Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this right?

Is this right?

I've just bought a Scope from Australia second hand but mint and the fuckers at Customs are stinging me with GST. What The Fuck! I thought it was only brand spankin stuff you had to pay GST on. Is this right?

Ejected
    What's the value?

$600 Aussie

hi, i think if the $ amount is over nz $400.00 you have to pay g.s.t

Even if it's second hand? That's crap!!

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Even if it's second hand? That's crap!!
    My first thoughts were how does customs know its second hand?

Just because of the packaging.....?

How did customs work out what the scope was worth Normie? Did it ship with an invoice even though it's second hand?

Yeah you're boned

When I get secondhand optics I always ask the seller to way understate the value on the customs thing

IE a Nightforce declared at $125

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    $600 Aussie
    Yup, you'll be paying GST alright, it's calculated that if the GST is more than $60 or the item is worth more than NZ$400 , they'll charge. If they think the price label is wrong, they'll use their own guidance - I think you'll find Customs have access to the interweb and have a fair idea of what the real prices of items are.

Customs fact sheet is here.

The downside to putting a false low price on it is if there's any damage to it, you will only be covered to that amount with the shipper. So if DHL drop your $1000 scope and the label on the box says it's only worth $100, that's the gamble you take.

It seems retarded that the government can take two bites of the pie. In this case both NZ and Aus got their slice. Stink.

Also Kscot - what is the max $ that any shipping outfit will pay for any claim. I'm betting it's no where near what some of us pay for optics and stuff. I would take the under stated invoice value all day every day and in the off chance something does happen I would be making a claim with my insurance company. I have saved WAYYYYY more by avoiding GST then what my excess is.

I guess it's the challenge that happens every day : no-one really wants to pay the full price yet we want that price if something goes wrong. Insurance for example ! I wrote DHL as a wild example, but I can't see any company willing to pay more than the labelled price that's all. NZpost for example covers for up to only $250 unless there's specific coverage.

But personally, if I'm going to hand over a fair amount of hard earned cash, I want to take whatever steps I can to protect that. Each to their own, there's no wrong method as I see it, it just means you go gulp, say bugger and move on. Or accept you have to pay extra on the price already paid a bit like why this thread exists.

Bugger. Seems I may have to sack up and pay the GST. The scope was insured for $650 Aussie through the shipping company I guess that is how they knew what GST to charge me. Even though I only payed $600 AUD for it. I will call customs tomorrow as it is a public holiday up here and explain it is second hand and see if that helps. If it does I will update this. Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.

Well I finally got hold of customs after 4 days of trying and the bastards are making me pay $171.27 GST. They even charge GST on the shipping I payed for it which was $58AUD to insure the item for it's value. I might try speak to someone in charge there and get them to clarify the rules. It doesn't seem right.

Info for anyone wanting to bring goods in

E-commerce and GST (E-commerce and tax)