Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By PillowDribbler
  • 1 Post By GravelBen
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 2 Post By hotbarrels
  • 1 Post By TheJanitar

Thread: Show us your music system

Show us your music system

Not sure if this topic has been raised before, but with all the good music being listened to on the "what you listening to" thread, there must be some good sound systems out there?

When I was a young lad my first sound system was a Yamaha amp and some Infinity Reference 30 speakers. Over the years I've have always stuck to Yamaha and Infinity, progressing from the Reference 30's to Reference 60's, Kappa 6.1's, Kappa 6.2's, and recently a pair of vintage Kappa 8's (renowned for being amp eaters due to their impedance dipping to 2ohm). Like guns, I am never keen to part with them, so I still own every speaker I ever purchased (much to my wife's puzzlement).

Due to my CRT TV dying last year I had to update to a new flat screen, which only had this HDMI thingy, so I had to upgrade my amp since it had not HDMI thingy ......??? Then the amp eaters came up at a good price so I had to slip a big power amp in ....... sounds like gun accessories!

Any way, my current system is:
    Panasonic 70" flat screen TV
    Yamaha RX-V781 amp (7.2 Ch MusicCast AV Receiver Dolby Atmos & DTS:X with 7.2 ch pre-outs)
    Crown XLS 2502 power amp for the mains (775W per channel into 4ohm)
    Parasound HCA-1000 (200W per channel into 4ohm) in stereo driving twin centre speakers
    Infinity Kappa 8 mains
    Infinity Reference 30 centres (twin speakers laying on their sides under the TV)
    Infinity Kappa 6.1's for the rears

It sounds good

I also have a Yamaha R-N402 in the family/dining area wired up to a pair of Kappa 6.2's.

I am really impressed with:
    1. the latest generation Yamaha amps and their integration to Spotify
    2. the Yamaha MusicCast system where it uses the wifi in the house and you can stream the same song to all the Yamaha devices at the same time so you can have seamless music throughout the house
    3. the music quality out of the Crown amp given its a pro music amp, not an audiofile amp, but at a fraction of the price for its power rating, I defy anyone to tell the difference
    4. the Kappa 8's are big and hungry, but they are beautiful and produce the goods, and you would have to go ballistic on price to find a modern alternative

Name:  20180123_193254.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  4.31 MB
    gadgetman, Beaker, Shearer and 4 others like this.

I kept it simple as heard the big Bose 901 back in the early eighties.
    I ended up with 2 sets running on a big Yamaha.
    It had been put away for a few years till the kids asked about a stereo for their rumpus room
    I got it all set up properly and the boys were down stairs when I turned it Up and were blown away that dad had a system this fearsome!
    The neighbours have given up trying get theirs louder than mine!
    Bose arnt every body's cup of tea but I like mine as I'm a bit of a Bose slut with quite a bit of other gear.
    Just waiting to score some good second hand qc35's some time soon

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelf speakers

Polk audio PSW10 Subwooder

Orb Mini-T Amp (yes thats my amp on my right hand speaker, 18650 for reference)

Hidden DAC

Name:  IMG_20180123_195702[1].jpg
Views: 131
Size:  2.61 MB Name:  IMG_20180123_195908[1].jpg
Views: 113
Size:  2.62 MB Name:  IMG_20180123_195954[1].jpg
Views: 132
Size:  2.94 MB
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

I know what you mean about not wanting to sell old speakers! :hehe:

Not quite in the same league as your system but heres mine... pieced together from various bargains over the years, also a bit of a Yamaha fan.

Lounge / home theatre system

Panasonic 42" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR503 (75w/ch 7.1, 10+ years old but still sounds good)
    Yamaha NS-8390 fronts
    Wharfedale Diamond 9CS centre
    Wharfedale Laser 90 surrounds
    Yamaha NS-E56 rear surrounds
    Wharfedale sub (I forget what model)

Living room / computer speakers:

Yamaha NX-N500 powered musiccast speakers (internal bi-amping, each speaker has separate 45w amp for woofer and 25w amp for tweeter). Great system for convenience and fantastic sound - based on their pro studio monitors but with the networking added and a few other clever gizmos like USB DAC capacity.

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-797 stereo amp (grunty old 100w/ch unit with a tank of a transformer in it)
    Panasonic ALL1C network adapter
    Currently a pair of old but crisp Celestion UL-6 monitors and old basic model Yamaha sub.

