Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Sapper

Thread: Rats in the ceiling getting sorted.

Rats in the ceiling getting sorted.

My pet hate, old numb nuts left the dog biscuits in the 20KG bag in the garage instead of locking them away in the container with a seal proof lid. Now mister ratus has accessed the ceiling and is hiding dog biscuits every where. I've just sent the wife up to retrieve said biscuits and lay more bait mister rat won't want to meet her in a dark alley or ceiling space she can bite. Meanwhile I sit here sipping on my coffee tapping away on the keyboard .
    Being rural I have a baiting regime plenty of bait runs pond / shelter belt not that far away from property I go through a truck load of bait

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Not attempting to "teach my grandmother how to suck eggs" so my apologies in advance if you see it as such, but I find the best baits are the pellets with a hole through the middle which allows them to be either nailed to a solid whatever or held inside a 30 cm long piece of old plastic downpipe by a bit of number 8 through a couple of holes. That way, rattus rattus is unable to just take it home to add to his winter storage. He has to eat it and that way the bait is effective, not wasted by being stored. Being inside the down pipe the good guys, such as cats, dog, seventh day adventists, etc cannot get at it and suffer an untimely demise. On second thoughts, not to sure about the SDA's.
    distant stalker likes this.
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have been at war with rats for many decades. I am still alive but can't say the same for the hundreds of rats that have shot, trapped, poisoned and wicked cats on to.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I'm using the bait and bait stations ex farmlands that have the hole in the centre of the bait fixed with a wire this stops old ratus taking the bait with him.
    Just found a dead rat in the garden 2nd in two weeks I should have taken a photo he certainly the biggest I have seen. Our cat was sitting beside it obviously thinking .....
    I'll keep feeding them while they keep taking the bait this mild winter must have ensured a good early start to the breeding season

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    ...................I'll keep feeding them while they keep taking the bait this mild winter must have ensured a good early start to the breeding season
    At least, you now know that the food is actually going to a very deserving stomach. :>)
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

had that problem in a flat I was in yrs ago. late flatemate solved it by turning stereo up fullbore and headshooting a rather hungry largus bastardus right through the swede as he raced acroos the barroom carpet.we arrived home to find him scrubbing furiously at what resembled a badly assembled doughnt which had been thrown onto said carpet
    Ratus met a winchester dynapoint slug head on ,fatally of course.
    landlord being a good bloke thought this a bit too radical ,so got the pro's in who loaded our ceiling spaces with warfarin based poison- the scuttling sounds ceased permanently about two weeks later

Male sure there's a tray of water near the bait too, saves them chewing through your water pipes looking for water after they have eaten the bait, have seen it a couple of times and gets expensive quickly and insurance is a prick with that sort of damage (not saying op hasn't done this already)

Yeh they try eating through dishwasher pipes as well... That can get spendy