Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Reel Recovery - Getting the word out!!

Reel Recovery - Getting the word out!!

With a few days to go before our first Reel Recovery Retreat for for the year I thought I’d post a bit more info about what we do for guys who have previously been diagnosed with cancer and to get the word out across the hunting and fishing fraternity as some may be keen to give it a try in the future, or know others who would like to benefit from this or other events.

I need to personally also acknowledge our friend @Toby. It was hoped that he would be well enough to attend one of our retreats, but unfortunately that plan had to be pulled after it became clear he wouldn’t be well enough last year. Thanks mate, you fought courageously but your body just wouldn’t let you complete this one...

Regarding the retreats, they are a weekend trip where between 10-13 guys come along and fly fish each with their own river buddy. Many of the participants see it as an escape and a bit of time out from their treatment, environment, or their post diagnosis pressures as the nature of fly fishing and casting ensures it captivates a lot of the mind and body whilst you are out there doing it.

During the breaks in fishing we get the guys together and let them bond, share and explore many of the common things that may have been experienced by them in their cancer journeys. We call it our “Courageous Conversations” and I know most guys come into the weekend dreading actually having to talk about their stuff – but most finish the weekend getting the most from it - and I’ve visibly seen peoples lives change for the better as a result.

We do this in a totally supportive environment where we provide all gear, accommodation, food, venues and people for these participants at no cost to them. All they need to do is get to us and home afterwards, we take care of the rest. I’m also continually in awe of our Volunteers, river buddies and kitchen staff who give up their time and weekends to bring something special to these guys on the weekend. In case you were wondering how we do it, we fund this activity completely from the likes of trust organisation grants and personal donations where everything goes into putting on the weekends for the participants not the organisation.

We also enjoy non-financial support from the likes of the Prostate Cancer Foundation, Bowel Cancer NZ, The NZ Cancer society and a number of Regional Health Boards such as Waikato DHB and people support from many regional fishing clubs, guides and NZ team members year after year as they have seen what we have achieved from assisting the treatment of the person, not just the disease.

If you are after more information or would like to support us we would love to hear from you. You can comment on the thread (i'll try to reply promptly) or if you would prefer drop me a PM

For background I’ve included a link to a couple of you-tube video of the retreats from our parent organisation in the US. Were working on a kiwi video this year – but you’ll get the idea..We do things a bit more Kiwi-ified down here but you should get a good idea of whats involved and why we do this.

Carpe Diem
    Name:  IMG_5408.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  1.09 MB

Cape Diem the work you and the rest of these people do to help others is truly inspirational stuff.
    Big respect mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very cool mate. I'm impressed.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

Awesome

B
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Brads summed it up I think . Awesome!

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Marvellous. Beautiful and inspiring.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

This world truly needs people like you mate.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    On ya CD. We spoke about this on our couple of trips up and down the line to Wairoa. All power to your collected right arms and big ups to you and all your associates involved in the effort to add value to fragile lives.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

Thanks guys for all the comments of support, donations and PM's for this cause.

You make me feel very humbled with your words of thanks and encouragement.

Next month we'll also be doing a second retreat in the Taumaranui area based out of Kakahi and have a number of guys coming from the Taranaki and Central North Island catchment. This was originally due to be held at Windsor lodge in Taupo, but unfortunately the lease holders weren't able to continue there as the owners want to re-develop the site. A big blow to our plans, but we've successfully moved to this new location and still have the support of the previous lodge staff helping us out at the new location.

I've been asked overnight to put the details up so any others could make donations for our activities. Again a huge thanks and greatly appreciative of your requests as our main focus of this thread certainly was to "get the word out" more than fundraising. So I'll cut and paste our supporters form below for all our details and provide contact points if any of you would like to take advantage of the details.

Any donations over $5 are tax deduct-able eligible and there is a draw for a beautiful custom fly rod for donations over $50.00. As an idea - it costs us about $5K to run a retreat, so every dollar goes directly to making this a free activity for the participants and feeding and accommodating the 15-20 Volunteers at each event. We run a very tight and lean model that ensures the best experience for the guys and maximises the number we can put through the program. As always we are extremely appreciative of your support that assists us getting there on behalf of the guys.

