Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Running 110v gear in NZ

Running 110v gear in NZ

Question for the electrical gurus.

If I want to run one 110v electrical thingy here in NZ, is this good enough / safe ?

1000W 240V to 110V/122V Step Down Transformer | Trade Me

Or is there something better ? Just don't want to blow up / burn the house down :-)

yeah that is what you need , most over seas 110 places use 60 hertz and we have 50 hertz ..... i wonder if it changes the pulses as well ?
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    yeah that is what you need , most over seas 110 places use 60 hertz and we have 50 hertz ..... i wonder if it changes the pulses as well ?
    no, 50 Hz in an 50 Hz out, volatge changes but not frequency, the one on tradme is 1000 watts (maximum) so roughly 4 amps in at 240V and 8 amps out at 120V. when they say "maximum" however i tend to take it with a pinch of salt as it generally means that thats the surge current not what can be drawn over a reasonable amount of time.
    it all depends what you are going to plug into it, decent sized electrical motors then its not enough, small to medium power draw and it will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    no, 50 Hz in an 50 Hz out, volatge changes but not frequency, the one on tradme is 1000 watts (maximum) so roughly 4 amps in at 240V and 8 amps out at 120V. when they say "maximum" however i tend to take it with a pinch of salt as it generally means that thats the surge current not what can be drawn over a reasonable amount of time.
    it all depends what you are going to plug into it, decent sized electrical motors then its not enough, small to medium power draw and it will be fine
    And the description they give does not match the picture which indicates that it will only be 500VA, which is less than half of the stated 1000W.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The question also needs to be asked is the unit double wound with isolated windings or an auto transformer with shared windings. Whilst good auto tranis are/were in common use they can be unsafe in fault conditions due to no separation between the primary and secondary windings. For example auto tranis are not permitted to be used with medical equipment.

I would imagine a lot of TradeMe shit is also not compliant. Wear good redbands whilst using methinks.

What is the appliance you wish to use?

@Kscott
    50 hertz verses 60 hertz think of it as rubbing you skin and building up heat. The 10 hertz diff will build up heat over a short time, you can over come it a little by getting a 230 v to 100 v step down. You'll have to have the amp draw and watts correct and if it's a motor the start amps will be trebble the run for a few seconds, so not big enough means it won't start. Try looking for a 110 v gen they are cheap as nobody wants them. I have a guy up here that would build you a transformer of the correct specs, they are not that expensive
    stumpy likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Further to Maca49's info, stolen from Mr Google of course -

60Hz motor will run 20% slower on 50Hz power supply
    This also results in 20% less power. Basically, running the electric machine slower usually means it will be demanding less power. That's good, as the motor also decrease 20% of its power, and the cooling fan is slow down too. But the critical factor here is the V/Hz ratio. It goes up 20%! Not good. This means that during parts of every power line cycle the magnetic structure of the motor will probably be overloaded.*

The only recourse here is to correct the V/Hz with the variable value that is easy to change – V the voltage. Lower the voltage with a transformer to correct the V/Hz ratio.

So yeah, drop voltage to 100v.

res
    We have electric stuff from all over the world so have a bunch of these boxs. Have had two cheep ones burn out-and I do mean burn. We now never have power through them when sleeping.

Sometimes things work ok, sometimes not-memorably suction pumps not up to the job in Indonesia, maybe the comments above about hertz explains why
    Using Tapatalk

Yep and you cannot change the Hertz
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

So, is there some sort of adapter that will make this run properly and safely?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...combo-110-volt
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    So, is there some sort of adapter that will make this run properly and safely?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...combo-110-volt
    Ah, there are a few local solutions for that issue. I will try and find the threads.Typically things like old Uniden power supplies.
    Have you seen Natchez's price for these, usually the cheapest around https://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-charg...-110-volt.html

Cheers, no I hadn't looked there,will do now.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-problem-3109/

What you do is obviously buy the cheaper 110v model. The only bit 110v is the power supply. The scales are all the same, run on 9v DC.
    There seems to be cases of success and failure using locally sourced power supplies though - typically JayCar switched mode units and old Uniden units.
    My Chargemaster came with a 220v power supply (back when there wasn't a huge price difference between 110v and 220v), a great clunker of a thing. I replaced it with a tidy JayCar switched mode one of much greater capacity than required. All went well for ages then the dispenser started stopping short of the desired weight. I thought the scales were kaput and priced a new one up. Then b4 I hit the buy button I tried the old clunker PS that came with it and away she went. No probs since. I checked out the JayCar unit and could not fault the mother.

So, as I said there seems to be some successes and failures using local PSs.

Need to get more response to your thread from those that have had success. Or start a new thread headed Chargemaster Power Supply.

BTW I seriuosly considered the latest Lyman unit. They are getting good press.

Thanks Zimmer.

@jakewire this is what I use on my Dillon scales, just sort the polarity
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  444.0 KB
    Boom, cough,cough,cough