Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Sandblasting options

Sandblasting options

I have been getting involved with some repainting work at the port, part of which involves heavy duty paint removal from steel bollards.
    These things are suffering from years of cover up work, with no attention to rust etc, so we are getting them back to ground zero.
    Problem is that even using a compressor and small jack hammer type setup, 3 to 4 per day is about the limit.
    We have over 200 of the things to prep and paint.

I was thinking maybe some form of sand blaster could be the go, but we have to consider the fact that most of the waste will end up in the sea

I would be great if there was a way of A removing the coatings B recovering some or all of the waste product.
    Any suggestions welcome, as I really don't want to still be doing the bloody things at xmas
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

you could make a shield out of ply to stop the stuff going into the drink and lay plastic sheeting on the ground so you can then catch as much as possible.does anyone know how effective that dry ice blasting is compared to soda or sand blasting?

I was thinking along the lines of a ply shield etc, but it would be easier to have a recovery system built in.

Just discovered that the tool currently being used is called a Needle scaler. Effective but slow as
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I have been getting involved with some repainting work at the port, part of which involves heavy duty paint removal from steel bollards.
    These things are suffering from years of cover up work, with no attention to rust etc, so we are getting them back to ground zero.
    Problem is that even using a compressor and small jack hammer type setup, 3 to 4 per day is about the limit.
    We have over 200 of the things to prep and paint.

I was thinking maybe some form of sand blaster could be the go, but we have to consider the fact that most of the waste will end up in the sea

I would be great if there was a way of A removing the coatings B recovering some or all of the waste product.
    Any suggestions welcome, as I really don't want to still be doing the bloody things at xmas
    yes but the longer it takes the more $$ you get eh

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    yes but the longer it takes the more $$ you get eh
    Trouble is that we can only do the work when no vessels are in, so one day per week is all at the moment.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Make a collar like an inverted chinaman lightshield but with a tight fit and hinge pin. Collar opens like Pac-Man then swings shut tightly round the stem of the bollard. Perhaps try burning the paint off with decent blowtorch. (Image the heat retention when Jonathon seagull lands; he’s have something to squawk about eh.)

See where they can spare at least one bollard.
    Overhaul that one off site where you can blast and paint it with less issues.
    Then use it to replace the next one that needs worked on.
    That’s how it’s done elsewhere.

We will have sand blasting and UHP units in Nelson shortly, UHP could be the go, would only need scrim to catch the solids removed then its only water The units would get it back to original bare steel, farken noisy but effective and quick.
    Pengy and Shearer like this.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by nzfubz View Post
    We will have sand blasting and UHP units in Nelson shortly, UHP could be the go, would only need scrim to catch the solids removed then its only water The units would get it back to original bare steel, farken noisy but effective and quick.

That sounds like a n option. Maybe you could pm me some details .?
    Maca49 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    That sounds like a n option. Maybe you could pm me some details .?
    Done
    Pengy and Maca49 like this.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Pengy just be very careful with the residue, worksafe go absolutely off their head here for and dust or contaminants released into the environment. Have a customer here who does bridges, they’re just anal on him!
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Dry ice pellets fired thru a sandblast type unit, they do truck chassis with the stuff, in the end you are only left with the paint residue.

Sorry forgot to add, give Cold Jet NZ a call in Wiri, tell them what you are doing and see if they have the equipment to help you, if they do, it may be wise to see what the cost is to purchase it. If it worked out you could hit up all the harbour boards down South and have a nice little earner.
    40mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Pengy just be very careful with the residue, worksafe go absolutely off their head here for and dust or contaminants released into the environment. Have a customer here who does bridges, they’re just anal on him!
    I think "they" will be very very paranoid about any possible discharge or possibility of discharge of anything at all getting into the water.

Except 1080? There are Pengy, blast it with 1080! Solved, won’t even need a mask!��
    300winmag and 40mm like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough