Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rib raft flooring or normal slab

Rib raft flooring or normal slab

Basically, the original engineer we used for our site suitability test were f%$king useless and failed to pick up that there was 2-5 metres of fill and a fair bit of water seeping through it all. So $20K+ down we're having to move our house site to an area which is solid and looking like we're changing from a suspended timber floor to a slab. The ground where we're going is very very solid.

New engineer who is bloody brillant reckons we can get it through council as an amendment rather than a whole new consent process, but I cringe thinking about how much the draftsman will sting us.

Basically trying to work out what the cost difference is going to be between our suspended floor and the slab. My father in law is wanting to do ribraft so bugger all footings need doing, I just want what isn't going to break the bank.

Any suggestions? 210sq house.

Gesus mate sounds like a drama

I cant help on the floor but hoping you can get some money back from the 1st lot.

Take them to court type of action im thinking.

Boom, cough,cough,cough

Depending on depth of the graval. $10 per square meter per 100 mm deep . Then you got your pod floor . I can pm you our costs as a comparison.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Savage1 likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

OR you can do this hybrid type .

Savage1, gadgetman and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Depending on depth of the graval. $10 per square meter per 100 mm deep . Then you got your pod floor . I can pm you our costs as a comparison.

What's the advantage of the hybrid floor? Pretty keen on some type of slab, a PM regarding cost differences would be great. The piles we were going to have were meant to go 1000 into solid ground 450 diameter 150SED pole and filled to ground level with concrete, 96 piles needed to so probably would have used a fair bit of concrete anyway.

Advantage can be , flood height . Decorative wooden flooring , better view possibly . They are labour heavy . Pod floor would be cheaper if the site is level

Steve123 likes this.

Site is/will be level, much price difference between pod and standard slab with footings?

The first question you need to ask your engineer is the foundation on 'good ground' in accordance with NZS3604.

ĎVery very solidí ground would suggest that is it and therefore concrete slab foundation in accordance with NZS3604 will be the cheapest solution. Indicative cost is around 170 per m≤. If your draftsman is charging more than 1-1.5k to make the amendment then find a new one.

If you require a site specific foundation design like the one posted above by Munsey then budget 400-500 per m≤ in construction costs alone. This is on top of geotech and drafting fees.

I donít know where you are proposing to build so donít hang your hat on these figures but they are from recent projects in the Christchurch region.
    Steve123 likes this.

I cannot help with the cost difference between piles and ribraft, but the difference between a "normal"slab and a ribraft is about $66 per m2 through the building company we are using. So if you have a price for a normal slab it is about that much more per metre 2 for the rib. Ours is 260m2 and costing an addtional $17k ish if we have to use a rib. (Yet to find out what the ground is like) The hard pack underneath is the same for both of the slab and rib founds.

Interesting foundations, is that because of liquifaction risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post

OR you can do this hybrid type .

I must say I do like how high it is. Much easier for moving round underneath....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    Interesting foundations, is that because of liquifaction risk?
    It’s underlying ground conditions and the required FFL that ultimately determines the foundation type.

Height is determined by the flood modelling in flood prone areas. The issue with raising them is it often breaches recession planes with your neighbours.

The example posted above can be re levelled by jacking and packing if it moves which give home owners piece of mind here in CHCH.

Its horses for courses stuff really.

Savage, I have a list of foundation types and prices from recent design and construction work that I can pass on if you wish. Just PM me your email address.
    Munsey likes this.

We don't have the flooding problem so much here. It's hard to find guys who can do timber foundations up here.
    Industries full of kitset Muppets at present.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    The first question you need to ask your engineer is the foundation on 'good ground' in accordance with NZS3604.

‘Very very solid’ ground would suggest that is it and therefore concrete slab foundation in accordance with NZS3604 will be the cheapest solution. Indicative cost is around 170 per m≤. If your draftsman is charging more than 1-1.5k to make the amendment then find a new one.

If you require a site specific foundation design like the one posted above by Munsey then budget 400-500 per m≤ in construction costs alone. This is on top of geotech and drafting fees.

I don’t know where you are proposing to build so don’t hang your hat on these figures but they are from recent projects in the Christchurch region.
    Cheers, draftsman quoted double that, he's old-school and does all of his drawings by hand so bit more of a major, unsure whether to take it to another draftsman or not. Our current one is really highly regarded.

Whangarei area. Cheers, this information is gold.