Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommend a book.

Recommend a book.

I enjoy a good book ever now and then, I usually try to read a couple over summer (Christmas/New Year break).

The idea behind this thread is pretty simple - recommend a book, it doesn’t have to be hunting or fishing related.

Here are some of my recommended reads (war, journalism, photography and food).

Fools Rush In: A True Story of War and Redemption - Bill Carter

Description:

When tragedy strikes Bill Carter's life he finds himself drawn to an unlikely place -- Bosnia, in the midst of its civil war. Searching for meaning in the heart of darkness, he manages to find lodging in an abandoned tower block and sets out getting supplies to the starved, besieged citizens of Sarajevo. It is there that Carter emerges from his stupor. Inspired by a community of people working to bring relief to the city, he daringly enlists the help of music group U2 and its lead singer, Bono, who set up satellite links on the band's Zooropa tour that allowed ordinary citizens of Sarajevo to speak unedited and live on 90-foot television screens to thousands of concertgoers worldwide.
    Just as Michael Herr's Vietnam memoir Dispatches captured the horror of war for the '60s generation, Bill Carter's Fools Rush In will be the seminal book for this generation on the visceral and transformative impact of war in our time.

Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs...She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse - Paul Carter

Description:

Since age 18, Paul Carter has worked on oil rigs in locations as far flung as the Middle East, Columbia, the North Sea, Borneo, Tunisia, Sumatra, Vietnam, Nigeria, Russia, and many others — and he's survived (so far!) to tell stories from the edge of civilization (places, as it happens, upon which most of our lives rely). Carter has been shot at, hijacked and held hostage, almost died of dysentery in Asia and toothache in Russia, watched a Texan lose his mind in the jungles of Asia, lost a lot of money backing a scorpion against a mouse in a fight to the death, and served cocktails by an orangutan on an ocean freighter. Taking postings in some of the world's wildest and most remote regions — not to mention some of the roughest rigs on the planet — Carter has worked and gotten into trouble with some of the maddest, baddest and strangest people you could ever hope not to meet.

The Bang-Bang Club: Snapshots from a Hidden War - Greg Marinovich and Joao Silva

Description:

A gripping story of four remarkable young men—photographers, friends and rivals—who band together for protection in the final, violent days of white rule in South Africa.

Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures - Heidi Postlewait, Kenneth Cain and Doctor Andrew Thomson

Description:

A new kind of war requires a new kind of war story. This scorching, devastatingly honest memoir is a first-of-its-kind confession of love, friendship, and betrayal of ideals from civilians who volunteered to be on the front lines.

In the early 1990s, three young people attracted to UN peacekeeping for very different reasons cross paths in Cambodia. Heidi, a new York social worker on the run from a marriage gone bust, is looking for an adventure. Andrew is a young doctor seeking to save lives. Ken is fresh from Harvard Law and full of idealism.

The UN organizes Cambodia's first democratic elections, and Phnom Penh is the scene of wild parties, as the international community celebrates the end of the Cold War. There the three become friends for life.

Propelled by success in Cambodia, the US and UN sponsor peacekeeping missions to Somalia, Haiti, and Bosnia. Ken and Heidi find themselves together in Somalia. They dance on their rooftop to Jimi Hendrix while helicopters buzz overhead so close they feel the heat of the exhaust. "You're listening to 99.9 FM Mogadishu—Rockin' the Dish," American Armed Forces Radio announces, "Keep your head down and the volume up."

But after the infamous Black Hawk Down incident when eighteen US Army Rangers were killed in a firefight with Somali militias, a chain reaction of violence breaks loose. As the trio's missions unravel, their bond tightens. Andrew is sent to Haiti, to Bosnia, and then Rwanda where he finds Ken, investigating the mass grave of genocide. Heidi's journey is unforgettable—a rare woman in a man's world of conflict and war.

The three friends' voices mingle to paint an indelible picture—suffused with tenderness and unexpected humor—of life, love, and death in the world's most dangerous places. By day they struggle to bring order out of chaos; by night they use revelry, sex, each other—desperate measures from faith to flesh and everything in between—to find a human connection in a terrifying world. Graphic, lyrical, and astonishingly urgent, Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures is a celebration of the strength of the human spirit—and of the gritty power of friendship to keep you alive.

