Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 15 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 3 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 4 Post By Pengy
  • 4 Post By Happy
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: Reel recovery weekend wrap up in Te Awamutu 2017

Reel recovery weekend wrap up in Te Awamutu 2017

Hi All,

Just thought do a wrap up thread for Reel Recovery 2017's Te Awamutu weekend after my advert a few weeks ago for this.

We thought we'd have to work hard given the weather forecast but weren't really expecting 118mm of rain on Friday night and heavy artillery in the form of a close by thunder storm as our guys came together, bonded and began their weekends Journey.

This years group were a wide mix of cancers and stages of their journey everything from Brain Cancers to Melanoma and Prostate, cancers newly diagnosed to 20+ years and still fighting doggedly, each sharing their journey.
    Their words came from the challenges and penny drop moments and even their most intimate of shared thoughts from many different points of view of their fight and survival. They hate being called cancer sufferers, and instead prefer to talk of their survival stories. Each one a warrior in their own way!

The format of it being a group of just guys and centred around a physical activity (many of these guys had never done fishing before) is a magical ingredient which enables them to take time out and invest a weekend in themselves. To which I believe they come back changed or at least have gained additional life perspectives. I think Luke one of our guys on the retreat said it best - so I'll use his words if that's ok!

"Well . . . entire lifetime with cancer, 20+ years of playing around with fly fishing. Never EVER! have I had 3 days where the two combine as primary reason for an event. And what a truly phenomenal 3-day retreat it was! Incredible, amazing people, sensational organisation of its time. Couldn't have asked for anything more. A memory that, I'm sure all of us who went along will keep for their entire lifetime and then some! Cancer fucking sucks ass! But occasions like this make it so much easier to battle through. A genuine, sincere thank you for every single moment and aspect of the retreat and hospitality etc. I shall never forget it! "
    [/I]

Back to Saturday.... A slight rejig of fishing destination was in order with a local offering up his large Buccaneer on Lake Arapuni to take 3 guys and the remainder we bundled into cars to the Waihou and Waimakariri rivers for the day. A special shout out to Norm for access to his farm, the races and river for the weekend along with the use of his river hut for everyone to meet and refuel over lunch as well. Thanks Mate even though your entrance way to the farm looked like car sales yard - we really appreciated it. Having access to those rivers meant all the guys were able to catch fish over the weekend, and many got to double figures.

Also a special thank you to @Happy for tirelessly getting in over the weekend and rolling his sleeves up and getting shit done. I think he was stopping at the Matamata New World on Sunday to pick up 200 plates, bowls and KFS so he didn't have to see any more dishes for a long time. And yes Happy you know I have that photo of you resplendent in your Pinny and dishpan hands. Thanks mate - you were a star!!!

Thanks also to Dave Benfell for helping me with the guys, photos and talking to the guys at the Sika show about how we can get the word further out there to the hunting and fishing fraternity. I understand that this years Sika show we've been allowed to be the charity of choice - Which I think is a bloody good thing (Thanks Guys for this) and considering the effect of young Toby has had on this forum, I'm hoping to see a lot of you there and at Macca's if he's holding the shin dig this year to share a beer or two!

Finally - Thanks to you guys on the Forum for your PM's and your ongoing support and comments for this activity. It's now got to the stage where a more hunting based skills retreat is also in the initial planning stages and I feel Tobe's comes and kicks my arse from time to time to just get onto it, but we're making progress fella!

Its the only retreat for guys of its type in NZ and we're always looking for ways to make a difference in these guys lives.

Thanks Guys for reading! I had a retreat hangover yesterday, and could barely string two words together - so hopefully this makes sense to those of you reading... We don't have any other retreats in planning now til next year - and the one thing that kicks those into getting planning underway is having guys to go on them. So bear us in mind if you think this minght be something that may be of interest to those you know out there. If we have the demand we'll find a way of doing it - somehow!!

Much Aroha to you all out there! and keep fighting...

Carpe Diem

Good skills @Carpe Diem
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Fantastic,

It is a bloody good thing you do.

Well done Carpe Diem and Happy
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Bloody good on you and all involved in making these events happen mate. I take my hat off to you.
    For sure, The"Toby" effect may be kicking in. Hope to see this type of thing going nation wide and taking all aspects of our great outdoor life into the fold. Hunting included of course.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

@Happy. You are indeed a good bastard too..
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Thanks guys - as always appreciate your support, comments and thoughts in making things better and better for all those involved.
    As always when you get good buggers out there and involved there are some very funny moments out there as well.

I'll probably get a upper cut or two for this, but if you look closely you'll see Happy in his element "happily" manacled to the kitchen sink. Legend!!!
    Name:  Version 2.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  452.7 KB

We also played a game of luring watchers forward to have a moment with the electric fence - and by the end Happy and I were getting quite good at it with a good couple of "takes"
    Name:  IMG_6434.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  1.17 MB
    It was especially good as the farmer had thoughtfully placed the wire of interest at upper thigh height and was not at the full height of the fence so you could lean over and lure others in...
    There were some really good reactions LOL and a few who's howl should have placed them in the choir !!

Anyhow some great times and enjoyment from the guys on the water too.
    Name:  IMG_6396.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  1.10 MB

Thanks Guys !
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Happy like this.

Happy must be the only person out there who has to have written instructions in front of him when washing the dishes.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

No Comment - but I guess that's why he has such lovely soft hands !!! You're soaking in it!

[QUOTE=Carpe Diem;567774]No Comment

And for that you shall pay dearly . The interest is compounding as I type ...

Great weekend with many opportunities' to admire the extreme bravery and strength of some guys in a place you'd wish on no one..

The one that got me was the comment that

" After always being worried about small stuff nothing really matters that much any more "

Needed a bit of a quiet moment me self after that !!

The guys were well looked after by an awesome crew and yes my hands look better than most office girls.. 4 to 5 hours in the kitchen a day will do that.

First time in years they been clean enough so I can pick me nose ..

CD you will keep
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Seeing Happy in the kitchen without his high heels and lipstick makes me think he has finally accepted his role as kitchen bitch.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Seeing Happy in the kitchen without his high heels and lipstick makes me think he has finally accepted his role as kitchen bitch.
    So he'll be fighting you for that honor then mate?
    Happy likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    So he'll be fighting you for that honor then mate?
    Ha ha ha ha touché
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

he doesn't look very happy to me.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    he doesn't look very happy to me.
    Like most blokes I hate photographs of my self
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..