Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: So sad.. but what are your views ?

So sad.. but what are your views ?

I don't think this falls under the heading of politics (I hope not anyway)
    This 29-year-old will die on November 1 | Stuff.co.nz
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

No probs, cannot comment as haven't been there, but wouldn't denie others
    stingray likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have witnessed suffering on a scale beyond belief and have had a loved one in a medicated haze speak through an oxygen mask and say to me "you wouldn't do this to a dog". I am an absolute proponent for euthanasia Pengy. Who are we to deny somebody a dignified death on their own terms in order to end their pain and suffering.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I am for it,but to pin a date on it seems odd?

What if she is still capable of living a fulfilling life on the first of Nov? what if she is in agonising pain and unable to communicate it before the first of Nov?
    sako75 and Pengy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Better than a bullet, gassing in a car (although that appears to be not a bad way to go), hanging etc

ebf
    Yup, big supporter of this.

Any opponent should go spend a bit of time in a hospice environment.

It happens a lot on the quiet, would be good to legalise it and stop people being criminalised.
    veitnamcam and 199p like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

The medical fraternity take the Hippocratic oath...it is a curly subject this one. that is certain.
    Pengy likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

When you are fit and well you are in no position to judge, your outlook I think changes when all hope and avenues have been dashed.
    I've been sick enough not to care and I am very pro life, especially mine!
    stingray, Pengy and Scouser like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Big supporter of this choice this lady is making, and making it with a clear head, rather than doped up on meds slipping in and out of consciousness and thinking "damn, wish I had...." Also to her credit is to squeeze in a lot of life prior to the end.
    stingray and Scouser like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    No probs, cannot comment as haven't been there, but wouldn't denie others
    Yip, her life her choices.

Makes me want to live more every day, find the time, make an effort. Climb the hill, hug the kids, yarn and tell the best yarns. Wonder what's round the next corner then go have a look.
    Last edited by stingray; 09-10-2014 at 09:18 PM. Reason: To add
    gadgetman and SIKAHUNTER like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Euthenasia is wide open to abuse from all sorts of angles though - greedy relatives after an inheritance pressuring uncertain elderly people to end things sooner, supposedly 'clear-headed decision makers' suffering from undiagnosed or misdiagnosed mental illnesses like dementia or depression who would make a different decision with the right treatment, I'm sure you could write quite a list if you tried.

How many 'hopelessly uncurable' diseases have been cured? How would you feel if a loved one decided to end it, only for a cure to be discovered shortly afterwards?

The article reads like having 'a few months to live' is a significant factor in her choosing that path - what happens when a patient chooses euthenasia based on a wrong diagnosis? Liability? Can of worms...
    Last edited by GravelBen; 09-10-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Euthenasia is wide open to abuse from all sorts of angles though - greedy relatives after an inheritance pressuring uncertain elderly people to end things sooner, supposedly 'clear-headed decision makers' suffering from undiagnosed or misdiagnosed mental illnesses like dementia or depression who would make a different decision with the right treatment, I'm sure you could write quite a list if you tried.

How many 'hopelessly uncurable' diseases have been cured? How would you feel if a loved one decided to end it, only for a cure to be discovered shortly afterwards?
    That is a good point,however there are some very clear cut cases as above that should not be denied due to the possibility of exploitation as described in your post,which would be despicable and would no doubt happen in some cases but surely a coarse sieve would sort it?

Massively biased article though, nothing like presenting only one side of an argument to make it look good!

The one suffering?

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I have witnessed suffering on a scale beyond belief and have had a loved one in a medicated haze speak through an oxygen mask and say to me "you wouldn't do this to a dog". I am an absolute proponent for euthanasia Pengy. Who are we to deny somebody a dignified death on their own terms in order to end their pain and suffering.
    Me too Rushy. My mother even asked to be put to sleep before she got too bad after watching her mother go through it.

"you wouldn't do this to a dog".
    You would be prosecuted if you didn't do this to a dog. It is inhumane (un-human) to do it to anything other than our own (human) species. Alarm bells are ringing that something is wrong here!
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!