Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By gonetropo

Thread: Security cameras lifestyle block

Security cameras lifestyle block

Neighbourhood is not the sleepy village it once was.I am thinking about putting cameras in place,Is any one in the trade or in the know of what works and what doesn't.Looking at maybe a three or four camera setup more for the house and sheds etc.

forget anything under 700tvl, by the time you zoom in for a face shot its useless.
    best place ive found to deal with is cam-tech in christchurch. good people, great backup

Cam-tec Solutions Limited
    Pengy and 308 like this.

Fulla
    I have thought about doing cameras. I'm just not sure how useful they would be. Instant notification might be good but I doubt the police would do much with the footage to help. I do have a dog and would like a second one.

ive installed lots of camera systems, the main use is as a deterrent. if a crim thinks he is being recorded he will go elsewhere. but as i previously mentioned there is no point in using cheap nasty gear as the evidence will be rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I have thought about doing cameras. I'm just not sure how useful they would be. Instant notification might be good but I doubt the police would do much with the footage to help. I do have a dog and would like a second one.
    Don't worry about the Police using the footage. The new normal is to post high quality footage straight to social media, until the crim turns themselves in.

As above,What I was thinking was more a deterrent thing,And it seems social media is what police use to do the leg work for them.I will contact cam tec. Are there any other systems people are using or recommend?

Don't bother with analog cameras, at the very least go to the HD-SDI/TVI (or several other acronyms). Which is higher Res over analog cabling.

There are quite a few IP systems out there now that are fairly plug and play, runs of Cat5 or Cat6 cabling and many have integrated POE ports on the recorder to power the cameras. You should be looking at 2-4 megapixel, although that said, as a rough rule of thumb the higher res the more noise you get in the picture at night.

Most IP cameras will have a few extra features you can play with, but it really depends how tech savvy you are.

IP cameras are good but there are cases of the manufacturer/importer having software in there that lets them snoop.
    HD is the best way to go, theres plenty to choose from but i would still go with cam-tec, they are a small company, no middle men etc but good product at a fair price

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    As above,What I was thinking was more a deterrent thing,And it seems social media is what police use to do the leg work for them.I will contact cam tec. Are there any other systems people are using or recommend?
    ive always found the black and tan system works the best aka rottweila

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ive always found the black and tan system works the best aka rottweila
    i find my black and white (bull terrier cross dogo argentina) works well too.
    northdude likes this.