Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 13 Post By Ryan
  • 1 Post By Ryan

Thread: RIP: HILL, J. SGT PR 1743 - C SQN SAS, 6 RR

RIP: HILL, J. SGT PR 1743 - C SQN SAS, 6 RR

Name:  HILL, J. SGT PR1743 SAS + 6RR KIA 28-10-1972_preview.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  98.4 KB

45th anniversary of the death of my mum's first husband Jeff Hill. He was born in Liverpool in 1942. After the war his parents moved to Northern Rhodesia (present day Zambia) and Jeff joined the army and and soon joined and was badged as a member of C SQN SAS. Following the breakup of the federation in 1963 (Northern Rhodesia, Nyasaland [present day Malawi] and Southern Rhodesia [present day Zimbabwe]) he, along with many others took the "golden handshake" that was on offer.

He took up civilian occupation in Rhodesia and later joined the Rhodesia Regiment (a territorial / reservist regiment) and was serving with 6RR at the time of his death. He, along with a rifleman Private Duthie were patrolling in an open-top Land Rover in the Chete Game Reserve when the vehicle struck a ZIPRA anti-tank mine.

The mine detonated throwing both men clear, however for Jeff the vehicle came to land on him, crushing his lower abdomen and he eventually bled out. My mom sent me his final effects a couple of months ago. Aside from a typed letter from the Chief of Army - General Walls, the Mayor of Bulawayo, I have next to me a handwritten letter from the commanding officer of his unit. It reads:

6th Battalion Rhodesia Regiment
    Brady Barracks
    30th October 1972

Dear Mrs Hill

I know that at this time, words cannot fill the gap that Jeff's death has caused. When I spoke with him on Friday last, he was cheerful as usual and obviously held in great esteem by all. We have always found him willing and conscientious and we shall remember him with great affection.

He died doing a fine job for his country and we are all grateful for his conduct whilst serving with us. If it is any consolation to you, I want you to know that his comrades did all they could for him in last hour and that he displayed wonderful courage.

Do not hesitate to ask for any help you may need and rest assured that we shall be watching after your welfare.

Please accept my and my units' deepest sympathy.

Yours most sincerely

Leslie Moody (Commanding Officer)
    Beavis, EeeBees, R93 and 10 others like this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Wow, sobering and impressive
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

My youngest daughter is a Hill from England not NZ and I have also seen that pic before amonst their stuff.Creepy.
    Last edited by Paddy79; 28-10-2017 at 10:04 PM.

RIP.

I appreciate the supportive comments, thank you.

I post this to not only acknowledge the sacrifice of my indirect forbearer but to also provide an online reference for my son should I, or the documents I hold be destroyed.
    EeeBees likes this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".