Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Caretaker

Rod&Rifle Magazine Articles and Collections

Always on the lookout for old Rod&Rifle magazines I was pleasantly suprised when a good friend loaned me an old copy today.

Its a Volume 7 Number 6 Nov/Dec 1986, List price $2.75c

They are getting harder to find and I have a few favorites, like the issue with the motutapu island wallabie heading on the cover, which I cant find.

And any issue with a Sako or Sika in it

Neat reading Advertisements for brand new Sako Vixen, Forester and Hunter models for $999 dollars at andy tannocks hunting&fishing main st Palmerston north.
    And Graham Henry's testfires on Mulwex powders before they became ADI, a 500gram packet being $22 dollars.

Most of them contain real gems of information and are well worth reading again. Some great pics too

Like this one...Who is this handsome fella hunting Waterbuck in the Zimbabwe savannah

Im not sure which issue is my earliest, has anyone any really early issues of Rod&Rifle, or any favourites?

I have not seen any from the first few years.

Post up a pic of the cover if you can

Andrew R

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Don't think mine go back that far, but might have to have a look now.
    Did you get any of the year books?
    I think they were around that time , but could have ben later.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Caretaker
    Hi Shootm, I remember a year book with a collage of cover pictures on the front with a predominantly black font and background but havnt seen that copy for years.

I have lost count of the ones I have lent out and never seen again, not thats a problem as it good to keep them circulating and everyone enjoying them.

Basically speaking im sure that for every model of rifle we like to use there would be a Rod&Rifle mag out there with a review and testfire on that model. Its great reading up on the thoughts and findings of your own old favourite rifle.

Years ago in our Orchard smoko room we had a row of stacked R&R probably 6ft long, I read and re-read those copies many times over, rainy days were great !! Graham Henry, Graham Marshall, Norman Marsh and Gary Kemsley certainly provided a good read and knew their stuff.

Yes they were great magazines then from a simpler time. Gear you needed to hunt then, rifle (out of a selection of about 6 calibres) and boots, compare to now, range finders, suppressors, headlamps, bipods, $700 jackets!!!!!
    I have most from around that era also, Graham Henry was a good writer without all the flowery BS we get now.
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Have issue #1 around somewhere.

I have nearly all of them up to the mid or late 90s, then I realised that I like ducks, dogs and decoys and R&R doesn't really cater for my interests. Now I buy US and UK mags

Caretaker
    There would be some great reading in those old copys !

watching a OZ wildlife program on the serverly endangered brushtailed rock wallaby a couple of nights ago and thought about that article and the photo of the huge pile of carcases in that Mototapu issue
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    watching a OZ wildlife program on the serverly endangered brushtailed rock wallaby a couple of nights ago and thought about that article and the photo of the huge pile of carcases in that Mototapu issue
    There must have been quite a few in that pile thats for sure, are they fit for human consumption? Stirfry perhaps or too tough?

I have a great big heap of very old copies. You are welcome to pop in and rifle (excuse the pun) through them if you are ever in my town (or if I'm ever in yours I could drop them in).

Cheers

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I have a great big heap of very old copies. You are welcome to pop in and rifle (excuse the pun) through them if you are ever in my town (or if I'm ever in yours I could drop them in).

Cheers
    Much appreciated Tahr, if you ever want to shoot Sika just give me a pm and well have you shooting and carrying one in no time.
    I can provide the rifle and our extra "porters" can cook dinner.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Have issue #1 around somewhere.
    If you find it spiker can you post up a pic of the cover please. That would be great to see.

Seriously hot here today, Sunday I was freezin in about 9 degrees and today its prob 29 in the shade, saw some fat little Sika this morning, hope their manservants come out this afternoon, have been seeing them as early as 1pm.

When it gets real hot the stags love sitting on the tops of cliff faces, but I havnt seen any there yet this year.

Name:  rrifle mag2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  83.4 KB
    The earliest one I could find...tons of really good deals in there!!!

Caretaker
    Dirtyhabit, thats an early one there, great reading them again, pity the prices inside have changed a bit....

Just another outdoors addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhabit View Post
    Attachment 602
    The earliest one I could find...tons of really good deals in there!!!
    That issue has one of my fondest mag memories. I was talking of the Horrie Sinclear Wetlands just today with someone with quite some involvement in the wetlands. I have a few going back to 1980, as well as a few old "Outdoor" mags. I see they were first published in 1937! Some history there also..... another thread perhaps but interesting to see some really old Outdoor Mags.

I see Brendan used to have a centre fold. Some chic in CFM's holding a rifle advertising Elley 22 ammo.