War Junkie: One Man's Addiction to the Worst Places on Earth - John Steele

Description:

Soon after starting work as an ITN cameraman, Jon Steele began to feel strangely at home in the kind of places ordinary people get evacuated from. In Moscow, he filmed in the midst of chaos as armed rebels and militia fought hand-to-hand battles on the streets. In Rwanda, he filmed the horrific aftermath to the most brutal massacre of modern times. In Zaire, he filmed endless fields full of young children deranged by hunger and ravaged by cholera. And finally in Bosnia, Jon realized that he had seen and filmed more than he could cope with, and finally spiralled into a deep emotional meltdown.

Generation Kill - Evan Wright

Description:

Within hours of 9/11, America’s war on terrorism fell to those like the twenty-three Marines of the First Recon Battalion, the first generation dispatched into open-ended combat since Vietnam. They were a new pop-culture breed of American warrior unrecognizable to their forebears—soldiers raised on hip hop, video games and The Real World. Cocky, brave, headstrong, wary and mostly unprepared for the physical, emotional and moral horrors ahead, the “First Suicide Battalion” would spearhead the blitzkrieg on Iraq, and fight against the hardest resistance Saddam had to offer.

The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer - Philip Carlo

Description:

He was Sammy the Bull Gravano’s partner in the killing of Paul Castellano. John Gotti hired him to torture and kill his neighbor. A favorite among all the seven East Coast crime families, Richard “Ice Man” Kuklinski conducted his business with coldhearted intensity. By his own estimate, he murdered over two hundred men, taking enormous pride in his variety and ferocity of technique.

But behind Kuklinski’s trail of murder was a traditional, loving, Catholic family. A married father of three, Kuklinski was always regarded as being especially kind to children; he threw summer block parties in his New Jersey neighborhood, and he was always generous around Christmastime. And before his crimes finally caught up with him, his family never suspected a thing…

The River Cottage Meat Book

Description:

First published in the United Kingdom, THE RIVER COTTAGE MEAT BOOK quickly became an underground hit among food cognoscenti around the world. Now tailored for American cooks, this loving, authoritative, and galvanizing ode to good meat is one part manifesto on high-quality, local, and sustainable meat production; two parts guide to choosing and storing meats and fowl; and three parts techniques and recipes for roasting, cooking, barbecuing, preserving, and processing meats and getting the most out of leftovers. With this thought-provoking and practical guide, meat eaters can knowledgeably buy and prepare meat for better health and better living, while supporting the environment, vibrant local economies, and respectful treatment of animals.

Hunger for the Wild - Al Brown

Description:

Based on the high-rating TV1 series of the same name, Hunger for the Wild follows Wellington restaurateurs Al Brown and Steve Logan as they travel the country exploring great places and excellent wild food. Along the way learn about the local food, the land around it and the people who harvest it. Each chapter includes mouth-watering recipes and information on history and local identities. With crayfish on the West Coast, scallops in Nelson, wild pig up the Whanganui River, paua from the Wellington coast, pheasant in Rotorua, whitebait on the West Coast, rabbit in Otago, flounder in Kawhia, crabs from Waikanae and eel from Canterbury, this book covers our heartland and its wonderful produce in lively style. This will appeal to: lovers of the TV show; keen Logan Brown fans; mainstream New Zealanders who are into hunting, shooting, fishing; the regional audience who love books that showcase their area; foodies who are into local produce; and people looking for a great New Zealand gift book with a twist.

Go Fish - Al Brown

Description:

In this book Al Brown brings us 90 exceptional fish recipes. Some of these recipes are very simple, and they are all approachable and cookable. They underscore Al's philosophy that good food is about freshness of produce - and then cooking it and seasoning it correctly.

The Kiwi Smoker - Carl Scott

Description:

A bushfire guide. Ideas and recipe's to get the most from your smoker

Combining a love of seafood with the unique flavours & aromas captured by the smoking process, Carl Scott shares some of his own personal recipes & some from his equally enthusiastic friends. Some of the techniques & recipes in the book have been designed for use with the "Bushfire Smoker" that Carl designed but most also apply to any of the smaller, compact-type smokers used by the majority of beginners.

This book covers such topics as:
    The art of "Hot Smoking" - Brining, Smoking lots of different fish species, Smoking cheese, Smoking Sausages, Smoking chicken plus many more interesting smoked dish's and discuss's how to fillet the fish.

