Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Portable buildings/sleepouts advice sought

Portable buildings/sleepouts advice sought

Hi all,

I'm after some advise from the builders out there or people who may have done this before.

We are thinking about putting in a sleepout for our oldest daughter.
    I'm keen to do the build myself but my only concern is the whole building consent, building code, etc.

I've heard of "portable buildings" not requiring as much in the way of consents but I'm wondering if anyone might know what is and isn't required for a portable building and also when is a "portable" building no longer classed as a portable building? e.g. Does adding a toilet make it no longer portable (this is probably a requirement)? power etc.

A couple of other things I'm wondering is:

Do you just need a suitable pad for it to sit on? Does it need to be concrete?
    Can you insure a portable building?

Lastly, If I was going to go down the build from scratch permanent sleep out option, whats the rough ballpark figure for consents and could I realistically build it by myself within the required building codes.

A couple of other points to note are:

*We are rural
    *There is tonnes of space for a building
    *it will be located close to the existing house and will be close to water, power and waste if we decide to use them
    *Ideally it will have a toilet and basin (but may exclude if its going to be too hard for consenting)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
    Jamie
    Last edited by 8pt Sika; 20-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.

As soon as you ad a toilet it changes from being a sleep out to a dwelling and then it needs a building consent. No toilet or basin and less than 10m2 is doesn't need a consent. But still has to comply with the building code

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Portable can be on an old trailer frame... Can make some nice set ups under 10m2. It depends on the council in your area but think a sink would b ok but not toilet, go 12v pv panel on the roof if she isn't going to see too much, or just run an outdoor extension cord

Im pretty up to speed on all of your points raised.
    Im a licensed builder and domestic building consultant specializing in "cost effective housing".

If it is 10m2 or less it doesn't need a building consent But it must comply with the building code.
    That's the bit most people don't want to know about.

It may not have a toilet, plumbing or cooking facilities.

I have been involved in a number of temporary dwelling projects ( ADU Auxiliary Dwelling Units / granny flats ), portable houses and Tiny Homes on wheels.
    DoC huts and remote building.

My speciality is building with SIPs ( Structural insulated panels ) and I also manufacture a proprietary SIP panel using treated structural ply on the exterior and untreated ply on the interior.

I will PM you my contacts Jamie if you want to have a chat any time.

Cheers

Must be some other loop hole? There's a couple in my town that are way over 10 sq
    One in fact must be at least 80 and it's got one of those white square tanks on another trailer that has the waste going to
    When fill they drive to the local caravan dump site and empty it

best thing is first talk to your council building inspector as rules vary between council areas as I have found out.things like building on wheels making it movable means you can build bigger but as soon as you anchor it or tie it down it is seen as a fixed build from the building inspector I talked to.if you know a builder they may let you build it under their name .other option is build a garage with a toilet in get it signed off then convert part to a sleep out.

just buy a shipping container lay it on some piles and line it out remove the doors and fit a glass sliding door bingo
    Dam right im Pro Guns, Look at History

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    just buy a shipping container lay it on some piles and line it out remove the doors and fit a glass sliding door bingo
    I was going to do that but talked to council first they would class it as a habitable building too needing all the consents if only used for storage no permits needed.

attach wheels and tow bar and call it a large solid caravan haha
    berg243 likes this.
    Dam right im Pro Guns, Look at History

@8pt Sika build it on skids, can put skids on piles if need be. You will get a nice little cabin/sleep out finished for under ten thousands building it your self. Surely there will be a trades person on here that will let you use there account and pay cash for material. When you start adding up material cost there's a bit more in it then you think. There is some cheap cabins on trade me and thats all they are cheap and nasty crap. wrong roof pitch for corrugated iron etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    I was going to do that but talked to council first they would class it as a habitable building too needing all the consents if only used for storage no permits needed.
    it will be storage wont it for storing daughter in
    timattalon, Paddy79 and berg243 like this.

We looked into this as we were looking at garden sheds versus a single garage. But there are a couple of points above that could be taken out of context so I would suggest taking to your council before you make decisions.

If it is 10m2 or less it doesn't need a building consent But it must comply with the building code. Bear in mind the building code varies greatly depending on your use of the building.

Look into "secondary dwellings" or "out buildings" as these also have different requirements.

My understanding of portable is must be able to be moved, and if this is the case they can be over 10m2. Think Luxurious European Caravan | Trade Me. But I realise you wont want to spend that much. Skids are sometimes acceptable, but bear in mind they can ask you to move it to make sure it is portable so if it is large(ish) and on skids make sure you can move it. When talking "portable" the councils often equate this to "temporary"

Plumbing and cooking can move it from portable to dwelling, but from memory self contained like a camper with its own tank are not usually considered plumbed as they are not connected apart from power.
    berg243 likes this.

We have a portacom, on skids.plumbed up for toilet shower.
    Electricity overhead from house.
    Mind you has been in place 15+ years.
    But is relocatable.

Lots of ideas and advise coming through, cheers guys

I have an 'out building' on my small 10 acre farm. Used it for an office for our business for 3 years, but have now sold the business and wondering what to use it for. Initially I'd like to consider some passive income by letting it out on AirBnB or similar, and in a few years time, my oldest daughter will want to live there.

But it has no permit, was built to code. It's 10m x 2.5m with a 70/30 split so two rooms with separate outdoor access only, no internal door. The idea had been to make an internal door, close off the external access to hte 3m section and convert that to a toilet/basin/shower and a small kitchenette in the main area with a small cook top and heat pump... then let it out.

It's got full electrical wiring and certificate and is fixed on piles. no plumbing at all at present.

I don't want to spend mega bucks doing that, but it seems a figure of $20k may be required for that and that makes it prohibitive! Without hijacking this thread, if anyone has any lower cost toilet/septic options I'm all ears!

John