Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: question for the electricians

question for the electricians

ive got one of those bathroom fans with 2 heat lamps in it and a mushroom bulb in the middle its been fine since we bought the house but now the c**t of a thing keeps blowing the mushroom bulb it lasts about 2 days max its starting to really piss me off and the shops nearly run out of bulbs any ideas shit bulbs perhaps or power surges they are a wierd shape and i havnt found an led or similar i could use cheers

My electrician says they're shit and it's best to get rid of them, patch the hole and put a fan above the shower and chuck a couple of recessed lights in the ceiling.
    kiwijames and Beaker like this.

maybe shit but mine's been going 6yrs with no blown bulbs. Suspect a damaged cable i.e vermin or damaged at the screw connection. Get your Sparky around for peace of mind at least.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

What bulbs are you replacing it with? Is there an LED alternative? We have a new light fitting in the lounge that was blowing Halogen lights all the time so replaced it with LED and have been great. Might be worth a try before the electrician comes round to check.

Bin it!!
    Savage1, gadgetman, mikee and 1 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Blowing bulbs and fuses is not normal. There's either an electrical wiring problem or equipment problem with the light & fan unit, either needs looking at before things go tits up.

Its weird that the other two bulbs in the unit don't blow

What is the bulb number ie E27, it does seem odd that there is no LED replacement.... If you are worried I would call an electrician, I personally would try LED first (if you can find it).

Yep, Get a "MAN" in, electrickery can bite
    kiwijames, Maca49 and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Yep, Get a "MAN" in, electrickery can bite
    What He said,can't see the sneaky bastard stuff lying in ambush.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Quote Originally Posted by GMH72 View Post
    What is the bulb number ie E27, it does seem odd that there is no LED replacement.... If you are worried I would call an electrician, I personally would try LED first (if you can find it).
    The E27 indicates a 27mm Edison screw fitting.

As far as I'm aware there are no LED heat bulbs, the idea being that LED's are more efficient so produce more light for less heat. You could throw in an E27 LED bulb to produce light.
    kiwijames likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

the fitting is a dud, the cheap edison fittings are bloody awful mainly as the spring loaded contact at the rear loses its tension due to heat overtime. turn the power off and clean the contact and pull it slightly forward to get more tension, then fit a good quality led in there

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    the fitting is a dud, the cheap edison fittings are bloody awful mainly as the spring loaded contact at the rear loses its tension due to heat overtime. turn the power off and clean the contact and pull it slightly forward to get more tension, then fit a good quality led in there
    The Edison screw fittings I've seen don't have a spring loaded contact as you just screw it in to make contact. The B22 (22mm Bayonet) connectors have two spring loaded contacts. Either way a bad contact would not normally blow a bulb as it tends to reduce the voltage across the filament but warms up the fitting.

We used to get a lot of blown bulbs because we lived close to a major substation and had to get special bulbs. The LED stuff is normally good from 90-265V.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The E27 indicates a 27mm Edison screw fitting.

As far as I'm aware there are no LED heat bulbs, the idea being that LED's are more efficient so produce more light for less heat. You could throw in an E27 LED bulb to produce light.
    Oh my bad, I thought the smaller middle one was just for light. Ignore me

Quote Originally Posted by GMH72 View Post
    Oh my bad, I thought the smaller one in the middle was just for light. Ignore me.
    It will be. See if you can put a standard shaped LED bulb in there.