Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Salute

Salute

Big salute to the maori battalion 100 years since they came home today thank you guys for your sacrifice
    wsm junkie, EeeBees, R93 and 8 others like this.

Now everyone pray a Muslim prayer?

theyve had their moment of glory now its our guys turn wonder will (our) the govt acknowledge them
    EeeBees likes this.

Not decrying Maori Battalion but there were thousands of other NZ troops naval seamen and airforcemen as well as a lot of people in servicing roles, making ammo and food as a couple of examples . Our wonen played a very significant part as well. Nursing being only one example. This government appears to have forgotten that but for those sacrifices they coukd well be under the hammer of communism or NAZI's.
    However, it is very noticiable on ANZAC day the maximum coverage Maori TV gives to our war memoirs compared to the pathetically minimal coverage by TV1 and TV3.
    gadgetman, EeeBees, Ryan and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Not decrying Maori Battalion but there were thousands of other NZ troops naval seamen and airforcemen as well as a lot of people in servicing roles, making ammo and food as a couple of examples . Our wonen played a very significant part as well. Nursing being only one example. This government appears to have forgotten that but for those sacrifices they coukd well be under the hammer of communism or NAZI's.
    However, it is very noticiable on ANZAC day the maximum coverage Maori TV gives to our war memoirs compared to the pathetically minimal coverage by TV1 and TV3.
    Maori tv really does have some fantastic content that other stations neglect. I was sceptical when it first started but I think I've happily had my first impression proven to be incorrect
    NRT and keneff like this.

i have respect for all of them

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Maori tv really does have some fantastic content that other stations neglect. I was sceptical when it first started but I think I've happily had my first impression proven to be incorrect
    They have the best coverage for ANZAC Day and generally anything military related.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Name:  wwii-propaganda-posters-500-60.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  83.9 KB

Who can identify the countries represented in this picture?
    NRT likes this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Sth Africa, India, Australia, NZ, Gt Britain, Canada, Gurhka's,

Mostly correct. No Gurkha. Difficult to tell from where exactly but the chap bringing up the rear is African.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I am seeing all three services (Army, Navy, Airforce) and mostly I agree with you Woody but don’t recognise any of the figures as representative of the Ghurka.

Regardless of that, my immediate thought on seeing Ryan’s March Past post was to call “general salute, present arms”. I guess it is a case of once a soldier, always a soldier.

As to Northdude’s original post and Woody’s previous post, we owe so very much to all of the men and women that contributed their service to WW1 regardless of whether it was on the front line, on the sea, in the air or behind the lines in field hospitals, camp kitchens or back home in munitions factories.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Salute. Respect.

I ws not sure about the black chap at the back so guessed Gurkha but maybe Ceylonese. Am curious to know.

I ws not sure about the black chap at the back so guessed Gurkha but maybe Ceylonese. Am curious to know.
    Black African units during WW II such as Kings African Rifles, Rhodesian African Rifles, 82nd (West Africa) Division all wore the slouch hat. Doesn't look like a slouch hat in the picture and the cap badge is almost impossible to discern so buggered if I know.

Was Hallie Selassi and Ethiopia involved, or Jordan? Abysinnia?