Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rooffing Repair?

Rooffing Repair?

Hey guys

Looking at re doing our roof with tech screws as the old nails are had it. Anyone had theirs done recently and wouldn't mind letting me know what it cost them or someone in the industry? The house is 130 sqm2.

Cheers
    Wildman likes this.

I bought a battery powered driver/drill, a few boxes of screws and an afternoons DIY. All up cost less than $200 including the throwaway driver/drill that still works.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I bought a battery powered driver/drill, a few boxes of screws and an afternoons DIY. All up cost less than $200 including the throwaway driver/drill that still works.
    Ideally this would be the first choice but the next 5 or so months are going to be taken up with course's and work. Did you have difficulty removing the old nails without damaging the iron?

Do it yourself, it's easy and doesn't take long at all. Been chipping away at mine over the last year, an afternoon here and there, only got one section (steep pitch where I need a harness) to do then I'll water blast the roof and repaint it. I replaced about 60% of the iron while I was at it though.

Re damage, use a section of 50mm pipe to sit in the channel to lever on, spread the load and you'll do hardly any damage. Old nails come out easy, some heads break off and they're a bit of a pain.
    Maca49 and Steve123 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Do it yourself, it's easy and doesn't take long at all. Been chipping away at mine over the last year, an afternoon here and there, only got one section (steep pitch where I need a harness) to do then I'll water blast the roof and repaint it. I replaced about 60% of the iron while I was at it though.

Re damage, use a section of 50mm pipe to sit in the channel to lever on, spread the load and you'll do hardly any damage. Old nails come out easy, some heads break off and they're a bit of a pain.
    If they break off I just use a punch to drive the bit left in there out of the way. A bit of flat bar across the ridges also works. Generally want to be able to push the ridge down that you are working on in order to get the claw under the nail head. A lot of the nails could be removed by grabbing with finger and thumb.
    Maca49 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Some encouraging information gents cheers. Will run it past the wife when I am home and see what happens.

If they're lead heads you can just hook them out with the claw of a hammer it out touching the iron, like grubbing thistles with a thistle grubber. I did my whole roof in a weekend.

I use two hammers , a good one and a shit one . The good one used as the claw , the shit one for hitting the face of the claw hammer to grab the nail shaft . Now use the shit hammers handle under the good hammers claw to avoid damage to iron . (tip , stand on the iron near the nail to achieve a gap so the claw doesn't damage the iron/paint )
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I have to do this too at my place so thanks for the information

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  218.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Hey guys

Looking at re doing our roof with tech screws as the old nails are had it. Anyone had theirs done recently and wouldn't mind letting me know what it cost them or someone in the industry? The house is 130 sqm2.

Cheers
    Metalcraft on Maiden St have tech screws with huge washers. About $36/100 not sure how that compares to other options

Munsey didn't anyone tell you never to hit two hammers together? If you do ensure your wearing safety glasses, can shattered or chip the heads, shards fly!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Munsey didn't anyone tell you never to hit two hammers together? If you do ensure your wearing safety glasses, can shattered or chip the heads, shards fly!
    You ever actually seen it happen?, I've tried it a lot with no success.
    gadgetman, Munsey and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    That's why you use a shit one , chances are won't be hardened face . . Myth busters busted this one years ago using two eastwings , they tried there hardest and couldn't even get a chip

Used the same method with 2 hammers to remove heaps.No issue with chipping just buggers the stuffed one further.