Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: The proposed Pike River Mine re entry

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

The proposed Pike River Mine re entry

Re entering the Pike River Mine has been talked about for years and now after consultation with a number of global experts there is an attempt to be made next year. I completely understand why the families of the twenty nine passionately want this to occur but I fear that because of the heat that would have been generated by the fires underground there will be nothing to be found and I am genuinely concerned that despite the abundance of caution that will be taken there will be yet more casualties.

What do you guys think? Are the potential results worth taking the risks involved? Please keep politics out of this discussion. I have posted this thread not to be provocative but to see whether others hold similar concerns to myself.
    ethos, Happy and chainsaw like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

1. There are families that want it left alone, they are being ignored for political points.
    2. They are going in, but only to the first rockfall (?), which is pointless, they will learn nothing. Again, more cheap points.
    3. It's a hell of a lot of money for a lot of risk and fuck all return. But again, political points.
    madjon_, 199p, Savage1 and 14 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

SiB
    There are two unresolved matters:

1. Any sort of ‘proper’ cluster for the friends, families and others who knew those 29 whose lives were lost

2. What is being done so that something like this will never happen again. This being the incident, and the processes that lead up to it, and equally, the processes so that what happened afterwards will not be repeated
    JoshC, Fireflite and csmiffy like this.

I feel for the families and hope they get the closure they need, tend to agree that it won't be what they are expecting
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

SiB
    Closure. Not cluster. Sorry

Although cluster and another short word are on the tip of my tongue

R93
    Not sure how I feel about it. If it can be done safely it may bring some form of closure to the family's and that would be a good thing.

It may also answer some questions.
    Had a bit to do with mining in my life but all above ground. I have no idea what risks still lay in wait for the people going in. Hopefully they do their homework well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Happy likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post

1. Any sort of ‘proper’ cluster for the friends, families and others who knew those 29 whose lives were lost

2. What is being done so that something like this will never happen again. This being the incident, and the processes that lead up to it, and equally, the processes so that what happened afterwards will not be repeated
    There were so many fuckups with it, from start of mine to now, where do you start?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Not sure that much will be achieved. The guys going in would be the best to assess, and minimise, the risks. Potential to provide both closure to some, and more pain to others.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

I absolutely understand the closure that families are looking for. I am not sure that anything can ever be done to ensure that something like the disaster can never happen again but the advent of Worksafe and the profound changes to health and safety have gone a long way toward that aspiration.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I’m not sure re-entering the mine is a good idea, there are some questions that need answers to stop it happening again but, I suspect they know but need evidence.
    P.S. I have heard we must stop this happening again so many times and yet “it” keeps happening.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Two points
    Only going in as far as the first rockfall achieves nothing, but costs plenty
    The heat generated by the internal fire surely means that even if human remains were found, surely they’d just be dust ?
    How could anyone definitively say ‘this was XXX ‘ ?
    sako75 likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Small problem -same coal seam strongman mine 19th Feb 1967 1020 AM your assertion that this never be repeated i fear is in vain.this is the westcoast so called plaything of the rich&untouchable and ignoramuses called polticians. take a trip to the coast -wander the cemeteries -the headstones sit ominous ,still but even today provide a stark reminder of a rich industry that will kill at will. forestry was not far behind either -i remember as a young lad at lake brunner school seeing classmates quietly shepherded out of clas to be taken home to a tragedy of Dads demise"in the bush"
    As a true blus coaster and I never thought id say this but;the sooner this 3 ring circus is over the better. my eldest sons 1st cousin is amongst the 29and in his words "-let em lie in peace!"
    stillan empty drum always makes the loudest sounds.

SiB
    That there may have been a whole succession of fuckups, or more politely, critical risk issues that were either not recognised or appropriately managed, particularly when seen in combination with those other issues is precisely why an investigation is warranted

Not to to blame or castigate. But to learn and never fail like this again

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Not sure that much will be achieved. The guys going in would be the best to assess, and minimise, the risks. Potential to provide both closure to some, and more pain to others.
    Shit yes. What if they find half of the guys' bodies in the safe cabin around a non-working phone?
    Guns don't kill, bad choices do.

That there may have been a whole succession of fuckups, or more politely, critical risk issues that were either not recognised or appropriately managed, particularly when seen in combination with those other issues is precisely why an investigation is warranted

Not to to blame or castigate. But to learn and never fail like this again
    whilst humans arseholes point to the ground and avarice is accepted as normal ,wars and fucking disasters will be humanities bedmates! we are simply too far up ourselves and with self belief bordering on delusional history will repeats itself at will.
    with temperatures around 4,500'c and hot air masses travelling around 500-800 k/h at point of explosion-anyone want to plat wicket keeper to a 18"naval shell comin outada barrell??
    Im fairly confident whats left is sweet fuck all.
    My sources -a very close friend whose a H&S professional -was working for DOL at time of this -a cousin whose father himslf & son have all spent a lifetime underground on the coast and other sources very closely connected to the main players.my son whose 1st cousin is 1 /29-let em bloody lie in peace!
    strongman was never resolved -brunner was never resolved -whats different this time
    youll never heal wounds by constantly picking at the scab-mark my words.