Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pukekohe. Anyone live there?

Pukekohe. Anyone live there?

If all goes to plan we will be emigrating to NZ in the new year, and I just wondered what the Pukekohe area was like?

Lucky guy! I'm still fishing for job offers myself and I've never been to Pukekohe but i'd be interested to hear more about your experiences while going through the process.

Pukekohe is rapidly expanding as the population of Auckland is pushing out.
    Primary industry in the area is vegetable growing.
    If you are looking to live there and travel towards the city then be prepared to sit in traffic due to accidents or general congestion some days and ok on others
    Great for heading sloth to go hunting

Pukekohe is considered far away from Auckland but by comparison you're looking at @45" motorway drive to get into Auckland city itself. The problem with the motorway is that it's only 3 lanes, so can block up quite quickly quickly and turn that drive into a bit of a slog. Rush hour seems to be @ 0700 - 1100 then 1500 - 1900 ish, as the motorway feeds a lot of southern locations.

A touch closer is Papakura, Takanini, still close enough to be serviced by the city (trains, buses) but you're a short hop onto the motorway to head south.

I had a friend who moved from London who thought the hour each way drive from Warkworth to the city for work was a bargain compared to what he had spent in the tube, etc. But because NZ is small, a daily commute of more than an hour each way is generally considered insane.

From the city
    - north there are some rural areas but it's becoming very heavily residential. Trafiic can be tricky with the Harbour bridge into the city.
    - west heading out to Helensville, also new for residential but not as sparse as further south
    - east. Forget it, chokka with residential and they're squeezing in more hourse
    - south. Potential but traffic if you need to commute.

They're spending some serious $ on infrastructure on motorways, electric trains, etc but that means there's roadworks everywhere and speed restrictions.

Cheers guys.

Jaycolli, the advantage we have is my brother, sister and mother in law are all residents and I have a multitude of skills under my belt. I'll let you know how I get on though.

We are just looking at areas at the moment. My sister in law is in Orewa and my brother in law is in Hamilton and we want to be roughly in between the two and somewhere on the outskirts of Auckland. We have also got two boys of 9 and 10 so schools also play an important part of where we end up. Its tough!!

Keep the info coming!

Having a multitude of skills is not likely to score you more points, unless one of them happens to be on the shortage lists. Of course, if your partner has a sought after skill set or qualification, you may already have your foot in the door. Be prepared for a frustrating time dealing with Immigration.
    All I can say of Pukekohe and Aucks in general is that I avoid going there as much as possible due to having a severe aversion to traffic, bought about by living on the Coromandel for 8 years
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I was born there. Lucky for me my parents had a couple working brain cells and decided to leave the Auckland area
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I was born there. Lucky for me my parents had a couple working brain cells and decided to leave the Auckland area
    And went where?!!!! With a couple of brain cells they would have been the highest IQ peeps of Wairoa
    Toby and Gibo like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    And went where?!!!! With a couple of brain cells they would have been the highest IQ peeps of Wairoa
    Ouch!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

That was quite well put tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Having a multitude of skills is not likely to score you more points, unless one of them happens to be on the shortage lists. Of course, if your partner has a sought after skill set or qualification, you may already have your foot in the door. Be prepared for a frustrating time dealing with Immigration.
    All I can say of Pukekohe and Aucks in general is that I avoid going there as much as possible due to having a severe aversion to traffic, bought about by living on the Coromandel for 8 years
    But...but...but...don't Aucklanders descend on the Coro in their thousands at every opportunity...Aucklanders hate going home, that is why they drive so slowly getting back to Auck's that they cause massive traffic jams...never see TV footage of traffic holdups of them leaving the city, only of them trying to get slowly back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    But...but...but...don't Aucklanders descend on the Coro in their thousands at every opportunity...Aucklanders hate going home, that is why they drive so slowly getting back to Auck's that they cause massive traffic jams...never see TV footage of traffic holdups of them leaving the city, only of them trying to get slowly back in.
    You haven't seen the jams heading north on holiday weekends then
    I liked Pukekohe when it was a township divorced from Auck, but it is quickly becoming just another satellite suburb. Still it's a better choice than a lot of Auckland.

Hawkfish have you looked at your budget for a house. If you find a cheap house in Auckland you probably don't want to live there. Or are you looking at renting?

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    You haven't seen the jams heading north on holiday weekends then
    I liked Pukekohe when it was a township divorced from Auck, but it is quickly becoming just another satellite suburb. Still it's a better choice than a lot of Auckland.
    Don't get me wrong, Aucklander's are lovely friendly people...whenever I go there they always wave to me, usually with their arm out the window with only one or two digits showing.
    Barefoot likes this.

We care and share