Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dougie

Thread: Questions from Canada & Fiji

Questions from Canada & Fiji

Hi All. I am from Canada. I'm posting on behalf on my American Father in Law who lives in Fiji (also a citizen there too), and has no idea what an internet forum is. He runs a farm in the Sigatoka valley, and has expressed an interest in guns to me and wants some advice.

1.)He needs to shoot some annoying small birds, which I can't remember the name of. They eat his chicken's food and cause problems. They're about a half kilo each and apparently 17 of them barely fed 5 people for dinner.

2.)There's also some wild pigs running around the hillside getting into trouble with his farm and some of the others. He says it's a Sow that has about a dozen piglets with her. He also doesn't want much recoil.

If he were in Canada, I'd recommend a 7mm-08 for the pigs in a semiauto action and a shotgun with 3" chamber in 20 gauge for the birds, maybe a .410. So now, the real reason why I'm posting: From what I understand, guns are not bought directly in Fiji, he'd be buying from Australia or NZ. I don't know which calibers and shotgun gauges are more common to either country.

So given that he's importing everything into Fiji, and ease of availability is paramount what would you recommend? I'm basically looking for super easy to find calibers that he won't have a problem ordering in to Fiji. He's not even sure if there are any legal dealers in Fiji, and so I'm also curious if Fiji citizens are able to import from NZ?

Ha ha in thought this was going to be a scam to send guns into Fiji to start another coo . " gun works canterbury " sell a full suppressed 410 single . Would sort those wee birds
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

7mm08 on piggies? Send him a knife and a slingshot, he'll be right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    I lived in Fiji in the early '70's. There were f-all guns in private ownership. Some farmers had them for pig problems but they were secured at the local cop shop and had to be signed out and back in each time they were needed. That was my understanding, gained from knowing the Police Commissioner in the Nadi area at the time. I doubt it has changed much, in fact I'd say, with the repeated levels of unrest and successive coups over the ensuing 40 years, there is even less chance of Joe Public being able to possess a firearm. He should approach his local police in the first instance.

I seem to recall someone tried to smuggle AK 47s in there during the coups in the '80's...
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

.22lr would do the job
    VIVA LA HOWA

@Tytalus

In fiji people have only 3 calibres of guns. (.22, 12g and 16g). Shotguns are all single shot ones. Till now people are not allowed to import new guns and there is no gun shop locally.. (Bet if it was - it would have been looted already by now).

Guns are not issued for recreational stuff like here.. It is only given to farmers who have pest issues.. A application needs to be made at the Police Station and a few officers after 2-3 weeks will come to access your apllication, ask some very stupid questions and will want to see the pest..

If you application is successful than you will be issued a old fire arm from the armry that would have been surrended by its previous owner or you be given an option to secretly buy from someone who already has it and is willing to sell it to you but by telling the police that he is transfering it to you as he no longer can handle it.. lol

I dont think this is going to change any time soon as Fiji is holding a election after almost 8years this sept.. lol

Ask you father-in-law to find someone who has a .22 and is willing to part with it to get it transfered his name.. Thats the easiest and fastest way..

and and mind you a .22 cost around $1500 - 3000 in fiji depending on condition when current license holders part with it.. (advantage of the situation) - same .22 bought here brand new would be few hundred only..

Most common ones there are strling and BSA

cheers