Stoked - Al Brown

Description:

Fishermen and good home cooks alike devoured Go Fish and its winning combination of excellent recipes, great yarns, gorgeous photography, devotion to the stunning NZ coastline and way of life, all with a touch of nostalgia. Now Al Brown applies this same formula to that icon of Kiwi life: the barbecue. But not just any old barbecue: Al explores a wide range of outdoor cooking styles - grills of all sorts, smoking, spits, outdoor ovens (tandoor, pizza) etc, including how-tos. With more than 100 recipes, there's an emphasis on fast and tasty, with recipes for bruschetta, burgers, pizza, fritters, chargrilled seafood, beef, lamb and chicken, ribs, plus slow roasted meats. There's game (venison, duck and goat); plus excellent salads and classic cake tin slices and bikkies. Added to this treasure trove are more classic go-to recipes - sauces and relishes for the perfect finish. Featuring wonderful photography by Kieran Scott shot in NZ's most amazing scenery, including the high country above the Wakatipu Basin in Central Otago; the rugged south Wairarapa coastline; hunting and fly fishing at the 8000-acre Ngamatea Station in the Central North Island; wild porcini mushroom gathering in Canterbury; an outdoor tandoor oven with Indian friends in Wellington, and a hangi up the Whanganui River. This is the complete package, yet again!

Video: Stoked -- the new book from Al Brown - YouTube

Cheers,

Raging Bull
    crzyman and Bryan like this.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

I don't think I can create a thread as awesome looking as yours there mate...but definately second Gen Kill. That book is close to my heart, it is a fantastic read and you feel like you have made friends by the end of it. Plus, Rudy Reyes is my absolute hero and is my choice for "the one leave pass"

Jarhead is another awesome read for the grunts out there.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    All of the fictional "Jack Reacher" novels written by Lee Child. Just gotta love the justice he deals out.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Dougie - Generation kill is one of my favourites, I also enjoyed David Simon's G K mini series and his series the WIRE.

I have watched the film Jarhead, but haven't read the book... how different are they? Cheers.

Rushy - Haven't come across the Lee Child novels before, they look interesting. Cheers.

Vapour - Interesting selection, might have to get a couple from the book depo. Cheers.

That Rudy guy was actually in the TV mini series version

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I don't think I can create a thread as awesome looking as yours there mate...but definately second Gen Kill. That book is close to my heart, it is a fantastic read and you feel like you have made friends by the end of it. Plus, Rudy Reyes is my absolute hero and is my choice for "the one leave pass"

Jarhead is another awesome read for the grunts out there.
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Ragin Bull - Jarhead book is definately better, there are quite a few things they manipulated to make the movie 'fit' better. Gen Kill mini series was a very good representation of the book but I put that down to time available (not fitting it into 1.5hours) and also that the real dudes were involved as Vapour said.

Mmmmmmmmm Rudy.......
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Anything by James Lee Burke.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Last Safari

The Last Safari by Bruce Vanbuskirk

awesome read, am busy with it for the 3rd time!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

there is only one book to read and that is SHADOW DIVERS, a true story about a sunken u boat. sounds boring but once u start reading it u wont want to leave it alone. much the same as a good women.

My latest read was 'American by Blood', by Andrew Huebner, a fictional work based on historical events (the author's great great grandfather being party to it) set in 1870s during the wars between the Europeans and First Nation peoples...it deals with Custer's disastrous defeat at Little Big Horn...parts are super creepy with some of the guerilla warfare antics; it is downright bloody in patches, chillingly realistic throughout and deals with personal reflections of the cavalrymen...I read it with all the lights on!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I read it with all the lights on!!
    EeeBees, I can't help myself here. It would have been bloody hard to read it with the lights off (unless of course if it was daytime).
    EeeBees likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    there is only one book to read and that is SHADOW DIVERS, a true story about a sunken u boat. sounds boring but once u start reading it u wont want to leave it alone. much the same as a good women.
    SK the world would be a bloody boring place if there truly was only one book to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    EeeBees, I can't help myself here. It would have been bloody hard to read it with the lights off (unless of course if it was daytime).
    thank you Rushy for making me laugh...its been a long week...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Name:  200px-Stalingradbook.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  19.0 KB Pretty heavy but thoroughly engrossing

Name:  170px-The_Great_War_for_Civilisation_-_Dust_Jacket_-_Robert_Fisk.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  12.3 KB Same again but better especially nowadays

Name:  51C9gLs8-IL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  22.3 KB Cool. Like what you did as a kid just documented