Probably less than now because:
    1. lower availability of guns
    2, higher price of guns,
    3, lower population density, and
    4, less percentage of school aged kids went to school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._(before_2000)

I dont know why you have trouble staying civilised. you always come across ultra aggressive towards any opinion that you perceive does not align with your own or even worse, anti gun. you actually make all gun owners look like angry and dangerous people. I have no quarrel with you but I think it is important that whomever read this forum get the impression that not all gun owners are as angry and rash as you are.

Your logic is basically that "it is not gun availability and gun culture to breeds school shooting, it is the anxiety against guns and legal limitation on guns that breeds school shooting."

Let us just say, we agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    If you saw anything insidious in your use of language or your attitudes, then I'm confident you would not use them.

@Preacher stated sanity. Take the TOY off the kid. Tell him not to do it again. Use violence (lock him in detention) if thats school policy.

You use the term "contraband" for when CHILDREN bring items to school.

The way you talk about rule violations and contraband it sounds like a prison, especially when children are threatened with police.

It seems lost on you I am genuinely upset by your position, and that we have people like yourself and the school administration, with your attitude to children. Its sick. I find it disturbing.

They are there to educate. The implications for all of us are extreme, if they are fucking that up.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilly View Post
    Interesting thread. I’m involved in education. Have been for 30 odd years. From my reading of the article it appears to be a case of overkill on the school’s part. Such things, if true paint schools and principals in a poor light. That is from reading the article. But from experience I know that what is written by the media around school happenings is often told from a very, let’s say, stretching the truth perspective or in some cases conveniently omitting it. I also know that in some cases schools are unable to tell their side due to privacy issues. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to it than meets the eye here.
    Schools started calling the police for internal discipline at least 25 years ago.

My watch strap broke in a brawl and a kid soccer kicked me in the face. Not the end of the world (my attitude at the time).

I did not like the kid but had known him forever. Sitting waiting for the cops and getting interviewed was vastly more disturbing than a scrap.

Same kid I saw get one of the last canings.

My wife reads the community facebook page and a woman was asking for a cheap laptop because "her sons was smashed at school"

My wife and I both had the attitude "who the fuck is smashing laptops?", direct quote.

My wife messaged the woman and she said the bullys parents refused to pay.

Wheres the criminality there? Didnt see that in the news.

The bullying is off the charts while the nanny state hyperventilates over its hysterias.

The kid with the broken laptop is getting a visit from Uncle Tussock and his MMA buddies. Time for some free private lessons.
    gadgetman and outlander like this.

If you saw anything insidious in your use of language or your attitudes, then I'm confident you would not use them.

@Preacher stated sanity. Take the TOY off the kid. Tell him not to do it again. Use violence (lock him in detention) if thats school policy.

You use the term "contraband" for when CHILDREN bring items to school.

The way you talk about rule violations and contraband it sounds like a prison, especially when children are threatened with police.

It seems lost on you I am genuinely upset by your position, and that we have people like yourself and the school administration, with your attitude to children. Its sick. I find it disturbing.

They are there to educate. The implications for all of us are extreme, if they are fucking that up.
    ????

My post that used the word "contraband" was responding to Mauser308's post where he raised the scenario involving, and used the word - contraband.

Re my position re school, it is lost on me what is upsetting you so much -
    1, that school of teens is entitled to have a no-toy-gun rule?
    2, that school is entitled, as per protocol, inform the police when above rule is violated, with the expectation that there is nothing further for the police to do other than note it?
    3, that school is not a place that is obligated to teach gun safety, and that that responsibility is with the parents?
    4, or that when 12 Yo boys bring a replica gun to a school, some people can get worried and/or frightened?

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    One does require some form of amusement when one is restricted to a several square meter patch of lounge floor...
    Goddamit, son. Light those afterburners,straighten the hips,take your pills and entertain!

Well, no one is saying that should be allowed, but different schools may well have different policies, and different breaches may well warrant different responses. Some contraband may not require the same response because they do not harm or frighten others, for example.
    They and their consequences frighten me alright and I spent time in possibly the hairiest police force in the world. I must be a wus.

In my genetations early years (1950's) the weapon of choice was a shangai or slingshot. These were generally forbidden around town and certainly from school. The occaisional kid who was caught with one was usually given a good strong "telling off" by the headmaster (a fearsome experience) and the offending weapon confiscated permanently. The classmates learned quickly that such behaviour was uncompromisingly met with costs and disgrace. The kids parents woukd likely impose further punishment. However I never once heard of a kid being placed in isolation / pilloried. I remain disgusted by this recent bullying cowardice.
    Yes, we notched our belts with the cane scores but punishment was generally imnediate and once done was never dwelt upon other than the victim telling his mates lies about it not hurting. FFS!
    gadgetman, outlander and Finnwolf like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

????

My post that used the word "contraband" was responding to Mauser308's post where he raised the scenario involving, and used the word - contraband.

Re my position re school, it is lost on me what is upsetting you so much -
    1, that school of teens is entitled to have a no-toy-gun rule?
    2, that school is entitled, as per protocol, inform the police when above rule is violated, with the expectation that there is nothing further for the police to do other than note it?
    3, that school is not a place that is obligated to teach gun safety, and that that responsibility is with the parents?
    4, or that when 12 Yo boys bring a replica gun to a school, some people can get worried and/or frightened?
    A I said, you can't can't understand this from a perspective outside your own. You dont have a consciousness of others sensibilities or cultures, much like the school staff.

School "entitlements" and "protocols" do not validate anything. If anything, the suggestion that schools rights over children are "entitlements" is deeplyn disturbing.

The use of protocols as validation for behavior is also disturbing. If its protocol then its justified. Sounds like North Korea.

"that school is entitled, as per protocol, inform the police when above rule is violated, with the expectation that there is nothing further for the police to do other than note it"

Yeah, its just a prison. Woo.

3. The school is not obligated to do anything apparently. Its entitled to write protocols that absolve it of all responsibility and to bring in the police for any behavior that might be viewed as ....... Blah blah blah by definition fascism.

4. People who get worried or frightened by 12 year olds playing with toys should be advised to remove themselves from adult discussions.