Was running Wharfedale Diamond 225 with the RX-797 which was an excellent combination, but one of them has packed a sad - looks like it got too hot and melted the glue that held the driver magnet onto the chassis, which let it droop out of alignment. Might be able to melt the glue again with a heatgun and push it back into place but I haven't tried yet.

I also have an assortment of headphones, but thats another story...
    hotbarrels likes this.

Here is an old photo of how I had the RX-797 and Diamond 225s set up for a while, seemed a good use of the dining table.

2017-05-15_08-18-17 by Ben, on Flickr

Being the cheap bugger I am I bought a $60 clearance integrated DSE 5.1 home theatre/DVD system many moons ago. Just about twisted the kids heads off with the first surround sound movie I chucked in it, "Ice Age." When the DVD part of it packed up I bought a Yamaha Amp and Sub and hooked that up to the DSE speakers and bought a separate DVD player of some sort. When about the third DVD player crapped out I bought a basic Samsung BluRay player last year and a Denon 7.2 amp as everything had gone HDMI which the Yamaha amp was lacking. Also added in a quad-core android box for a few games and youtube. Found the speakers from the Akai stereo that was really obsolete and added those to the speaker array. Total outlay as it stands is under $500 and have not cranked the volume up over about 25% yet, gets far too uncomfortable and sounds bloody good for the little outlay.

The amps and sub were all second hand and cost peanuts. I've never been too fussed on brands or how flash anything is. TV could do with an upgrade being only 26" and NOT FullHD. Trouble is finding somewhere to put a bigger TV because there isn't much wall. It's all windows and doors in the lounge.
    TheJanitar likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    Wharfedale Diamond 220 bookshelf speakers

Polk audio PSW10 Subwooder

Orb Mini-T Amp (yes thats my amp on my right hand speaker, 18650 for reference)

Hidden DAC
    Does that mini amp (20w?) drive the Diamonds ok? When I first got my Diamond 225s I was running them off a Pioneer 40w/ch amp, I thought they sounded pretty good... until I hooked the 100w Yamaha up and they just came alive. Not just talking about volume, but the sound quality improvement was remarkable.

Name:  2018-01-24 16.39.56.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.00 MB

Here's the TV setup. The Kappa 8's are 1.2m high and 1/2m wide so they are fairly prominent in the room.
    GravelBen and TheJanitar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I kept it simple as heard the big Bose 901 back in the early eighties.
    I ended up with 2 sets running on a big Yamaha.
    It had been put away for a few years till the kids asked about a stereo for their rumpus room
    I got it all set up properly and the boys were down stairs when I turned it Up and were blown away that dad had a system this fearsome!
    The neighbours have given up trying get theirs louder than mine!
    Bose arnt every body's cup of tea but I like mine as I'm a bit of a Bose slut with quite a bit of other gear.
    Just waiting to score some good second hand qc35's some time soon

The 901's are strange looking beasts. There have been a few pairs come up for sale on TM over the past 6 months but most had knackered speaker foams, and given the number of drivers in each speaker, the cost of repair makes them uneconomical. I have never heard them in person but have watched some video reviews on them. I do have a pair of QC35's and they are very nice, particularly when you want to zone out the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    The 901's are strange looking beasts. There have been a few pairs come up for sale on TM over the past 6 months but most had knackered speaker foams, and given the number of drivers in each speaker, the cost of repair makes them uneconomical. I have never heard them in person but have watched some video reviews on them. I do have a pair of QC35's and they are very nice, particularly when you want to zone out the kids.
    Luckily my speaker surrounds had been done.
    It's crucial the speakers are set up right for the Best sound.
    The ones on trade me have over priced I reckon
    I got my amp two speakers and equaliser for about $900 and my mk2 speakers for about $400.
    I think, as was a few haircuts ago

My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Does that mini amp (20w?) drive the Diamonds ok? When I first got my Diamond 225s I was running them off a Pioneer 40w/ch amp, I thought they sounded pretty good... until I hooked the 100w Yamaha up and they just came alive. Not just talking about volume, but the sound quality improvement was remarkable.
    yep, it drives them very well for what it is! only have to fill my bedroom with em Ive hooked them up to our big yamaha receiver in the lounge and they definitely go louder. Sound quality improved slightly to my ears, but i didnt do extensive back to back testing. I got the Orb audio mini T amp after lots of searching up online about mini amps.. It has a sub out!! perfect for movies.. I can get an old denon or nad amp second hand for peanuts online, and it would sound better no doubt, but i just dont have the space for such a large amp. And im very OCD with the minimalism of my setup
    GravelBen likes this.
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?