Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...

Rifle range over .308

As my google skills are letting me down, thought i'd ask the learned folk on here....

I understand that to certify a range (100&200m) for use for larger than .308 is a bit of a pain in the a. However i cant seem to find any info on why or what is actually needed. Does anyone have any (prefer simple ) lists of requirements?

Working on principle of a flat site, earth works for bunds etc to be done ie total new build.

Any pointers? Or has someone done it?

Think you best talk to local council about resource consents.In case of shot gun is also shot fall & there's going to be safety issues I expect .
    Gun control means using both hands

So you need resource consent and all that hui for a range but nothings stopping a bunch of guys putting up targets on a farm and blasting away?

Council is all good, its more the construction and safety requirement details that i'm curious in.

And yes toby, need a lot more paperwork to have a fixed range than the beach or river.. A bit strange, but a reality.

I guess that as soon as members of the publics are involved in the shooting you have to follow the painful bureaucratic pathway :-(

And you would be lucky if the local iwi does not get involved as well. Specially if it becomes a commercial venture!

@Beaker,
    I think you will find it id not so much the berm design which makes certifying a range for magnum calibres a pain - it is the larger associated danger zone. Have a read of the Police Range Manual

Just because the template (footprint) of a range is set for a 308 that does not mean larger calibers cannot be used .All it means is that there can/will be restrictions on how the larger calibers may be used i.e front & rear sand bags etc.
    As for the use of the 308 for a template the reason for that is that the Millitary have tested it in so many ways it would make your head spin ,such as ricohet & max elevation for distance etc.

@Gillie

Thanks for that. Yes had read it, but as far as I can work out, as long as sides, but and baffles above, (all constructed of material that would absorb/stop projectile, and you'd need to set a upper joule limit - which I think would be the allowable maximum calibre/round) contain the projectile within the danger zone (inside bermed/range area - no escape), you could shoot what ever calibre.

I don't mind doing some drawings and calcs to prove this, but don't like reinventing the wheel! So if anybody could help with some examples that would be great!!

@Beaker, you are assuming no projectile will escape the berms... Danger area is defined as that needed to contain overshoots and ricochets generated from a single shooter’s firing point.

Anyway if you are looking for range templating get in touch with the organisations already doing that depending on what sort of shooting you want to set your range up for (NRA, NZDA, Pistol or 3 gun, shotgun...)