Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Rats!!!!

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    397
    I think the only thing that prevents a lot of these pesties becoming established ( ex shipping methods ) is the winter and the wet. When the boot is on the other foot such as to China and exporting from NZ logs it gets the shit bombed out of it, on board and pre loading.

  2. #17
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    24,517
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    hey @Rushy let us know what time you trying this so I can be outside with my binos for a good view ta.
    You silly bugger you can't see the far side of the moon! Not even with X-ray bino's.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You silly bugger you can't see the far side of the moon! Not even with X-ray bino's.
    ye but I can see you on the way up and the way back

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,612
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Yes it was a National Party invention. Someones trying to differentiate one species of rat politician from another

    Pipe dream? Add possums, mustelids, hares and rabbits. Unfortunately as much as DNA control sounds appealing chances are that like other attempt to biologically control pests we may just f*** it up and make things worse.
    They bought rabbits in cos they thought it would be fun....Ooops first mistake.
    They thought Weasels ,stoats and ferrets eat rabbit, bring those in....Oooops they like the birds - easier and tastier...
    Everytime the release an animal to do one job, they discover the balance is so different that it takes another path.


    Introducing a DNA control sounds like great idea....just like the great idea of introducing pests to start with. Our descendants will look back on this and the undoubtedly catostophic consequences and ask two things - What were they thinking? and "How the hell did they not figure out it was a bad idea like previous attempts?

  5. #20
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    1,799
    We didnt get foxes to control the "good idea rabbits" as the ones destined for NZ died on the voyage. By the time more were organised the Aussies had already found out that they weren't such a smart idea so they got stopped. As far as I know the only other time was in the 50s or early 60s when it was suggested introducing mountain lions to help control deer in the south island.
    It evidently was pointed out that the lions might find sheep easier to catch.
    stingray, Shearer, Boaraxa and 2 others like this.

  6. #21
    Member Maca49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    14,452
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    It was predator free NZ when they started and I suspect it changed to pest because they kept publishing photos of Possums, deer and rabbits which are not predators. So this clearly shows it was an idea dreamed up by people who had absolutely no idea about what they were talking about. Thye should have, but clearly missed the mark.

    Predator Free 2050: Our work

    One thing I can tell you, if it was possible to eliminate all the pests / predators anywhere, it would have already been done in Mackenzie basin. The agricultural sector there has spent way more than the Government ever will and they still struggle to control them. If they could have achieved elimination, I can promise they would have succeeded years ago.
    North Korea could do it in the blink of an eye! Of course they’re be back given time!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  7. #22
    Member Maca49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    14,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    We didnt get foxes to control the "good idea rabbits" as the ones destined for NZ died on the voyage. By the time more were organised the Aussies had already found out that they weren't such a smart idea so they got stopped. As far as I know the only other time was in the 50s or early 60s when it was suggested introducing mountain lions to help control deer in the south island.
    It evidently was pointed out that the lions might find sheep easier to catch.
    Yep I’d be putting neutered cats on the island to catch the rat, old ones, say 6 mth to expiry date?
    Or maybe a small timed bomb inside them?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  8. #23
    Member EeeBees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    past the gum trees on your left
    Posts
    4,897
    Cannot remember where I read it, but it was about trapping then neutering/speying feral cats and releasing them (the writer was so earnest!!!!)... how much does one .22 round cost ... just like giving possums contraceptives ... go figure!!!!

    The possum was introduced because someone came up with the wonderful notion that a fur industry could be established ...
    stingray likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

    ...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so how come these people had rat detection strips and not good nature/doc 200 etc traps permanently set????
    surely a triggered trap with dead rat under it is better indication than foot prints and is proactive from the getgo.....
    Probably because the detection strips are about one percent of the cost of a trap. Not much point spending thousands on traps when the island has been rat free up until now.
    Blisters likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    They bought rabbits in cos they thought it would be fun....Ooops first mistake.
    They thought Weasels ,stoats and ferrets eat rabbit, bring those in....Oooops they like the birds - easier and tastier...
    Everytime the release an animal to do one job, they discover the balance is so different that it takes another path.


    Introducing a DNA control sounds like great idea....just like the great idea of introducing pests to start with. Our descendants will look back on this and the undoubtedly catostophic consequences and ask two things - What were they thinking? and "How the hell did they not figure out it was a bad idea like previous attempts?
    But don't forget that the same people (I presume) brought deer, thar, chammy, pheasant, ducks, trout etc. But we don't hear too many complaints from our side about that.
    EeeBees and 223nut like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

  11. #26
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Meeeauw!
    Woof!!!
    berg243 likes this.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,612
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    But don't forget that the same people (I presume) brought deer, thar, chammy, pheasant, ducks, trout etc. But we don't hear too many complaints from our side about that.
    Well we do, just not from us. However, with the hunting pressure these are controllable. But no one would argue that deer were not a problem in the decades after WW2.....A lot of effort was put in to bring these back to controllable numbers. The question is, if we were to back and make that same decision now, with what we know now, would we make the same decision?
    Marty Henry likes this.

  13. #28
    MIA somewhere in Nam 300CALMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Reluctantly JAFA
    Posts
    2,743
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Well we do, just not from us. However, with the hunting pressure these are controllable. But no one would argue that deer were not a problem in the decades after WW2.....A lot of effort was put in to bring these back to controllable numbers. The question is, if we were to back and make that same decision now, with what we know now, would we make the same decision?
    Modern PC would say none of that allowed at all but rats mice and many others would find there way here uninvited. Just remember that deer and goats came for farming also and farm escapes contribute significantly. Sheep and cows?

  14. #29
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Probably because the detection strips are about one percent of the cost of a trap. Not much point spending thousands on traps when the island has been rat free up until now.
    a few strategigally placed doc 200s dont cost thousands...less that a hundy each for general public and I dare say about $25 for likes of doc. so a mere thousand will get you 40...that covers a shit load of territory at 1 or 2 per bay.... bait with fresh egg, pingpong ball and rabbits tail and check say every 2 months...... hopefully anything that comes ashore finds box and dies before it gets inland.

  15. #30
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    1,140
    I got some mining equipment from the states a few years ago it arrived on 2 pellets it was like an early xmas , I opened the last sealed container of hoses etc & spotted a bunch of insects but before I could grab the lid , buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz gone.
    This year will go down in history . For the first time a civilised nation has full gun registration . Our streets will be safer , our police more efficient , and the world follow our lead into the future" Adolf Hitler ,1935

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Bush Rats by Neville Tohill - courtesy of Moonhunt
    By Rushy in forum Resource Library
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-07-2017, 09:56 PM
  2. Goodbye possums, rats and stoats
    By stug in forum Hunting
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 03-09-2016, 11:38 AM
  3. Rats in the ceiling getting sorted.
    By Bonecrusher in forum Off topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-10-2014, 09:35 PM
  4. Book - Bush Rats
    By moonhunt in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 09:23 PM
  5. Rats (the ones you eat)
    By Ryan in forum Off topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!