Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: release agent for bedding

@Mauser308 nothing wrong with what you have suggested.
    BUT its cheaper to buy accraglass release agent or even another spray on (sort of a release agent) Hornady one shot case lube.

@csmiffy ?

Same price for an aerosol can of LPS 3 as the acraglass release agent, dunno about the one shot but my guess is that it's fairly close to the same price.

Last time I brought a can of LPS3 it was about $27 for reference. LPS 3 is a full size aerosol can though, the acraglass is a little jar and the Hornady stuff I have no idea about.

@Mauser308 Apples v oranges. 25 bucks for the accraglass release agent (only a little bottle) and 29 for the case lube and not as big as your stuff.
    First two places I looked up the LPS3 was just over 30 bucks. If you can get it for less that's a bonus
    I've actually read about your results on other searchs about release agent-and I am sure it works well. I am certainly not dissing it.
    They all do different things so if I had to buy one it would be a pick of the one I would use the most. The case lube could be handy and the most likely to get if splurged on a tin.
    BUT even if you discount the shoe polish method I have some wax case lube that is also meant to work well and I already have it so it doesn't cost anything.
    there is a hell of a lot of positive comments about the shoe polish which if available for 6-7 bucks is fine with me.
    Plus as much as it smells nice since the head injury I cant smell stuff like that so I cant use that as justification. Even the smell of a just fired shotgun shell is gone to me.
    Miss that

Fair call. Spray application - a couple of sprays and let dry or wipe off excess and let dry (spray and walk away) is ridiculously fast compared to the manual application of nugget or wax. That's the biggest benefit of the fluid wax spray products, speed of application and confidence level that you haven't missed any areas (the only time I had an issue with epoxy not releasing as planned was using nugget, a skinny part of coating). Last bedding job I did was on a Norinco JW103, longest time to prep the action was plugging it with modelling clay. Trigger, mag well and everything else was only finger tight (haha) and the release agent application took less than 20 seconds - spray shake and dry for a few mins.

I used just about everything you could think on as release agents on various projects (not just firearms) before I got to the 'has to be a better way' moment and picked up the can of rust prevention wax I had on hand. That was hydrocarbon based and contained silicone so no good for epoxy, but the spark was the note on the can that they did the LPS series which was food use approved. Dunno about using it as a sizing lube, probably work though same basic family as the Hornady product.

I use the wax to coat springs and smaller metal parts prior to reassembly, saves pulling them out later to find them quietly rusting away...
    csmiffy likes this.

@csmiffy
    PM me your address

@Mauser308 I hear you. what you say is borne from experience and correct. As an old school fitter I do appreciate stopping things from rusting.
    and nope I wasn't considering your recommended spray as a sizing lube. That might be pushing the envelope to far.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    kiwi shoe polish and powdered graphite works great.....a layer of insulation tape will give you clearance where needed .Im pretty agricultural and havnt managed to glue on together permanently yet.
    +1
    Also you most likely already have it in your cupboard save you that 25 30 bucks! Works a treat.
    csmiffy likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Glad wrap

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Glad wrap
    Have you tried that? I’d be scared it would melt or have some reaction with the bedding compound.

I use PVA release agent
    Can pick up bottle for $15 on tradme
    Works best out of all I’ve tried
    Woody and csmiffy like this.

Iused insulation tape on my bedding jobs never had a proverbial.mind you im of the RAG school!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    LPS 3

LPS 3 also doubles as an excellent long-term storage rust preventative (what it's designed for), and a nice smelling product to cover over those nasty oil and solvent smells in your gunsafe...

‘Nasty’ smells?

I love those smells!
    csmiffy likes this.

Kiwi shoe polish $5.99 cant beat that for price over all your flash Harry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Kiwi shoe polish $5.99 cant beat that for price over all your flash Harry stuff.
    I agree, just finished stabilising and bedding a synthetic Remington 700 ADL and had no issues with Kiwi shoe polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    ‘Nasty’ smells?

I love those smells!
    @Finnwolf I used to as well.
    Not anymore-cant smell 'em.