We have also been invited to be at the Waikato Boat show shortly as one of their stands to further get the word out around what we do, and do a little fundraising at the event. So if you do go to this event we'd love to hear from you...

As always, keen to get your comments and feedback and a huge thanks from us here at Reel Recovery.

Kindest Regards
    Paul D (Carpe Diem)

2016 Retreat Supporter Form

Name __________________________________________________
    Address __________________________________________________
    City _________________________ Postcode _________________
    Email __________________________________________________
    Supporter (please tick one)
    Bronze $50 ___
    Silver $100 ___
    Gold $250 ___
    Platinum $500 ___
    Other $ ____ ___
    Please pay by Internet banking to BNZ account 02-0440-0066863-066
    Donations over $5 are tax deductible. Do you wish a receipt issued? Yes / No (circle one)
    Payment reference _____________________________
    (To identify your donation) (Your name plus the word supporter)
    Please email this form to info@reelrecovery.org.nz

2016 Supporters prize draw
    All supporters ($50 and above) are automatically entered into a prize draw for:

A handcrafted fly rod made for Reel Recovery by well-known Auckland angler and rod builder Neil Hirtzel (9ft 5wt 4 piece Kinetic Blank donated by Xin Wu from Speedline)

Thank you, for your generosity from the Reel Recovery New Zealand team. To contact us or for more information:
    Craig Caldwell 183 Newman Road, RD3, Te Awamutu
    Phone 07 872 2686
    Mobile 027 279 6766
    Email craig@reelrecovery.org.nz
    Facebook Reel Recovery New Zealand

Hi All,

I just wanted to thank you guys firstly for your comments and support but also the offers and donations that have been forthcoming. We had a fantastic event with 10 Guys (of the original 12 - some were a little under the weather with treatment etc to attend) coming along to Castle Rock where we ran things out of.

On Friday I was greeted by 10 guys who had never cast a fly line the nearest we had was 3 who had experience on freshwater with spinners (ha thought of you Dundee when they said that!) but by the end of midday Sunday all had caught fish, and some had some really good days catching multiple fish and both browns and rainbows coming to the bank.

The fishing is the inducement and by that stage even on Friday night we'd bonded well as a group and the guys were trusting enough to bare their souls and express honestly their journey, their experiences and their discoveries based on their journey. More than a few times I found myself remembering and sharing some of the sage words and thoughts that our mate @Toby had entrusted me with. As I shared with Toby's sister - "he seems to still be with me a lot at these weekends and I often find I'm sharing a seat with him at our campfire circle". This weekend was no different and I have to say for his young year of life alongside us he did know the "shit from the clay" so to speak.

I'd like to if I can share with you a couple of photo's - showing the number of good buggers that are also out there in the fishing fraternity who give of their time and knowledge to help us both on the river and in the kitchen and just getting things sorted for the guys. I've had already e-mails from almost all participants (they already ALL had passed their thanks at leaving time) just reflecting and scratching their heads as to how many great people there are out there who care about them. Its definitely something special!

Well enough of our indulgence! here's a couple of photo's that say it so much better than I could of ever!

Name:  DSCF3044.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  788.9 KB[ATT
    ACH=CONFIG]46113[/ATTACH]Name:  IMG516.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  531.3 KBName:  P2130086.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  997.3 KBName:  photo 2-2.jpeg
Views: 179
Size:  113.3 KBName:  IMG_2107.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  1.06 MB

Once again guys thanks so much for your support!!

Cheers CD
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    veitnamcam, Gibo and troutheaven like this.

Good Stuff CD. Where is your ugly mug in that line up?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Good Stuff CD. Where is your ugly mug in that line up?
    The dude with his eyes closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    The dude with his eyes closed.

Got it. Dude sitting down next to the dog. He looked like a bloody chinaman at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Got it. Dude sitting down next to the dog. He looked like a bloody chinaman at first glance.
    That's harsh Rushy

That's 'cos I was smiling...

LOL - Note to self- baseball cap and smiling needs to be my disguise when next in Beijing.