Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryan
  • 1 Post By kotuku
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Sarvo
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: Rip Colin Meads

Rip Colin Meads

Played his last game, died at 81 earlier today.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah just saw that. Wasn't even a twinkling in my father's eye during his playing days but can safely say that his passing will be felt with equal respect by the South African rugby public.
    jakewire and EeeBees like this.

rest easy Pinetree your work on earth is done.like many in days to come I offer to lady Verna and the meads family our deepest condolences on the loss of a great family man but also a great NZ icon.
    truly one of world rugbys greatest treasures

He lived for those he loved ;those he loved remember.
    I am lucky i did see him play international rugby at lancaster park and my memory of it is still fresh today!A Fergie mcCormick up and under,allblacks hurtled up on the chase ,the great lions fullback Dr J PRwilliams turning his back to catch the ball -as he took it on the chest a huge running rangey meads shoulder took him fair in the arse cheeks .He lay in the mud legs up like a dead crab-.the old sst johns bloke(blue serge uniform ,redbands and galvanised bucket of magic water commented to noone in particular "-nice one meads -ok looks like the ref wants me"and trotted through the mud as the crowd cooed "hollywood hollywood,get up ya bugger ,be a man".very honest were those rugby fans of the 60s&70s
    Last edited by kotuku; 20-08-2017 at 03:17 PM.
    gadgetman likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    He was the hero of my youth! Our debt to the man who was legend in our national sport is immense. How many must his on field performance have inspired in to the game? To me he epitomised all that it is to be a man and all that it is to be a Kiwi. Saddened by his passing.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Certainly was Rushy I had the privilege of watching him play.
    He played 133 games for the ABS fom 57 -71 Remember this was back in the day of no AR reports, Yellow cards or TMO it got sorted on the paddock and left there.
    Played in 1970 in SA with a broken arm no less, I also remember the car accident and broken back he came back from that too

A three month tour with him and his likes wouldn't have been for the faint hearted!! Great man, 10/- a day when on tour and some one else ran the farm, played for his country, not the cash, true amature era. Not the beefed up cup cakes of today.. RIP Mr Meads.
    A mate once told me he got on the piss with him at the Red Star club rooms in Masterton, I think he was doing that ad, with Vera on taking deer antler products. Mate asked him if it really worked, he said it was a load of shit, but paid the bills, I can picture him saying it!!
    gadgetman and Sarvo like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

RIP PineTree, a true kiwi legend and alround good bugger.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

R93
    True ambassador for the game.
    RIP Pinetree.

I feel sorry for the wallabies next weekend as I am sure the All Blacks will honour him in Dunedin.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Frogfeatures likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I would suggest the Aussies are going to get a pasting on Saturday.

RIP a legend has certainly fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    RIP a legend has certainly fallen.
    Nah Mooseman, not fallen, not the legend anyway
    The man maybe down, but not the legacy, not in this country.

Yes RIP - Te Kuiti legend
    Knew him from Te Kuiti (more so his brother Stan) they farmed just down the road from us south of Te kuiti.
    I remember clearly Colin in full thorax plaster cast (I was about 10-12yrs at the time)
    Landrover accident - broken back for memory.
    Wish I could have been at the Statue unveiling in Te Kuiti a few months back.

These guys played for the love of the game - not money, he would go to Rugby practice after a full days shearing or fencing.
    Not like todays overpaid "show ponies"
    Maca49 likes this.

the game -The 1971 lions allblacks test at lancaster park.seated on temporary seats right beside the touchline.only later did i put 2+2 together and realise why those pommies kept falling out of lineouts,and how elbows could suddenly popup&down in the middle of a humungous scrum.John pring was the ref too i think??
    i should imagine in the big rugby club way over yonder (wherever that is)there'd be a few smiles and handshakes as pinetree walked through the gate!
    Sarvo likes this.