Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Retail store pricing?

MB

Retail store pricing?

This is only vaguely hunting related. I decide to get a decent slow cooker for my rabbits. The model I want is $199.99 in Noel Leeming. Betta Electrical have the same model online for $109.99. I go in to a local Noel Lemming store and ask if they'll match the price. To their credit, they agree without batting an eyelid. Almost half price, just like that. The markup in these stores must be massive.
    puku, veitnamcam and JoshC like this.

Yup, shop around.
    puku likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

MB
    Always do mate, but that's just crazy!

SiB
    Harvey Norman are likewise. Always challenge any listed price ...

Not a new thing either. Prices have always been negotiable while you have the $$$.
    CooeeBay likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I usually check PriceSpy and go from there.

PriceSpy - Compare prices and do more with your money!

SiB
    The magic question to ask any sales person (commission gatherer) is to eyeball them and challenge them; "is this your BEST price????" Ask it more than once!

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    The magic question to ask any sales person (commission gatherer) is to eyeball them and challenge them; "is this your BEST price????" Ask it more than once!
    you wouldn't try that with me, my best price is the first one and things may go rapidly down hill from there

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    you wouldn't try that with me, my best price is the first one and things may go rapidly down hill from there
    Yes I may suddenly become too busy to help you, funnily enough......no margin in Joinery for that sort of carry on, Firearms etc (my other business) is little different...

P.S. standing by for the flaming....

All depends on where you are shopping, small business that you are taking to the owner I dont ask. Big box stores I sure do
    CooeeBay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Yes I may suddenly become too busy to help you, funnily enough......no margin in Joinery for that sort of carry on, Firearms etc (my other business) is little different...

P.S. standing by for the flaming....
    Well...............................Mr President Sir,

Box stores are normally very bad at hiking up their prices, all depends what it is and the deal at the time. EG Pop up trundler beds, Farmers, smithcity retail them at 1899. Same thing at another store sells them for 899. Every so often those box stores have a sale and sell those pop ups for 999. Still 100 dollars dearer but the sheep think, wow , what a deal when in actually fact they were getting ripped of at the start and still paying too much in the so called sale.
    Life of retail, but one things for sure, no retailer is selling items that are a everyday product at a loss. Their margain is still going to be on average a min of 1.7 after the sale price but often more. Easy to work out what it actually cost them and what rip off price before the sale they were making.
    mikee, Steve123 and CooeeBay like this.

My old boss had the policy of "dont add the margin if you are going to discount it" WHy? Because he did not feel it was fair to lower the price for the person who was cheeky enough to ask (He considered it rude) and to not take it off for the person ewho was polite enough not to. He felt if he could afford it for one then he should do it for all and not put it on there to start with.

One of the most honest people I ever worked with or for. He owned a wee shop in Blenheim called McRobies. Any of you old enough to remember it should remember the old fella who run it......

Wait a month and Briscoes is sure to have a 30-60% off sale

Pisses me off when I price best price first time and Chinese/Indians are constantly trying to barter. I tell them if they want to barter then we will start at retail and end up at trade where we started

SiB
    And no flaming from me re not asking a sole trader or owner operator operation; I wouldn't either. It's the big box stores with staff who will say what they think u want to hear so they can collect their commission I would definitely ask.
    gadgetman, deer243 and Steve123 like this.