Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Relay for Life - fundraiser for Cancer Society

Relay for Life - fundraiser for Cancer Society

Hi all,
    Im doing the Relay for Life in Hamilton on the 30th March along with family and friends. It's my sister's idea and it's her birthday that day so I couldn't say no!
    I've been battling cancer for the last ten months. I had part of my bowel removed last May (still on a colostomy bag), then in August had my overactive thyroid removed so I could have chemo. Then came the news that there were multiple tumours in my liver. The day after being told the bad news I had a huge bleed in my throat and had emergency surgery at 1am on a Saturday morning to relieve a 4.5x9x10cm hematoma. Several rounds of chemo followed, then liver surgery in December and January with about a third of my liver removed. There were a few other speedbumps along the way, such as blood clots and potentially lethal infections.
    I'm back on chemo now, and will literally be having chemo while doing the Relay, as after 2.5 hours on a drip at hospital I get plugged into a balloon of drugs that slowly infuse over the next 48 hours via a line that goes into my arm along the vein to just above my heart.

A lot of people on the forum already donate to cancer support through the Toby shoot. I am expecting the majority of donations from Facebook and LinkedIn contacts, but thought I should post here as well because if one person donates $2 it helps the Cancer Society.

https://hamilton.everydayhero.com/nz/christopher

Thanks for reading,
    Chris
    Gibo likes this.

Have made donation mate.
    In the same boat had bowel op in Nov 18.
    Now on chemo to make sure budding gets whacked.
    Mate just ran a reel recovery retreat.
    I registered an interest in the next.
    I think they are considering a hunting one.
    Would be good.
    All the best.
    PM me if you want to have a catch up or a yarn.
    I have a mate up the road who has gone the chemo/op/bag chemo path.
    It has been good to have some one knows what it is like to talk to made a great difference.
    Owen
    http://reelrecovery.org.nz/
    Last edited by erniec; 10-03-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added link

Thanks for the very generous donation ernie

Good luck with your journey, it sounds like you are having the "Just in case/kill any stray cancer cells" chemo?
    My bowel op was an acute case, severe stomach cramps and no bowel movements for a week. They removed a section, and at the post-op appointment a few weeks later they confirmed it was cancer. The surgeon said he was confident they got it all, so for me I didnt know i had cancer until it had already been removed (or so i thought). They offered chemo as a just in case option, which i decided to have.
    Then they did a pre-chemo scan and found the tumours in the liver, which changed the chemo to a "try and get this bloody thing under control" plan. Liver surgery was only a slight possibility, but over time the chances increased and the surgeries have been done, so they have removed everything they knew about and fingers crossed nothing else turns up.
    The last time I went hunting was a week before I ended up in hospital, I have a hunt planned for 11 days time, I don't think I'll be breaking any speed or distance records but it will be good to go for a wander in the bush again

Best of luck,
    Chris

I am still at work.
    But no sting at all.
    Up a few flights of stairs and can hardly talk.
    But the side effects such as pins and needles,lock jaw,reaction to cold,cramps are interesting to say the least.
    Like you say "Just in case/kill any stray cancer cells" chemo is what is happening.
    But it is still quite a sobering experience to be told you have got cancer.
    Best of luck with your hunting.
    I had a week booked to hunt local in April but have cancelled.
    Will get back into it when all good.

Yeah, the reaction to cold was interesting, I got home from my first chemo session and drank some cordial out of the fridge, felt like I was swallowing pieces of glass when it hit the back of my throat! I got into a system of preloading ice cream in the few days after that side effect wore off but before the next round.
    My jaw would lock up on the first mouthful of any meal or snack.
    The pins and needles used to only happen with cold temperatures in the first week of chemo, but have now become constant in my feet and fingertips so they have cut that drug from my chemo or it could become permanent.
    Acid reflux and constipation are my main side effects, but are sorted fairly well with drugs.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment, I'll give you a yell if I'm heading down your way.

Giving this a bump, the relay is this weekend.

Good luck let us know how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Good luck let us know how you go.
    Will do!
    I'm off to the hospital for my next round of chemo shortly. I have been doing a bit of walking, but really struggled initially on a day hunt last week. Will be easier without a pack and rifle!

Are you running it or walking. I had another round yesterday and not feeling to flash today.But at work have still been walking, health steps app on phone most days me and work mates show 6000 steps work hours with a lot of stairs in the mix.
    Some days 11-14000
    But no way could I run.
    What I find when coming up heaps of stairs no legs turning to water lungs burning.
    I just stop can hardly talk but no pain the body has stopped.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk

Yeah, nah, no running for me - but that was the same before cancer too!
    For me, when I get chemo on a Thursday and unplugged on Saturday, Monday is usually when I feel my worst, though Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are sometimes not a lot better.
    Recovering from surgery I was only getting 3-4000 steps a day, that increased to 5-8000 and is now around 10000 on average. I have some bigger days of 15-16000, such as a day at the TECT rifle range, Tuesday's at work, and hunting last week. But I used to average over 15000, and had one very busy period at work where I averaged 24750 steps a day for over a month.
    I have no trouble walking around the park, but hunting last week was having to stop every 30-50m on the uphill bits to catch my breath. I decided I would have abandon my plan and instead spend a few hours stillhunting. But I got bored real quick and ended up doing 10km over 8 hours, though the knees quickly turned to jelly on the few uphill sections on the way out.

It is amazing how your hunting can improve with lack of fitness.
    Could never do the sneaky sneaky well when I could leap tall buildings with a single bound.(a while ago]
    Used to racehorse around cover heaps of ground.
    A lot better now.
    Mind you being fit means you arrive at the top in the same state of being knackered, just doing it quicker.

Hey I’ve got two mobility scooters avail? Hahahaha get in and give your best, good luck!
    erniec likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Hey I’ve got two mobility scooters avail? Hahahaha get in and give your best, good luck!
    Might be needing them around hours 10 to 12!

Thanks for your donation too!
    Maca49 likes this.

Having a lunch break now, got here just in time for the survivors lap, have done about 7.5km so far, still just under 10 hours to go,
    wsm junkie likes this.

Five hours to go, had a quick trip to district nurse base to get disconnected from chemo, over 20km walked so far