Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Selling a house privately?

How hard can it be?

Is there any reasons why not to?
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Caretaker

Selling a house privately?

No reason why not.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Beats paying a commission to the real estate agent, just make sure you get no time wasters
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    you can get the agreements from Whitchoulls too - they are standard law society ones (same as they use)

A copy of the title would be a good idea so if anyone calls you have something to show them...access, easements, sewerage etc etc Might pay to run it past your conveyancing solicitor...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

done it 3 times now both buying and selling, as long as your using a selling and purchase aggrement and a decent lawyer it an easy way to save thousands of dollars for not much more work, it amazing how much word of mouth helps.

hey, we doing that at the moment. figured we would do it ourselves to save a bit of stack. just keep your house clean and tidy and lawns mowed put up a couple of decent!! well made signs and wait for the offers. its good no open homes etc and people just walk in off the street for a look. also put it on trade me, with plenty of photos.

Depends on where you live, as the real estate company has contacts which can be tricky to match as a private seller. Also take into account - are you in a rush to sell ? If not, hang until you find someone willing to pay the price you want.

It was interesting to talk to an agent the other day, most people these days are going through trademe and doing drive bys before they contact the agent. I figure we may as well put it on trademe ourselves for a start at least and see what happens.

Some people are very good at selling things and some just aren't (personality etc) If you are ok at cutting a deal and not into scaring off customers then why the hell not! As far as I can tell the agent that sold our last place just put it on tard for us.... I will definitely be taking them out of the loop next time

A plus for agents is that they take any emotion out of the deal - some people cant handle the attachment issues involved. Again - if you arent too neurotic then do it to it.

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    It was interesting to talk to an agent the other day, most people these days are going through trademe and doing drive bys before they contact the agent. I figure we may as well put it on trademe ourselves for a start at least and see what happens.
    Yup the interweb has given people the chance to do their own searching and research these days. On a side note I always google up reviews of products and generally there's a YouTube clip of what I'm wanting to buy.

House wise, get all the legal documentation nailed down from your lawyer, and then there's also HomeSell - Homes For Sale New Zealand NZ, Private Sale Real Estate New Zealand NZ - which combine your private sale with some marketing that may help. Just watch out for crazy people if you run an open home and make sure they sign the visitors book. No sign, no entry.

I'm in sales anyway so that side I'm not worried about, just the legal stuff

Righto. Best of luck

Yep, it's basically unanimous, put it on TM yourself, 99.9% of people looking for a house will be looking on TM. Definitely get your lawyer involved right early on, he/she will basically guide you through it. You usually also need their trust account for deposits to be paid into etc.

Don't underestimate the value of a good agent. I have sold twice, both times through agents, but I screen my agents first. Go by personal recommendations and get a good one.

Both times, I sold well above rv in a down market where homes all around us were selling well below rv. Even taking out commission, and don't forget everything's negotiable, I still did way better than selling it myself.

If you're in sales, you may do ok, but ten moment most people see a private sale where they are asking over rv, most will walk straight away.

John