Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Small car for the daughter

Small car for the daughter

So the daughter will be after a small styled car in the not to distant future.
    Something along the lines of a Suzuki Swift, Toyota Vitz, Nissan Tiida, Mazda Demio/2, etc
    She wants an automatic hatchback.
    Should be suitable for travel from the Hutt Valley to/from Wgtn city (uni, friends etc)
    What makes/models should she be staying the hell away from?
    And what should she be looking at?
    As she's on a small budget - up to $10k - but ideally around $8k.
    I was thinking a 2005-2010 year

Thanks for any advice provided

Cant go past the Toyota corolla.....
    Kiwi Greg, Puffin, Maca49 and 5 others like this.

why on gods green earth does she want an automatic? but given that make sure its a real sequential auto bot a CVT piece of crap.
    mikee and Boaraxa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    why on gods green earth does she want an automatic? but given that make sure its a real sequential auto bot a CVT piece of crap.
    She cant drive a manual

learn, if she ever goes to europe its predominant.
    Boaraxa and Steve123 like this.

the in-laws have a tiida, its relatively zippy, not over economical. visibility out the front is pretty horrid due to the side window layout and the seats are definitely made for people under 5'10 and have no lumbar support.

haha just been down this path with my daughter she wanted an auto as well, @Scooby throw her in a manual dood so many reasons to learn how to drive a proper car first & the confidence that comes with it , yep my old hilux was wincing at the gear changes especially 2nd gear lol but the girl has her restricted & a small manual Toyota starlet & can drive it pretty good to , cracks me up shes starting to take the piss out of some of her mates leaning to drive an auto lol ...it gives me the warm fuzzys
    veitnamcam, mikee, 308 and 2 others like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

not to mention manuals are now holding their resale price higher than slush-o-matics

@longrange308

The autos are very good on hills to be honest. They can match the power/torque to whatever speed you're doing, particularly for a diesel. I still hate them, but they have their places.

Wellington seems to be the NZ home of the 'hot hatch'. They don't spare the right pedal either.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Finally bought an auto at 65, the ute is better in auto for takeoffs with trailers on, son has a manual Toy Corolla with 250+ ks on it, amazing vehicles. I now forget to use the clutch when driving, especially when I stop!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I finally bought an auto a year ago, after having driven manuals for years. When I test drove it for the first time, it was so easy to drive that after a while on the road my mind wandered and I forgot I was planning to buy the thing.

The ease of driving it, and the fact that it was nearly new (2006 Mazda / 1350 km / for $11k) sold me on it.

For me, auto's have their place.

@Scooby, the cars you specified in your 1st post seem to be basically on the right track. If it were me, I'd stay away from anything European.

Another issue not raised is that some work vehicles are manual, bit of a nuisance for the boss if you can't do 100% of your job as you learnt in an auto
    gonetropo likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    The Swift seem pretty reliable, partners daughter has clocked up over 100,000kms in hers with very little trouble and its done 245000kms now. Corrolla would be the pick of the bunch tho'

Avoid Demio as one of the most stolen vehicles in NZ. Inconspicuous for lowlife to cruise I guess.
    Savage1 likes this.

The earlier Swift's don't have a very good safety rating. That is one thing we looked for in a car for the kids. Never was an issue for me but now it cost very little more for peace of mind. We recently changed an old Nissan Sentra for a slightly newer Toyota & went from no air bags or ABS to all the safety bells & whistles. The Nissan was much more fun to drive, lighter & more power.